The Student Room Group

Why

Do they still teach Shakespeare in school,if so can anyone tell me why,I think it's about time he was put to bed.
Shakespeare is crucial to understanding the body of Literature, especially works written in English that came after him. To me, a lot of the reason to teach anything in school is to show students what has come before, so they can understand the foundation upon which the society we now live in was was built. That may seem to be only a question of history class. But it covers every subject imaginable, Literature not the least of these.Shakespeare obviously had an effect on written works after his day, but also, we should teach Shakespeare because of the effect he had upon our language. He invented over 1500 words that we use commonly everyday. And for that reason alone, students should read and understand his work (and that doesn't include the phrases that we consider cliches that come from Shakespeare's plays -- phrases like: laughing stock, sorry sight, as dead as a doornail, in a pickle and too much of a good thing).For me, however, it is the breathtaking beauty of his poetry and the complex and intriguing development of his characters that make him a must teach in school.
Original post by saladays
Shakespeare is crucial to understanding the body of Literature, especially works written in English that came after him. To me, a lot of the reason to teach anything in school is to show students what has come before, so they can understand the foundation upon which the society we now live in was was built. That may seem to be only a question of history class. But it covers every subject imaginable, Literature not the least of these.Shakespeare obviously had an effect on written works after his day, but also, we should teach Shakespeare because of the effect he had upon our language. He invented over 1500 words that we use commonly everyday. And for that reason alone, students should read and understand his work (and that doesn't include the phrases that we consider cliches that come from Shakespeare's plays -- phrases like: laughing stock, sorry sight, as dead as a doornail, in a pickle and too much of a good thing).For me, however, it is the breathtaking beauty of his poetry and the complex and intriguing development of his characters that make him a must teach in school.

Just what I was about to say.
Original post by Longshot6000
Just what I was about to say.

LOL
I'm also no fan of shakespeare and have a terrible time understanding his writing, but that's because I think logically and much more enjoy the sciences than the creative subjects. There are as many people out there who love Shakespeare as who dislike him.

Everything is significant to someone, and we have to respect that.
Because you kids need shakespeare not tupac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending