The Student Room Group

Reapplying to uni. Can I use my old reference from high school?

So basically I failed my first year at uni (last year).

I want to apply again now, however the reference part is problematic...I got my old application and reference off UCAS and my high school teacher says he will be a referee again and put in my old reference. However I wonder if this will be OK, considering I spent a year at uni and they will probably wonder why my reference wasn't done by a uni advisor/tutor. There is no way I can ask my uni advisor to write me a reference, I completely failed the year, didnt do anything and didnt hand in assignments, so all she could literally say about me is negative so that's out of the question.

So basically, if anybody has reapplied and used their old reference or a reference NOT from their previous uni, was it a problem for you and did your new uni contact you and ask for a reference from your first uni?

I am so stressed out about this....
People do this all the time, and most unis will be ok with it. Given you failed your first year at uni (and you will need to declare this on your application) you may want to discuss this with your referee- it would be great if he could acknowledge it, but say that from your track record at school he knows you're capable of better. If there are any extenuating circumstances, again these really need to come from your referee, not you. If he just copies and pastes your old reference with no mention of this year, that could look a bit weird to some admissions tutors.

It's really important that your personal statement doesn't become an explanation of why you failed and what went wrong- these things are much better in the reference. Your PS needs to focus on the new course and why you will do well at that course.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
People do this all the time, and most unis will be ok with it. Given you failed your first year at uni (and you will need to declare this on your application) you may want to discuss this with your referee- it would be great if he could acknowledge it, but say that from your track record at school he knows you're capable of better. If there are any extenuating circumstances, again these really need to come from your referee, not you. If he just copies and pastes your old reference with no mention of this year, that could look a bit weird to some admissions tutors.

It's really important that your personal statement doesn't become an explanation of why you failed and what went wrong- these things are much better in the reference. Your PS needs to focus on the new course and why you will do well at that course.

This is another thing I am confused about. Will they know that I failed? I know I have to declare that I did a year at university on the Education section, but it's not like they would know whether I failed or just decided to drop out by the application, so I don't know if my referee should even talk about the failure, or do unis contact you and ask you why you only attended for a year? My courses don't do intervies so this wouldn't come up unless they specifically asked why I left uni I guess?
Yes you can but I would change bits and bobs. Try to make it seem that this first year hasn't been a complete disaster.
Original post by lolakirk
This is another thing I am confused about. Will they know that I failed? I know I have to declare that I did a year at university on the Education section, but it's not like they would know whether I failed or just decided to drop out by the application, so I don't know if my referee should even talk about the failure, or do unis contact you and ask you why you only attended for a year? My courses don't do intervies so this wouldn't come up unless they specifically asked why I left uni I guess?

Unis can ask to see your first year transcript along with your other exam certificates, so they would find out once they saw this. Obviously, if you'd dropped out before the end of first year, you wouldn't have a transcript, but you'd be declaring you'd completed a year of uni on your UCAS form, not that you only attended for a partial year. It's better to be upfront about your situation, as if the uni later find out you've lied or misled them, your application might be considered fraudulent and any offers could be withdrawn.

Universities won't dismiss you because you've failed- they understand that not everyone gets it right first time around, and some will be willing to give you a second chance. It's not a good idea to try and lie or hide things, because the consequences are so serious if you're found out.
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Unis can ask to see your first year transcript along with your other exam certificates, so they would find out once they saw this. Obviously, if you'd dropped out before the end of first year, you wouldn't have a transcript, but you'd be declaring you'd completed a year of uni on your UCAS form, not that you only attended for a partial year. It's better to be upfront about your situation, as if the uni later find out you've lied or misled them, your application might be considered fraudulent and any offers could be withdrawn.

Universities won't dismiss you because you've failed- they understand that not everyone gets it right first time around, and some will be willing to give you a second chance. It's not a good idea to try and lie or hide things, because the consequences are so serious if you're found out.

That's the thing, I do NOT have a transcript, I did sit my final exams and all that, but I don't have any record of them. It was on my evision page of course, but after I failed them and was withdrawn from uni, I no longer have access to that and they never give me a transcript or anything for my first year. So if they ask me to see my first year transcripts, I dont have any so what do I even say lol. But the way I put it on the Ucas form is that I added my university and then chose the option 'Did not obtain any qualifications at this institution'
Original post by lolakirk
That's the thing, I do NOT have a transcript, I did sit my final exams and all that, but I don't have any record of them. It was on my evision page of course, but after I failed them and was withdrawn from uni, I no longer have access to that and they never give me a transcript or anything for my first year. So if they ask me to see my first year transcripts, I dont have any so what do I even say lol. But the way I put it on the Ucas form is that I added my university and then chose the option 'Did not obtain any qualifications at this institution'

I'd suggest contacting your former uni and asking for a paper transcript, just in case you need it.

Usually, if you complete a whole year of uni, pass, then leave, you'd receive a certificate of higher education. From the dates and the 'Did not obtain any qualifications at this institution', unis you've applied to will probably infer you failed the year.

As I said, failing doesn't have to be a big deal, and some unis may not mind if your reference doesn't mention it. However, if you want your application to be that bit stronger then having your referee state they think you can do better would probably help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending