The Student Room Group

N5 English Exam is this Thursday :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FourSeasons
I completely messed up question 8 of the close reading.

I was so happy about Originally coming up. That one was the poem I wanted!

And I got the essay question I wanted too. I did question 3, the key moment one on 'Of Mice and Men'

I think I might get a B :smile:

Was Q8 the contrast one? If it is then I think I messed up as well lol.

I quoted "Generations" and then explained the colon, But I think I've done it badly lol
Reply 41
Original post by _katie123123_
How much would they put the A mark up to like 75/80%???? Better not be that high!

nah, probably not

remember that the people that can be bothered to post in this thread are probably above average anyway

when we opened the close reading paper, i nearly laughed, but i looked around and at least 50 people out of the 150 had their heads in their hands
Original post by FourSeasons
If they do that, I'm screwed :s-smilie:

Me too! Don't worry though!! We'll get through it 😉 Plus we have our folio essays as well which will boost our mark up x
Original post by (bryn)
i think i mentioned that the brothers were crying, and i said something about the car

originally was my weakest poem, but wasn't the "red room which fell through the fields" supposed to convey that she was a child, i.e. a car from the point of view of a child?

Yes get in there brother! I mentioned that they were crying as well, and then I said something about her being uncertain or anxious moving to her new home.

I really don't know about that one. I heard it was something to do with a car as well or a train lol
Original post by (bryn)
nah, probably not

remember that the people that can be bothered to post in this thread are probably above average anyway

when we opened the close reading paper, i nearly laughed, but i looked around and at least 50 people out of the 150 had their heads in their hands

Yeah hopefully! You're giving me confidence 😊
Original post by A+Hunter
Was Q8 the contrast one? If it is then I think I messed up as well lol.

I quoted "Generations" and then explained the colon, But I think I've done it badly lol

Yeah it was the contrast there was like NO contrst which was obvious!! X
for Duffy for the question that asked about the effects of moving I quoted "your accent wrong." Saying it made the persona feel detached from where they are and the quote about the loose tooth. That simile and talked about the effect it had on the parents. Is that ok?
Yeah it was the contrast there was like NO contrst which was obvious!! X

Coming out of the close reading my friends told me a very obvious one and I face palmed lol.

It was the contrast with the word "Burning" and the movie "Frozen" loool.

Oh well, overall things weren't as bad as I expected them to be.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studyranger
for Duffy for the question that asked about the effects of moving I quoted "your accent wrong." Saying it made the persona feel detached from where they are and the quote about the loose tooth. That simile and talked about the effect it had on the parents. Is that ok?

I done "Your accent is wrong" and done the same as you there.

Then I quoted "Where no one you know stays" and talked about isolation.
I found the RUAE a lot easier than expected apart from question 8 I found it hard to make a contrast! Plus I was so happy it was on frozen!

I did my textual analysis on the painter my Iain C Smith and the questions were great and an essay 8 marker came up!

I did my essay on Havisham and the poem fit both poetry questions which I was happy about!

How did everyone else get on??
Oh yeah i didn't even notice that !!
Original post by Rebeccahughes15
I found the RUAE a lot easier than expected apart from question 8 I found it hard to make a contrast! Plus I was so happy it was on frozen!

I did my textual analysis on the painter my Iain C Smith and the questions were great and an essay 8 marker came up!

I did my essay on Havisham and the poem fit both poetry questions which I was happy about!

How did everyone else get on??

I did The Painter as well! did u link it to The Telegram for the last question?
I did The Painter as well! did u link it to The Telegram for the last question?

Yeah I did!! Such an amazing 8 marker!!
Yeah I did!! Such an amazing 8 marker!!

It was. i think english went better than i expected. when's ur next exam?
Reply 54
Well that wasn't that bad now was it!

RUAE wasn't too bad, But I may have lost marks on the last two questions.

The first few were really easy and overall it was a good paper.

TA for Duffy wasn't all that bad and neither was the Critical Essay.

Let's hope we all get the grades we want.

Yeah I'd imagine that would be okay. I done the same as you only that I quoted "Where no one you know stays" instead of the simile one, But they both seem fine :smile:
It was. i think english went better than i expected. when's ur next exam?

Geography tomorrow ugh!!! Wbu??
Geography tomorrow ugh!!! Wbu??

me too! its awful how close they are and then biology on monday! so stupid planning! good luck tomoz :smile: x
Original post by Jay431
Well that wasn't that bad now was it!

RUAE wasn't too bad, But I may have lost marks on the last two questions.

The first few were really easy and overall it was a good paper.

TA for Duffy wasn't all that bad and neither was the Critical Essay.

Let's hope we all get the grades we want.

Yeah I'd imagine that would be okay. I done the same as you only that I quoted "Where no one you know stays" instead of the simile one, But they both seem fine :smile:

Cool thanks, and for the question about accepting the move I talked about the brother swallowing the slug and the snake shedding its skin and for that I just talked about how the persona's accent has changed and linked it back?
Also what did people get for the contrsting question?
I honestly never thought I'd see the day when 1000s of pupils across Scotland would sit an exam based on Disney princesses!
Reply 59
Cool thanks, and for the question about accepting the move I talked about the brother swallowing the slug and the snake shedding its skin and for that I just talked about how the persona's accent has changed and linked it back?
Also what did people get for the contrsting question?

I also done the "shedding its skin like a snake". I can't remember what I wrote about, something about a simile.
Then I done "sounding just like the rest" and done something similar to you. I said that she/her body/tongue is now assimilating and adapting by her voice changing, So yeah basically the same as you.

For Q8 I quoted "Generations" and done something about a list

Quick Reply

Latest