The Student Room Group

Cheating in examinations

I've recently completed the practical part of my Computer Science exam and while It isn't great in my opinion, it'll do and I'd say I've done pretty well after seeing how it's been marked. However, I've been made aware that a friend had taken photos of said code and blatantly copied it out exactly - other than changing some of the variables 'names.
While I'm not a snitch, I find it concerning that my work and his have both been picked out to be sent to the exam board and I have no idea what to do.
Thoughts?
Original post by SKiTZoFReNiK
I've recently completed the practical part of my Computer Science exam and while It isn't great in my opinion, it'll do and I'd say I've done pretty well after seeing how it's been marked. However, I've been made aware that a friend had taken photos of said code and blatantly copied it out exactly - other than changing some of the variables 'names.
While I'm not a snitch, I find it concerning that my work and his have both been picked out to be sent to the exam board and I have no idea what to do.
Thoughts?

Has your teacher not picked up on this?
Original post by rayquaza17
Has your teacher not picked up on this?

I'm honestly not sure. While he is aware that it is my own work, I'm not sure how much he has looked at the friend in questions'.
I'd say something, even though you did not copy, if they trace it back to you, you can get disqualified from the gcse. It seems unfair I know, but it almost happened to me. Better safe than sorry
Have you had a word with the friend? They think its ok? If they annoyed me I would report them. Also keep all your work/ drafts different versions so if it did come to be qyestioned, then you can prove its yours.
Original post by 999tigger
Have you had a word with the friend? They think its ok? If they annoyed me I would report them. Also keep all your work/ drafts different versions so if it did come to be qyestioned, then you can prove its yours.

I have basically the same code written up on a separate account (my main school login and the assessment account) and written notes on parts which are almost identical but some minor parts I realized I didn't need.
While I don't want to be the one who plays the blame game, I also don't want to be disqualified. would this be sufficient evidence?
Original post by SKiTZoFReNiK
I have basically the same code written up on a separate account (my main school login and the assessment account) and written notes on parts which are almost identical but some minor parts I realized I didn't need.
While I don't want to be the one who plays the blame game, I also don't want to be disqualified. would this be sufficient evidence?

well all your code will be date stamped, I doubt they will bother at your level. For me it would depend on the friend and how annoyed I was. He has stolen your work.
Have you seen the code and how he used it? I think youd have enough plus ofc you are telling the truth.
Original post by 999tigger
well all your code will be date stamped, I doubt they will bother at your level. For me it would depend on the friend and how annoyed I was. He has stolen your work.
Have you seen the code and how he used it? I think youd have enough plus ofc you are telling the truth.

Well, since our task was to write a program to calculate a ballot victor, he's using it for the same purpose I am. I've seen that it looks almost the same as mine except that he has renamed his variables and the text displayed in messages. I'm not annoyed as such, I just don't want to have my CS grade marked U or all of my GCSE's voided.
You should be ok and you cna back it all up. If he isnt bright enough to do his own work then I doubt he would be able to explain what he has done.
Reply 9
I don't think copying code would get you disqualified. We were given hints to where the code could be found and we all basiclly have the same codes but we changed comments and things as with caesar cipher u basically would have the same code anyway

Quick Reply

Latest