The Student Room Group

As a virgin, Is there any point in getting the NHS cervical screening done?

I'm a virgin 24 year old and have received a letter from my GP which is inviting me to get my cervical screening done. The procedure looks painful so is there any point in me getting this done even though I'm still a virgin?
Reply 1
I think so, there's nothing wrong with taking extra precautions. You still have a low risk even though you are virgin.
Reply 2
Yes, definitely go. As far as I am aware, HPV is not the only cause of cervical cancer, just the more common, plublicised cause. It's so important to go to these things, even if you're scared. Make sure to ask your doctor any questions you have to put your mind at ease.
ask them if it wil laffect your hymen (if it hasnt already ruptured). generally, cervical cancer, in >90% of cases is caused by variations of the human papilloma virus.(usually 6,7, and 31 - there are ~60 types). in fact, I would recommend wearing your socks before wearing your undies to reduce the risk as HPV is the cause of warts, verrucas, skin tags etc (contact with undies in turn leads to potential contact with your privates so wearign socks first minimises vaginal / cervical contact with this). because the cervix is after the hymen, be warned about hymen ruptures.

but yes, being a virgin usually minimises risk of cervical diseases (so does the HPV vaccines such as giardasil)
Original post by _icecream
I'm a virgin 24 year old and have received a letter from my GP which is inviting me to get my cervical screening done. The procedure looks painful so is there any point in me getting this done even though I'm still a virgin?

No. If you call to ask the surgery they can confirm

And why are there so many stupid posts ITT :facepalm:
You should do it to be safe. Anything can cause cervical problems, being a virgin won't affect that, so it would be best to get the screening done to make sure everything is okay down there.
Reply 6
Original post by Hann95
Yes, definitely go. As far as I am aware, HPV is not the only cause of cervical cancer, just the more common, plublicised cause. It's so important to go to these things, even if you're scared. Make sure to ask your doctor any questions you have to put your mind at ease.

I'm guessing it'll be 10x more painful for me then since they will be using this massive metal object thing and I'm scared I'll end up in pain for weeks
I'm guessing it'll be 10x more painful for me then since they will be using this massive metal object thing and I'm scared I'll end up in pain for weeks

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/964.aspx?CategoryID=118&

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ask-the-expert/cancer/a11062/smear-test-for-a-virgin/

Call the practice and ask IMHO?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Don't go if you don't want to. I think it's ridiculous to turn down what is potentially a life saving screening out of fear. Your risk will be very low, but not having sex doesn't make you immune. I've had the HPV jab which reduces my risk, but I'll sure as hell be making sure to get myself to a screening when I'm of age to do so.
Reply 9

Most speculums are plastic these days, and they have extra small ones for virgins, so it shouldn't be as bad as you're imagining! However, you are allowed to opt out, and if you've never had any sexual activity (not just full sex) then your risk is incredibly low, so it's up to you how strongly you feel about it.

I didn't go for mine when I was called and was still a virgin, but it was done at 20 then, so the risk was even lower. I go regularly now.
Reply 10
Original post by Hann95
Don't go if you don't want to. I think it's ridiculous to turn down what is potentially a life saving screening out of fear. Your risk will be very low, but not having sex doesn't make you immune. I've had the HPV jab which reduces my risk, but I'll sure as hell be making sure to get myself to a screening when I'm of age to do so.

oh I missed the hpv jab so I'm gonna speak to my GP soon
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
Most speculums are plastic these days, and they have extra small ones for virgins, so it shouldn't be as bad as you're imagining! However, you are allowed to opt out, and if you've never had any sexual activity (not just full sex) then your risk is incredibly low, so it's up to you how strongly you feel about it.

I didn't go for mine when I was called and was still a virgin, but it was done at 20 then, so the risk was even lower. I go regularly now.

Ok cool so hopefully it won't hurt and cause any bleeding since it's plastic
Ok cool so hopefully it won't hurt and cause any bleeding since it's plastic

It might hurt, and it will almost certainly be uncomfortable and weird, but it shouldn't be too awful - tell them if it is! Speak to them beforehand and tell them you're a virgin, they can tell you if they don't think you need it, and if they do want you to have it, they can use the right kit.

Quick Reply

Latest