The Student Room Group

N5 English Exam is this Thursday :/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
In Sounds of the Day the "bangle of ice..." but isn't a metaphor, is it?

Damn it! I think I've done absolutely terrible at the Scottish Text
Reply 61
I am in Scotland from an year, so I am not sure how the result work. Do we get to see where we lost marks etc. or do we just get a grade?
Reply 62
Original post by jj1814
In Sounds of the Day the "bangle of ice..." but isn't a metaphor, is it?

Damn it! I think I've done absolutely terrible at the Scottish Text

I wrote that it is a metaphor as well, isn't it?
Reply 63
I have absolutely no motivation to study for geography! Oh well I was going to fail it anyway...
Reply 64
Original post by Yandex
I am in Scotland from an year, so I am not sure how the result work. Do we get to see where we lost marks etc. or do we just get a grade?

This is my first year sitting exams, So your guess is as good as mine lol.

I don't think we get our papers back, we just get a grade sent through the mail. If we want our paper back I think we have to ask the school. Not sure.
Original post by Jay431
I also done the "shedding its skin like a snake". I can't remember what I wrote about, something about a simile.
Then I done "sounding just like the rest" and done something similar to you. I said that she/her body/tongue is now assimilating and adapting by her voice changing, So yeah basically the same as you.

For Q8 I quoted "Generations" and done something about a list

It had to be contrasting I cannot remember what I wrote but it was really unusual. I think I quoted something like young in one paragraph and girls in the other paragraph and then said how she felt young but when asked if she has something many young people had she said no conflicting what she said IDK it was really hard that one. But for the disney question, i felt like i was saying the same thing in different ways or my five points were linked together. Anyway, what was the percentage of an A last year?
(For the simile i don't think it matters because it doesn't talk about techniques i think).
I hope they put the pass mark down, like 10% maybe?
That'll be fab :u:
Original post by FourSeasons
I hope they put the pass mark down, like 10% maybe?
That'll be fab :u:

Haha I wish :smile:
Original post by Yandex
When you get your results by post/text/email on 9th August(this year), you just get a grade, i.e. A, B, C, D or no award if you fail (although I really hope that doesn't happen to anyone who has worked hard and sat the exam)... Teachers at school get a breakdown, so you can ask individual teachers/ a head of year/ guidance teacher for that. The breakdown tells you what you got in each section of the exam (i.e. mark for paper 1, mark for paper 2, mark for folio/assignment), but it doesn't tell you exactly which questions you lost marks in/ what you got in each question. You can't get your exam paper back as exam papers are 'exempt from the right of subject access in terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and it is SQA’s policy not to disclose such materials' (SQA website- http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/35398.html).Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by Jay431
This is my first year sitting exams, So your guess is as good as mine lol.I don't think we get our papers back, we just get a grade sent through the mail. If we want our paper back I think we have to ask the school. Not sure.
Unfortunately, you can't get exam papers back as exam papers are 'exempt from the right of subject access in terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 and it is SQA’s policy not to disclose such materials' (SQA website- http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/35398.html). My full response to Yandex is above:smile:
Reply 70
Original post by studyranger
It had to be contrasting I cannot remember what I wrote but it was really unusual. I think I quoted something like young in one paragraph and girls in the other paragraph and then said how she felt young but when asked if she has something many young people had she said no conflicting what she said IDK it was really hard that one. But for the disney question, i felt like i was saying the same thing in different ways or my five points were linked together. Anyway, what was the percentage of an A last year?
(For the simile i don't think it matters because it doesn't talk about techniques i think).

Yeah. I done the contrast between "Glee to Frozen" and the other examples given But I said that it was a list or something lol. Overall that question was a killer lol. It was all going sunshine and rainbows until I got to that one lol. And the summarise one was a bit meh...

What did you write for the last question, the summary one?

For the disney one I wrote the following:
1) They like to keep things private.
2) They had no intention of making a part 2 of Frozen (I tried to use another word other than sequel... It didn't go well lol)
3) They instead produced a short clip.
4) They were fine with gaining money due to their advertisements (This one was something about the commercial bit)
5) Can't remember what I wrote here

I think it was 73% last year. Not sure though.

What did you all get for the second question which went something like "Show how Frozen was successfully?"
Original post by Jay431
Yeah. I done the contrast between "Glee to Frozen" and the other examples given But I said that it was a list or something lol. Overall that question was a killer lol. It was all going sunshine and rainbows until I got to that one lol. And the summarise one was a bit meh...

What did you write for the last question, the summary one?

For the disney one I wrote the following:
1) They like to keep things private.
2) They had no intention of making a part 2 of Frozen (I tried to use another word other than sequel... It didn't go well lol)
3) They instead produced a short clip.
4) They were fine with gaining money due to their advertisements (This one was something about the commercial bit)
5) Can't remember what I wrote here

I think it was 73% last year. Not sure though.

What did you all get for the second question which went something like "Show how Frozen was successfully?"

lol I can't even remember i put similar stuff to you though for some points like keeping things private, not sequel, I put down that they try to promote their films as much as they can, and I can kind of remember writing about the fact they screened frozen first to please fans IDK haha.
The summary one was a blur I remember putting more than 5 down I honestly put down what I could. It was different because it asked for her personality specifically. I put like she is funny, she can get nnervous, stuff about her relationship with her siblings and a whole bunch or random things I can't remember.
For the one about her preforming in hard situations what did you put for that?
It had to be contrasting I cannot remember what I wrote but it was really unusual. I think I quoted something like young in one paragraph and girls in the other paragraph and then said how she felt young but when asked if she has something many young people had she said no conflicting what she said IDK it was really hard that one. But for the disney question, i felt like i was saying the same thing in different ways or my five points were linked together. Anyway, what was the percentage of an A last year?(For the simile i don't think it matters because it doesn't talk about techniques i think).
74% for an A and 89% for an A1 last year (64% for a B, 54% for a C and 49% for a D in case anyone is wondering:smile:). You can get all of the grade boundaries for all of the subjects in the document 'Grade Boundaries 2015' on this page: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/63002.html and choose at the bottom what level you want to look at.Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 73
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 74
lol I can't even remember i put similar stuff to you though for some points like keeping things private, not sequel, I put down that they try to promote their films as much as they can, and I can kind of remember writing about the fact they screened frozen first to please fans IDK haha.
The summary one was a blur I remember putting more than 5 down I honestly put down what I could. It was different because it asked for her personality specifically. I put like she is funny, she can get nnervous, stuff about her relationship with her siblings and a whole bunch or random things I can't remember.
For the one about her preforming in hard situations what did you put for that?

My points for the last question are nearly the same as yours.

I wrote about how she gets nervous too easily when in front of large crowds, she gets intimidated, she's ambitious, her sister admires her bla bla lol.

For the hard situation one I commented on the word choice of "Hulking" or "Bulking" lol.. Can't remember, But I wrote that it suggests that the athletes or sportsmen were too strong or something which made her feel intimidated lol.
I quoted "Criticized" and then talked about how she failed to hit a note or something lol.

There was another thing I quoted but I really can't remember. What did you write?
Reply 75
Wait, are the percent needed for an A really going up? I don't get it. If SQA has said that 70% is an A then 70% is an A. I think it's kind of unfair to change the percentages now.
Original post by Yandex
Wait, are the percent needed for an A really going up? I don't get it. If SQA has said that 70% is an A then 70% is an A. I think it's kind of unfair to change the percentages now.
70% is the guide threshold for an A, but, the grade boundaries move up or down depending on how everyone who has sat a particular exam in a particular year has performed. The grade boundaries are only decided once the papers have been marked. If the exam was quite easy and people perform well (like last year's N5 English), the grade boundaries move up. If people perform poorly and the exam was too hard, the grade boundaries move down (like in last year's new higher maths). This basically means that each year, the same proportion of people in any given exam get an A, a B, a C, etc. So, in theory, if you are going to get an A and you do as well as all the other 'A grade candidates', you should get an A.Hope this helps...Let me know if it doesn't make sense:smile:
Reply 77
Lol I failed this so bad like I litterally did no revision and came up with random **** on the spot.. In the critical essay I tried so hard to remember quotes we went over in class

Atleast I learnt one thing.. dont try to cram 2 hours before an exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the comparing question I just wrote about how the writer was formal and adult like and then in the next section she was being a bit childish, I probably got it wrong but who knows????
Reply 79
Original post by Labrador99
70% is the guide threshold for an A, but, the grade boundaries move up or down depending on how everyone who has sat a particular exam in a particular year has performed. The grade boundaries are only decided once the papers have been marked. If the exam was quite easy and people perform well (like last year's N5 English), the grade boundaries move up. If people perform poorly and the exam was too hard, the grade boundaries move down (like in last year's new higher maths). This basically means that each year, the same proportion of people in any given exam get an A, a B, a C, etc. So, in theory, if you are going to get an A and you do as well as all the other 'A grade candidates', you should get an A.Hope this helps...Let me know if it doesn't make sense:smile:

I didn't know the grades can move! I understand now. Thanks for the info. Also, do you think this year the grade will go up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending