The Student Room Group

Finished first year of uni with 0 friends

I remember in my last year of school, everyone told me how great university was. You'll meet loads of new people, make so many new friends and your social life will be amazing is what they said but this hasn't been the case for me.

The course is great and it's what I want to do so leaving isn't the solution. I can't bare another 3 years of being friendless. Everyday is the same, I go to lectures/seminars and I'm on my own, sit in the cafe and I'm on my own. I do live at home which is maybe part of the problem?

For me, university is nothing like I was promised. There's so many cliques, I've not been invited out by any of my coursemates even once this year. It's just very difficult to stay positive.
Reply 1
Maybe, you should try and talk to a few people. Sit with some guys or girls and just get to know them, but dont worry you will make friends soon, as it just takes time
Original post by JC34
I remember in my last year of school, everyone told me how great university was. You'll meet loads of new people, make so many new friends and your social life will be amazing is what they said but this hasn't been the case for me.

The course is great and it's what I want to do so leaving isn't the solution. I can't bare another 3 years of being friendless. Everyday is the same, I go to lectures/seminars and I'm on my own, sit in the cafe and I'm on my own. I do live at home which is maybe part of the problem?

For me, university is nothing like I was promised. There's so many cliques, I've not been invited out by any of my coursemates even once this year. It's just very difficult to stay positive.

I would say, try joining societies at uni and see how it goes :smile: and try and be confident :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JC34

I finished uni and lost my friends. truth be told, you will meet people eventually (I never used to go pubs, clubs and hated going library, yet somehow I was able to be in charge of 3 socs at uni (well chaired 1 soc, president of 1 soc and pr officer of another). i made friends via extracurricular activities and its sad how that I no longer keep in contact with people.
Reply 4
As someone who is a home student themselves, I can definitely relate to this. Truth be told, I felt exactly the same as this for about the first three months of my course. While a lot of my old friends from Sixth Form moved away to university and moved on with their lives, I was still at home pretty much by myself (save for my best friend, who didn't go to university and decided to take an apprenticeship instead), and it was pretty hard to take at first, to the point where I seriously considered dropping out at Christmas. As someone else has already suggested, the way forward from my experience is to try and join some societies or even just to try and sit next to someone different in each one of your lectures, as you're bound to start talking to someone eventually! Five months on from feeling so low at Christmas, I've come a long way just by joining a couple of societies because I've now got a small, but great new set of friends, and I definitely feel like a much bigger part of the university now. What I would also say is don't bottle up how you're feeling about university either; it'll only stress you out more and make you feel worse because you overthink it and start believing that the problem is much worse than it actually is. Hope I've helped mate, good luck with it all :smile:
You can't just sit there and expect friends to magically appear without putting effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Join clubs and societies, be confident, be interested in people, be charming. Also in lectures, ask the person sitting next to you how are they finding the course, what is their opinion, introduce yourself.

Good luck!
As they all said you cant suddenly expect them to appear. You have to make an effort i.e the clubs and societies.
If you do Uni from home then I think you miss out on a lot of making friends becayse they are having dinner together, living together and going out in the evenings. Thats why you need to do the societies thing.

The cliques are becayse theyve bonded at other places i.e at their accommodation.
Original post by JC34

Devil's advocate here
Is this a problem? Is it neccessary to have some friends? Is it wrong to do things alone?

tbh though i'm a frinedless loser too so that will make 2 of us when i get to uni

Original post by RBalboa
Maybe, you should try and talk to a few people. Sit with some guys or girls and just get to know them, but dont worry you will make friends soon, as it just takes time

they'd be very uncomfortable and run away from me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending