The Student Room Group

I have paid for nearly all my exams even though I attend a 6thform.

I'm a bit annoyed, please tell me if I have a right to be annoyed.

So I paid for all my AS resits, which is fair enough. Fine.
I then paid for an A-level I study at home, that is fine.

All together that was £140 pounds.

Then I told my head of 6th form I didn't want to re-sit 2 exams after I paid for them and she said I cannot get my money back (£40).

Then a couple of weeks ago I was withdrawn from an A2 exam that my school is paying for because the teacher was angry with me for not handing in my coursework before easter. (Even though I was ill).

Now I'm having to pay for a really late entry fee, which is £40+

I'm only sitting 1 exam this year that the school is paying for. I am paying so much money because of a teacher who withdrew me. It is so upsetting.
?????
Not really seeing the problem. You paid for resits and you changed your mind, hence you lost your money.
You were withdrawn from an A2 exam because you failed to hand in courseowrk on time? You said you were ill. Sgouldnt you appeal or complain if you had a legitimate excuse? You are now putting yourself in for the exam, hence the late entry fee?

Isnt it a bit pointless getting upset now? Why not do that after the exam? It achieves nothing at the moment.
Original post by 999tigger
Not really seeing the problem. You paid for resits and you changed your mind, hence you lost your money.
You were withdrawn from an A2 exam because you failed to hand in courseowrk on time? You said you were ill. Sgouldnt you appeal or complain if you had a legitimate excuse? You are now putting yourself in for the exam, hence the late entry fee?

Isnt it a bit pointless getting upset now? Why not do that after the exam? It achieves nothing at the moment.

I don't understand why a refund wasn't possible?

Also they knew I was ill (they have medical evidence)but she withdrew me anyway after shouting at me down the phone.
I think it's bit excessive to get me to pay such a huge amount for a late entry because of one teacher withdrawing me off the course and not understanding the circumstances.
Reply 4
When you pay for something, don't expect the money back if you change your mind.

As for being withdrawn, you failed to hand in coursework at the end of the day, that's your problem and not the school's.
Original post by miaoni
When you pay for something, don't expect the money back if you change your mind.

As for being withdrawn, you failed to hand in coursework at the end of the day, that's your problem and not the school's.

Well what happens when you refund something at a shop? You get your money back.

But it wasn't the actual deadline, I was also ill?
Original post by I can't fail!
I don't understand why a refund wasn't possible?

Also they knew I was ill (they have medical evidence)but she withdrew me anyway after shouting at me down the phone.
I think it's bit excessive to get me to pay such a huge amount for a late entry because of one teacher withdrawing me off the course and not understanding the circumstances.

Because they have already used part of that money in administration and to register you. They were quite happy to let you sit the exam its you that decided you didnt want to. Thats your responsibility. Am amazed you think you are entitled to a refund this close to the exams.

If you think she was in the wrong, then make a complaint. Ask your parents to complain for you. You should have sought an extension.

£40 is cheap for an exam. If you think the school are wrong, then complain and get a refund. You should focus ion your exams for now , instead of working yourself up.
Well yeah it's much too late to ask for money back after deciding a resit, when the resit money deadline ends so does the refund I guess, because they then have to reenter you as a candidate and that money can't be given back to the 6th form because you decided to change your mind
Because they have already used part of that money in administration and to register you. They were quite happy to let you sit the exam its you that decided you didnt want to. Thats your responsibility. Am amazed you think you are entitled to a refund this close to the exams.

If you think she was in the wrong, then make a complaint. Ask your parents to complain for you. You should have sought an extension.

£40 is cheap for an exam. If you think the school are wrong, then complain and get a refund. You should focus ion your exams for now , instead of working yourself up.

I asked in February to be withdrawn (a week after I had paid).

I don't know what I can do, all my teachers just pushed it off because "she is pregnant, and hormonal". I don't really care if she is "Hormonal" when I now have to find the money to pay for something that could have easily been avoided.

It's not cheap. I think it's very expensive. I don't buy clothes, or anything, I've worn the same coat for 3 years and now I have to find £40 because someone was "hormonal".

I'm just very upset, I've been battling depression all year and situations like this makes everything feel so unbearable.
Original post by harinimnida
Well yeah it's much too late to ask for money back after deciding a resit, when the resit money deadline ends so does the refund I guess, because they then have to reenter you as a candidate and that money can't be given back to the 6th form because you decided to change your mind

I asked a long time ago, sorry if I didn't make that clear. I asked early February (right after the half term)
I asked in February to be withdrawn (a week after I had paid).

I don't know what I can do, all my teachers just pushed it off because "she is pregnant, and hormonal". I don't really care if she is "Hormonal" when I now have to find the money to pay for something that could have easily been avoided.

It's not cheap. I think it's very expensive. I don't buy clothes, or anything, I've worn the same coat for 3 years and now I have to find £40 because someone was "hormonal".

I'm just very upset, I've been battling depression all year and situations like this makes everything feel so unbearable.

Whether to give you a refund is up to the exam board and not the school. They are hard to get in most cases and its probably deemed to close to the exams.

If you believe the person was wrong and you shouldnt be paying then complain to the headmaster.

If you have depression then point it out along with support from your GP and parents. Its pointless getting upset. You need to focus on your exam. Put in a letter of complaint now and deal with it after.
Whether to give you a refund is up to the exam board and not the school. They are hard to get in most cases and its probably deemed to close to the exams.

If you believe the person was wrong and you shouldnt be paying then complain to the headmaster.

If you have depression then point it out along with support from your GP and parents. Its pointless getting upset. You need to focus on your exam. Put in a letter of complaint now and deal with it after.

They do have a letter. They had one when they withdrew me. I had a really bad few days before easter and that is when she withdrew me. :frown:

I know your right. Sorry. It's just a lot of pressure with exams on the way.

Just a difficult time.

Anyway, thank you.
They do have a letter. They had one when they withdrew me. I had a really bad few days before easter and that is when she withdrew me. :frown:

I know your right. Sorry. It's just a lot of pressure with exams on the way.

Just a difficult time.

Anyway, thank you.

Try and focus. Worrying doesnt score you marks in the exam, but revision might.

If you feel angry, then just keep writing it down on a piece of paper, then pit it away in a drawer. Deal with it after. It is just distracting you at the moment and you really don need to think beyond the exam. If you must then write another letter to the headteacher or ask your year master, form teacher, school counselor that you wnat it looked into after , thne leave it at that.
Try and focus. Worrying doesnt score you marks in the exam, but revision might.

If you feel angry, then just keep writing it down on a piece of paper, then pit it away in a drawer. Deal with it after. It is just distracting you at the moment and you really don need to think beyond the exam. If you must then write another letter to the headteacher or ask your year master, form teacher, school counselor that you wnat it looked into after , thne leave it at that.

Yes, I understand. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending