The Student Room Group

AS Physics practicals 2016 spec

Are the required practicals going to appear in both paper 1 and 2 or just paper 2. the spec says they will only come up in the second paper but my teacher said they could potientially come up in both

Any clarification?

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by runningcat
Are the required practicals going to appear in both paper 1 and 2 or just paper 2. the spec says they will only come up in the second paper but my teacher said they could potientially come up in both

Any clarification?

The application such as the explanation of the photoelectric effect and exploring youngs modulus, diffraction, double slits will come up in paper 1, you could be asked 6 markers (on the setup),general calculations for them, explanation etc. On paper 2, 20 marks of short and long answer questions on practical skills and data analysis. So that could also include 6 mark experiments, reading vernier callipers, working out averages etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Calzs34
The application such as the explanation of the photoelectric effect and exploring youngs modulus, diffraction, double slits will come up in paper 1, but not the experiment side, more calculation and explaining how. The actual experiments (i.e a 6 marker explaining a setup will be in paper 2). Hope that makes sense.

Thanks! Although how do you know that explaining photoelectric effect, young modulus, diffraction and double slits are coming up in the first paper?
Thanks! Although how do you know that explaining photoelectric effect, young modulus, diffraction and double slits are coming up in the first paper?

I don't, just examples of topics that could come up :smile:.
Original post by Calzs34

Well .. Could you possibly go into more detail with as to what will appear in Paper 2? I basically have no practical knowledge and i have no idea what will come up.
Reply 6
Original post by Calzs34

Ah thank you! :smile: How is revision for the papers going?
In all honesty its a struggle

Any idea of what practical will be coming for this time's physics unit 3 paper?

what exam board do you do?, I do AQA and the wording is hard!
Original post by vintage456

Hard is an understatement... :/ I think my main fear is not being able to answer questions and the perhaps running out of time :frown: how are you finding it?
Original post by Someboady
Hard is an understatement... :/ I think my main fear is not being able to answer questions and the perhaps running out of time :frown: how are you finding it?

well, in the sense that the mark scheme answers are too specific. I have done most past papers and content revision, my main focus now is to make sure I do most of the practicals so that I understand the procedure well.
well, in the sense that the mark scheme answers are too specific. I have done most past papers and content revision, my main focus now is to make sure I do most of the practicals so that I understand the procedure well.

Yeah agreed.. they are quite specific. Idk it feels like the specimen papers are MILES harder than the old physics papers. Yep I need to do the practical skills.. I still have no idea how to do any of this practical crap. Two and a bit weeks left.. wish me luck :'(
Anybody doing edexcel here?
Original post by Someboady
Well .. Could you possibly go into more detail with as to what will appear in Paper 2? I basically have no practical knowledge and i have no idea what will come up.

Paper 2 will be spilt into 3 sections:

QuestionsSection A: 20 marks of short and long answer questions on practical skills and data analysis
Section B: 20 marks of short and long answer questions from across all areas of AS contentSection
C: 30 multiple choice questions

The multiple choice and section B will be like paper 1 in that they can come up with anything really, though the multiple choice is typically more maths based.

It's going okay at the moment, got 42 and 47 in the specimen papers which I wasn't too pleased about, but I have room for improvement! It is a struggle especially as we're the first year soo annoying, hopefully they'll compensate that with lower grade boundaries, how's your papers going? If you need help I might be able to just shoot me a PM :smile:.

Original post by Nethmioysters

Physics unit 3? Sorry I only do AS physics, not sure what unit 3 is :smile:.
Original post by Calzs34
Paper 2 will be spilt into 3 sections:

QuestionsSection A: 20 marks of short and long answer questions on practical skills and data analysis
Section B: 20 marks of short and long answer questions from across all areas of AS contentSection
C: 30 multiple choice questions

The multiple choice and section B will be like paper 1 in that they can come up with anything really, though the multiple choice is typically more maths based.

It's going okay at the moment, got 42 and 47 in the specimen papers which I wasn't too pleased about, but I have room for improvement! It is a struggle especially as we're the first year soo annoying, hopefully they'll compensate that with lower grade boundaries, how's your papers going? If you need help I might be able to just shoot me a PM :smile:.

Physics unit 3? Sorry I only do AS physics, not sure what unit 3 is :smile:.

My bad for not giving the full description. I meant the edexcel AS physics practical paper (paper 3/unit 3). Not familiar?
do practicals come up on paper 1??
I was going to revise practicals after the first exam because we have a few days till the 2nd exam?
just great:colonhash:
My bad for not giving the full description. I meant the edexcel AS physics practical paper (paper 3/unit 3). Not familiar?

Sorry i don't know as I don't do edexcel, only AQA, best of luck in the exam.
Reply 17

What unit 3 are you doing and exam board?
Reply 18
Original post by Ishea16
do practicals come up on paper 1??
I was going to revise practicals after the first exam because we have a few days till the 2nd exam?
just great:colonhash:

Quoting from the spec, it says that practical skills will be tested in paper 2 but not paper 1 so I am going to spend the days after my first physics exam revising those.
Although, im not doing the first one without a bit of knowledge about the practicals. This a new spec, god knows what they'll give us. Given what they did at GCSE.
Reply 19

I do AQA too! I know what you mean.
I did one of the specimen papers for homework and it was so horrible! The mark scheme was very unusual and the answers just as bad. I'm currently doing the other specimen as a mock in class and honestly, its just as bad. I don't know whether I am actually going to pass this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending