The Student Room Group

N5 English Exam is this Thursday :/

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yandex
I didn't know the grades can move! I understand now. Thanks for the info. Also, do you think this year the grade will go up?
I'm not sure- it depends on how people performed...I sat the higher paper today, so I have no idea what the national 5 was like!
Reply 81
Original post by Labrador99
I'm not sure- it depends on how people performed...I sat the higher paper today, so I have no idea what the national 5 was like!

Oh, I didn't know you were higher, thanks anyway.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Yandex
Oh, I didn't know you were higher, thanks anyway.
:smile:
I was doing Edwin Morgan poems as well. How did you find it?
Reply 84
I did MacCaig for my set text (was NOT expecting Sounds of the Day, but I'm not moaning). It was quite fair. Did Question 4 - an interesting character - on Animal Farm for my TA and it was AWFUL. Just awful. However, I thought the RUAE apart from Question 8 was p*ss easy. I'm hoping for a B.
Did anyone else quote "high-grossing" for how successful frozen has been??
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone else did sailmaker for Scottish text
And how did you find it?
Original post by Jay431
My points for the last question are nearly the same as yours.

I wrote about how she gets nervous too easily when in front of large crowds, she gets intimidated, she's ambitious, her sister admires her bla bla lol.

For the hard situation one I commented on the word choice of "Hulking" or "Bulking" lol.. Can't remember, But I wrote that it suggests that the athletes or sportsmen were too strong or something which made her feel intimidated lol.
I quoted "Criticized" and then talked about how she failed to hit a note or something lol.

There was another thing I quoted but I really can't remember. What did you write?

yeah hahaha I wrote about practically something about the footballers I can't really remember but I also wrote something about singing in cold temperatures which I was not sure about
Reply 88
Did anybody think the Edwin Morgan poem questions were really weird? what did you write for the last question? :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by ___Sophie___
I think the close reading went really well, we got a great essay question but I'm really worried about the Scottish text as I got the poem I liked the least. I hope I can still get an A though but I'm not really sure.
How did you find it?

I found it really weird the Edwin Morgan poem questions 😁 Hope it's ok though how did u find them? :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by studyranger
yeah hahaha I wrote about practically something about the footballers I can't really remember but I also wrote something about singing in cold temperatures which I was not sure about

Yeah the bit about "Sub zero temperatures". I was gonna write it, But it was too hard for me to explain it lol.

For the 8 marker on Originally what did you do?

Did you answer both imagery and word choice or just one of them?

I done word choice for Originally to highlight the theme of isolation.
Then imagery for Anne Hathaway to highlight love.
Then I done an additional word choice on Havisham to highlight Betrayal.
Wbu?
Reply 91
Hey there, I did Sailmaker aswell! :smile:
I found the questions to be easier than expected mostly. For the 8 mark question I wrote about how Alec relied on his father less and less and how him putting the ship away in the glory hole represented him putting away the relationship he had with his dad. What did you write?
Original post by ellie.w4
I found it really weird the Edwin Morgan poem questions 😁 Hope it's ok though how did u find them? :smile:

Yeah the question where it was part b of the question with two parts was really weird, I'm pretty sure I did that one wrong.
For the 8 mark question I compared it to in the snack bar and said that both poems showed the human issue that people can be judgemental, I'm not sure if that's right though, it probably isn't. I think the other questions were ok so I hope I'll still get an A.
I would have been happy with any other poem. :frown:
What did you do for the 8 mark question?
Original post by Jay431
Yeah the bit about "Sub zero temperatures". I was gonna write it, But it was too hard for me to explain it lol.

For the 8 marker on Originally what did you do?

Did you answer both imagery and word choice or just one of them?

I done word choice for Originally to highlight the theme of isolation.
Then imagery for Anne Hathaway to highlight love.
Then I done an additional word choice on Havisham to highlight Betrayal.
Wbu?

I just did imagery and talked about the theme of loss because in originally she loses her identity and compared it to Havisham and Anne Hathaway. Because they both lost their love
Original post by Labrador99
74% for an A and 89% for an A1 last year (64% for a B, 54% for a C and 49% for a D in case anyone is wondering:smile:). You can get all of the grade boundaries for all of the subjects in the document 'Grade Boundaries 2015' on this page: http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/63002.html and choose at the bottom what level you want to look at.Hope this helps:smile:

Thanks, if they keep it around the same for an A maybe I will be ok :smile:
I found the RUAE much easier than I expected. The first six questions were nice, the seventh was a bit dodgy, and Questions 8 and 9 were brutal. Regardless I managed to answer all of them to a nice standard. I think I've secured at least 20 marks.

The set text was a gift. I did Kidnapped, and the first four questions were a blessing. Two easy 4 markers and two 2 markers.... but then the 8 marker came up and it was one that none of us had prepared for as it was a very unique question (all the previous 8 markers had focused on a certain character or a certain relationship), asking us to show how Stevenson created drama or tension through the novel. But it was a very general question, so I could basically use some quotes that I had somehow managed to remember, and I managed to fully structure the mini-essay so yay

The critical essay.... eh, I could have done better. It wasn't my best attempt but it certainly wasn't my worst. If I get a Category 3 mark or below for it I'll probably cry xD

I also learned that some people are mental enough to consider Elsa an emo.
Original post by Salenite
I found the RUAE much easier than I expected. The first six questions were nice, the seventh was a bit dodgy, and Questions 8 and 9 were brutal. Regardless I managed to answer all of them to a nice standard. I think I've secured at least 20 marks.

The set text was a gift. I did Kidnapped, and the first four questions were a blessing. Two easy 4 markers and two 2 markers.... but then the 8 marker came up and it was one that none of us had prepared for as it was a very unique question (all the previous 8 markers had focused on a certain character or a certain relationship), asking us to show how Stevenson created drama or tension through the novel. But it was a very general question, so I could basically use some quotes that I had somehow managed to remember, and I managed to fully structure the mini-essay so yay

The critical essay.... eh, I could have done better. It wasn't my best attempt but it certainly wasn't my worst. If I get a Category 3 mark or below for it I'll probably cry xD

I also learned that some people are mental enough to consider Elsa an emo.

Didn't sit the exam myself this year, but what is this "Emo Elsa" all about? Heard some murmerings but I have no idea what it's about.
Original post by MartinDUFC
Didn't sit the exam myself this year, but what is this "Emo Elsa" all about? Heard some murmerings but I have no idea what it's about.

There was this line that said something about "with her grandiose sulks, Elsa could be the first emo princess in Disney", or something like that. All I remember is 'grandiose sulks' and 'emo princess'. :P

This resulted in swathes of mockery on Facebook and Twitter afterwards.
Reply 98
Original post by FourSeasons
I honestly never thought I'd see the day when 1000s of pupils across Scotland would sit an exam based on Disney princesses!

my thoughts exactly!! I had a feeling everything was going to be relevant to the issues today like war or something but then i saw the title! found it not too bad but the contrast question really caught me off guard and i literally spent 20 minutes on it.
Reply 99
Original post by Jay431
Yeah. I done the contrast between "Glee to Frozen" and the other examples given But I said that it was a list or something lol. Overall that question was a killer lol. It was all going sunshine and rainbows until I got to that one lol. And the summarise one was a bit meh...

What did you write for the last question, the summary one?

For the disney one I wrote the following:
1) They like to keep things private.
2) They had no intention of making a part 2 of Frozen (I tried to use another word other than sequel... It didn't go well lol)
3) They instead produced a short clip.
4) They were fine with gaining money due to their advertisements (This one was something about the commercial bit)
5) Can't remember what I wrote here

I think it was 73% last year. Not sure though.

What did you all get for the second question which went something like "Show how Frozen was successfully?"

Did how they were secretive of their projects or something and did real life adaptions of their classic films. For the next question i used word choice which was stratospheric

Quick Reply

Latest