The Student Room Group

Get nervous before driving lessons.

Hello,

One thing I've found is that, despite having taken driving lessons for over a year now, I still get extremely nervous before them. When I'm doing it I tend to be fine, my instructor says I'm getting to the point where I can take my test, but for some reason it's like I immensely worry about them for the week, sometimes longer, leading up to it. To me it's a bigger deal than going to school, or I worry about it more, rather.
Reply 1
Hey :smile:

I used to be like this with driving lessons too. I would dread them and I would be a nervous wreck an hour before it and once I got there I was fine and made some muck ups generally made some improvements with every lesson. I later realised that it was my instructor that made me feel this way. We didn't click, he was too slow at teaching and I just didn't feel comfortable around him. Now, I have a great instructor who is more like a friend and I couldn't feel more comfortable around her and every lesson is a laugh and I look forward to each lesson. I've had five lessons with her and done more with in those lessons than in all the 13 lessons with my old instructor.

Do you get on good with your instructor or do you think your nerves stem more from your driving ability? I try and take mistakes I make while on lessons as a laugh and try and brush them off but it can be hard if you have quite a stern instructor.

I've heard a lot that people get nervous being their lessons, even those like you who have been at lessons for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

One thing I've found is that, despite having taken driving lessons for over a year now, I still get extremely nervous before them. When I'm doing it I tend to be fine, my instructor says I'm getting to the point where I can take my test, but for some reason it's like I immensely worry about them for the week, sometimes longer, leading up to it. To me it's a bigger deal than going to school, or I worry about it more, rather.

I was exactly the same. Driving is a big responsibility because you're completely in charge of something that could kill someone. But then so can taking a medicine without knowing you're allergic to an ingredient, or eating a meal with the risk of choking. Everything you do has risks associated with it, and you can't avoid taking risks.

The more driving you do, the more confident you'll be, as well. Would it be possible for you to get insured on a family car? If a family member is uncomfortable with being in the passenger seat, aks your driving instructor if they can sit in the car during a lesson so they can see how you drive and how the instructor helps you. My Dad did this and it really helped!

Something I would definitely recommend is that, although it will be more expensive, continue your lessons a little longer than your instructor recommends before taking your test. I had done around 60 hours of driving with my instructor and probably about the same with my Dad before I took my test, and because I'd had so much practise and everything was second nature to me in the driver's seat, I passed first time with no minors. Make sure you feel ready rather than your instructor judging that you're ready!
Original post by Spock's Socks
Hey :smile:

I used to be like this with driving lessons too. I would dread them and I would be a nervous wreck an hour before it and once I got there I was fine and made some muck ups generally made some improvements with every lesson. I later realised that it was my instructor that made me feel this way. We didn't click, he was too slow at teaching and I just didn't feel comfortable around him. Now, I have a great instructor who is more like a friend and I couldn't feel more comfortable around her and every lesson is a laugh and I look forward to each lesson. I've had five lessons with her and done more with in those lessons than in all the 13 lessons with my old instructor.

Do you get on good with your instructor or do you think your nerves stem more from your driving ability? I try and take mistakes I make while on lessons as a laugh and try and brush them off but it can be hard if you have quite a stern instructor.

I've heard a lot that people get nervous being their lessons, even those like you who have been at lessons for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard about people having bad instructors like that, but no I'm extremely lucky in that, first time, I got an instructor who's basically like how you described your new one. :smile: To be honest, I think it's just me. I guess I'm kind of a nervous person generally who just seems to be anxious about everything. I don't know why I'm like that.... :tongue:
Original post by carrotstar
I was exactly the same. Driving is a big responsibility because you're completely in charge of something that could kill someone. But then so can taking a medicine without knowing you're allergic to an ingredient, or eating a meal with the risk of choking. Everything you do has risks associated with it, and you can't avoid taking risks.

The more driving you do, the more confident you'll be, as well. Would it be possible for you to get insured on a family car? If a family member is uncomfortable with being in the passenger seat, aks your driving instructor if they can sit in the car during a lesson so they can see how you drive and how the instructor helps you. My Dad did this and it really helped!

Something I would definitely recommend is that, although it will be more expensive, continue your lessons a little longer than your instructor recommends before taking your test. I had done around 60 hours of driving with my instructor and probably about the same with my Dad before I took my test, and because I'd had so much practise and everything was second nature to me in the driver's seat, I passed first time with no minors. Make sure you feel ready rather than your instructor judging that you're ready!

I have my driving test in 5 and a 1/2 weeks time. I told my instructor that I will be skipping next weeks lesson because theres still lots of time and want to spend less money. Is this bad?
I've failed my test before because of nervousness and changing lane too quickly.
Original post by Naveed-7
I have my driving test in 5 and a 1/2 weeks time. I told my instructor that I will be skipping next weeks lesson because theres still lots of time and want to spend less money. Is this bad?
I've failed my test before because of nervousness and changing lane too quickly.

I'd still have it if I were you! It might be the difference between paying for another test or not!
I'd still have it if I were you! It might be the difference between paying for another test or not!

I think your right. I also might need to have as many lessons as possible in the last few weeks to improve my confidence and my chance of passing the test.
Original post by Naveed-7
I think your right. I also might need to have as many lessons as possible in the last few weeks to improve my confidence and my chance of passing the test.

Of course it's your choice, and depends on yours and your instructor's availability, but I think that sounds like a good plan :smile: Good luck! :h:
Of course it's your choice, and depends on yours and your instructor's availability, but I think that sounds like a good plan :smile: Good luck! :h:

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by similarBlank
Hello,

Maybe for the issue of safety its best to suspend the driving until your anxiety is sorted. If lessons with your friendly instructor cause extreme nervousness then how would you cope with an examiner who is a total stranger to you? Added to that you're on your own and have to contend with the heavy traffic getting stuck in a traffic jam where there is no way out.

During a test there is the possibility that under all the stress you might freeze and have a panic attack and faint at the wheel which could cause a serious accident.

See your GP about getting some CBT therapy or medication then resume with the driving lessons once you've learnt how to cope with such anxiety. Remember its your own safety, the examiners safety and other road users safety to consider.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
Maybe for the issue of safety its best to suspend the driving until your anxiety is sorted. If lessons with your friendly instructor cause extreme nervousness then how would you cope with an examiner who is a total stranger to you? Added to that you're on your own and have to contend with the heavy traffic getting stuck in a traffic jam where there is no way out.

During a test there is the possibility that under all the stress you might freeze and have a panic attack and faint at the wheel which could cause a serious accident.

See your GP about getting some CBT therapy or medication then resume with the driving lessons once you've learnt how to cope with such anxiety. Remember its your own safety, the examiners safety and other road users safety to consider.

As I said, I'm fine during the driving lessons. It's before the driving lessons that I get anxious. I've been taken them for over a year, there is no more a safety risk than with anyone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending