The Student Room Group

can we stop with this ludicrous assumption that beauty is completely subjective?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
beauty is only skin deep. it is what is deep inside you that matters.

Bear, why do I feel like you intended this as innuendo? :holmes:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Bear, why do I feel like you intended this as innuendo? :holmes:

:cry2:

i was only trying to be helpful :colondollar:
Original post by carrotstar
I don't understand what's so funny? I'm just not attracted to anyone else :dontknow:

haha jokes
Original post by NewcastleFresher

Dem aestethics, huh?
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Dem aestethics, huh?

see the last page :colonhash:
Original post by Kurogane
x

😳..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
😳..

That made me laugh a lot :lol:
Attractiveness is subjective, if it was objective- no one would have a choice in who they liked...

Society has portrayed a certain image to be 'more attractive' which explains why people are attracted to the features found when you look at it objectively, such as the strong jawline etc, because they are characteristics seen in heroes, saviours, models, gentlemen, beauty queens etc.

We are almost conditioned to think that those features are attractive as they are always seen in 'better people', such as growing up watching superman- he has all the distinct characteristics of an 'attractive male' and he's a good guy and other people seem to like him, therefore we can start to believe it to...

Just my opinion on the matter :smile:
Original post by MonicaG12
Attractiveness is subjective, if it was objective- no one would have a choice in who they liked...

Society has portrayed a certain image to be 'more attractive' which explains why people are attracted to the features found when you look at it objectively, such as the strong jawline etc, because they are characteristics seen in heroes, saviours, models, gentlemen, beauty queens etc.

We are almost conditioned to think that those features are attractive as they are always seen in 'better people', such as growing up watching superman- he has all the distinct characteristics of an 'attractive male' and he's a good guy and other people seem to like him, therefore we can start to believe it to...

Just my opinion on the matter :smile:

strong jaws and cheekbones have always been attractive to women, its literally a manifestation of good genetics
i dont know how this is the product of social conditioning

you seem completely ignorant to basic evolutionary biology
(edited 7 years ago)
I think there are certain features that we're inclined to find more attractive. It's personal but to deny some shared innate preference seems foolish.
(edited 7 years ago)
It is subjective to an extent. There is an Eurocentric standard of beauty around the world.
I know people who don't find Brad Pitt attractive.

Attractiveness is subjective. You can see that if you look on any thread on here related to what users find attractive in a person - preferences range from each end of the spectrum and conflict because each person's taste in individual.
Original post by Straighthate
im pretty sure if you got brad pitt, and asked the entire planetary population to rate him on a scale of 1-10, the results would probably follow a binomial distribution, with his mean score at 9.9999999999999

Beauty is subjective, the only scientifically proven objectivity of human attraction is symmetry of the human face (RHODES G, PROFFITT F, GRADY J & SUMICH A. Facial symmetry and the perception of beauty, Psychonomic Bulletin & Review). The reason for this may lie in an evolutionary principle (although this is only a theory) that suggests that assymetrical facial features were a symptom of parasitic infection, which is detrimental to fertility. Therefore, early humans/ancestors attracted to assymetrical (ie infected, ie infertile) mates were unable to pass of their genes, and were bred out of the population (VS Ramachandran, Hirstein, ‘The Science of Art: A Neurological Theory of Aesthetic Experience’)

Sorry but this relates to my EPQ

Also I just can't find Bradd Pitt hot. Give me Tom Hiddleston any day though.
Original post by Straighthate
definitely not true

but it is true if you take the last FHM 100 sexiest Mary Berry got 62 or something and I don't find her sexy where the Duchess of Cambridge and Emma Watson didn't even place and I find them very sexy .

Quick Reply

Latest