The Student Room Group

they are stopping my benefits, i think i need to get a job

i have just had the news today that they have stopped my esa and there is a 99.9% chance that i won't get it again, because of my student finance loan/grants. So I think i will get a job after getting my masters at the end of next academic year. Forget doing a phd!!??!!

After all do people really think i have spent the last five years of my life at uni, because i like reading?!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do you need ESA to apply for a PhD?
Reply 2
Original post by estel

I would like to get a job to provide me with income and a mode (motivation) for living. I have been at school for over the past ten years, and to be honest with you I don't know if i can stomach it for much longer. I am 35 you know?
Have you ever had a job before?

At your age if you have no job history you may find it difficult getting your initial job. Though you may find it difficult in general if you have had a job in the past but have had a significant break in between employment unless the whole time can be accounted for with education.
Reply 4
Original post by SophieSmall
Have you ever had a job before?

At your age if you have no job history you may find it difficult getting your initial job. Though you may find it difficult in general if you have had a job in the past but have had a significant break in between employment unless the whole time can be accounted for with education.

I have worked in a number of voluntary positions before. Plus i have spent 7 of the last nine years in education, and two of them in secure psychiatric hospitals. thanks for asking sophie.
Reply 5
Original post by john2054
i have just had the news today that they have stopped my esa and there is a 99.9% chance that i won't get it again, because of my student finance loan/grants. So I think i will get a job after getting my masters at the end of next academic year. Forget doing a phd!!??!!

After all do people really think i have spent the last five years of my life at uni, because i like reading?!?

Original post by estel

What is an ESA please?
Reply 6
Original post by M14B
What is an ESA please?

ESA = employment support allowance, a benefit i used to get because i am unable to work because of my (mental) disability. But they have stopped that now, so i will have to tighten the belt strings, and see if i can live off my dla, and wife's income (and student money). thanks.

ps if you don't know what dla means, google it okay?
Reply 7
ESA = employment support allowance, a benefit i used to get because i am unable to work because of my (mental) disability. But they have stopped that now, so i will have to tighten the belt strings, and see if i can live off my dla, and wife's income (and student money). thanks.

ps if you don't know what dla means, google it okay?

Thanks for the reply.

Spoiler

Reply 8
Original post by M14B
Thanks for the reply.

Spoiler

With how many gems, and you still don't know how to use a search engine? really??
Reply 9
With how many gems, and you still don't know how to use a search engine? really??

I can search of course.
But I come here to interact.
Reply 10
Can you appeal?
Can I ask about the nature of your mental disability, just for the sake of curiosity really? Your condition doesn't seem to affecting you academically I would've thought you would do well in the job market, unless it's social anxiety related maybe.
Reply 12
Original post by Airmed
Can you appeal?

If I do appeal, and it wouldn't be the first time, maybe i should. But to be honest with you i don't like the way the job centre constantly tries to make me feel like *poo* and make me beg for my pennies.

To be honest with you i have worked as hard as anyone else over these last five years, to get my degree. And finally seem to have had it pay off with a two one. Now i need to get a job with this education, and make something of my life.

Like i said already i am still getting DLA, so i will still have about ten pounds a day to buy my coffees with. It's a good job that i don't drive, yet anyway!>?!
Reply 13
If I do appeal, and it wouldn't be the first time, maybe i should. But to be honest with you i don't like the way the job centre constantly tries to make me feel like *poo* and make me beg for my pennies.

To be honest with you i have worked as hard as anyone else over these last five years, to get my degree. And finally seem to have had it pay off with a two one. Now i need to get a job with this education, and make something of my life.

Like i said already i am still getting DLA, so i will still have about ten pounds a day to buy my coffees with. It's a good job that i don't drive, yet anyway!>?!

I would focus on trying to get a graduate job once your degree has finished up and save for the PhD that you mentioned you want in your first post. :h:
Reply 14
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
Can I ask about the nature of your mental disability, just for the sake of curiosity really? Your condition doesn't seem to affecting you academically I would've thought you would do well in the job market, unless it's social anxiety related maybe.

Thanks Befuddled, i would be happy to say that i don't have one. But i have spent over three years altogether in acute psychiatric wards, the last two which were all together five years ago. i literally started uni on day release from an open hospital.

Plus this degree has been difficult, given my condition. I have had to see a support worker at uni, and a community senior nurse, at home, every week each for an hour, for the last five years as well, so i have had support as well.

I would like to think that i can get a job, and on paper it would seem that i can. But I know that there is a definite stigma attached to people like me, as well as a criminal record, which also could be a problem as well.

I am physically quite week, and prone to singlemindedness, which could also be a problem. I'm not saying that i can't get a job, but just that being 35, and having as the best things on my cv, the fact that i was awarded the visas for my wife and step daughter in 2013, doesn't look good, to employers does it?
But surely if you're well enough to study full time, (which usually involves a lot of personal study as well as attending uni regularly) you are well enough to work? Even if it's part time.
Reply 16
Original post by Tiger Rag
But surely if you're well enough to study full time, (which usually involves a lot of personal study as well as attending uni regularly) you are well enough to work? Even if it's part time.

This is why i'm trying to get a job. But i know at least one friend who used to work and claim benefits, plus he gets double what i do (/did).

Plus i still have to take my fortnightly injection of zuclopenthixal, a very powerful anti-psychotic. If i wasn't ill, then why would they force me to take this drug??

jr
This is why i'm trying to get a job. But i know at least one friend who used to work and claim benefits, plus he gets double what i do (/did).

Plus i still have to take my fortnightly injection of zuclopenthixal, a very powerful anti-psychotic. If i wasn't ill, then why would they force me to take this drug??

jr

That's two different things. You can have a long term illness and still work. I know people who do.
Reply 18
Original post by Tiger Rag
That's two different things. You can have a long term illness and still work. I know people who do.

That is why i'm looking for a job. I put in an application today.
Jesus you're doing a Masters and claiming that you need to get a job but you can't be arsed? Depending on what you're doing you can join many grad schemes once you finish also sort out your driving licence, a lot of jobs require people that can drive even if you don't actually travel for the job itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending