The Student Room Group

When you think about it, none of us are real...

I mean people talk of humans having souls, i.e. having a level of existence beyond our physical bodies, but fundamentally every living and non-living thing is basically just a specific configuration of atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons) and specific electrical patterns generated by those atoms - electricity itself just being the discharge of electrons from those atoms.

In other words, what I am saying is, how can there be a soul, when your thoughts, your feelings, you dreams, your hopes and fears are each nothing more than a specific electrical pattern, and each and every human being is basically nothing more than a specific configuration of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daimonos
I mean people talk of humans having souls, i.e. having a level of existence beyond our physical bodies, but fundamentally every living and non-living thing is basically just a specific configuration of atoms (electrons, protons, neutrons) and specific electrical patterns generated by those atoms - electricity itself just being the discharge of electrons from those atoms.

In other words, what I am saying is, how can there be a soul, when your thoughts, your feelings, you dreams, your hopes and fears are each nothing more than a specific electrical pattern, and each and every human being is basically nothing more than a specific configuration of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen atoms?

I totally agree.
How much does justice weigh?
Reply 3
When you realize your brain named itself
Reply 4
This is deep.
Reply 5
Original post by Daimonos

And that reminded me of a song.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aarora
This is deep.

Not really that deep, all he/she has said is souls don't exist which there never was any evidence for.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is depressing :sad:
STOP
Reply 9
Are you saying electrons, neutrons and protons aren't real? :curious:
#deep
Humans are not special. The whole thing about humans having souls is just to make it sound like we are something more superior to animals, when reality we are not. We both live life and then die one day, that's it.
Reply 12
Think about it, the why we can think in the way we do, why we can invent things, everything got atoms and whatever elements and electrons going through them, but why us, only humans can think of a new things, new ideas, technology.

If all the humans are same in terms of electrons atoms and electrons, why we think differently? Why we are unique? Why we have emotions?

I'm not religious person, but I think soul exists, if it doesn't, I'll be very disappointed :biggrin:

Or maybe you are right, maybe we, ourselves are artificial intelligence? Maybe higher "beings" created us an we are in "comuter game" ?

:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by loveleest
Humans are not special. The whole thing about humans having souls is just to make it sound like we are something more superior to animals, when reality we are not. We both live life and then die one day, that's it.

I haven't seen a pig studying for gcse exam or dog writing a programme in computer :biggrin: I think we are superior :h:
Original post by lNurl
Think about it, the why we can think in the way we do, why we can invent things, everything got atoms and whatever elements and electrons going through them, but why us, only humans can think of a new things, new ideas, technology.

If all the humans are same in terms of electrons atoms and electrons, why we think differently? Why we are unique? Why we have emotions?

I'm not religious person, but I think soul exists, if it doesn't, I'll be very disappointed :biggrin:

Or maybe you are right, maybe we, ourselves are artificial intelligence? Maybe higher "beings" created us an we are in "comuter game" ?

:biggrin:

We ain't the same, every brain is different.
if you think real hard, cars are actually driving us
Reply 16
Of course.
we have soul until we don't prove its does not exist at al . Actually the wavefunction is a complex quantities which describe real systems very well. So being unreal is not the big deal???
Original post by physicst
we have soul until we don't prove its does not exist at al . Actually the wavefunction is a complex quantities which describe real systems very well. So being unreal is not the big deal???

There's no reason to assume a soul exists.
Original post by lNurl
I haven't seen a pig studying for gcse exam or dog writing a programme in computer :biggrin: I think we are superior :h:

No, I meant our lives are not superior to animals. We both live and die. There is no "afterlife" that a lot of people believe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending