The Student Room Group

How could you operationalise:

Happiness, Intelligence, Memory, Aggression ?!?!
Original post by freyaa6
Happiness, Intelligence, Memory, Aggression ?!?!

This falls more into the psychology area which I'm not particularly familiar with, but I'll try my best. If you want to set up an experiment to record an individuals emotions or brain function, you should design the experiment in such a way that you can measure these factors to the best of your ability.

Happiness for example, if you wanted to set up an experiment to measure someone's happiness, you can look for common symptoms or actions which are as a direct result of someone's happiness. This can be defined as subjective actions such as smiling, laughing and general reaction to a stimulus. How could you record this? Measure the amount of laughter, the length, the loudness ect... Alternatively, you could measure someone's happiness by performing a brain scan at intervals after being subjected to a stimulus, and comparing it to a scan before the stimulus.

For intelligence, you can typically measure this by using intelligence tests such as general knowledge quizzes, specific topic quizzes or IQ tests. Memory can be measured by showing subjects multiple stimuli, asking them to repeat them and measure their answers. Aggression can be measured by other means such as interactions with other individuals, reactions following a stimulus and brain scans.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest