The Student Room Group

Rhodes Must Fall founder - "NO white person shall rest"

Scroll to see replies

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/rhodes-campaigner-oxford-university-student-refuses-to-tip-white-waitress-until-land-is-returned-in-a7009786.html

This is just another example of how bigoted and racist the Rhodes Must Fall campaign is. The past is the past, deal with it and move forwards to a better future, not one that divides people further.
"Because of colonialism"

The guy forgot that it was the white people he's so racist towards that actually freed the slaves dying in the hundreds of thousands.
To be honest I don't tip people either. But thats just because I am stingy. Would she have cried if that was the reason?

And why the hell are people giving this girl so much money?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Somebody already made a thread about this last week.
Totally agree but you can't just dismiss historical events because 'the past is the past', it is important we do remember what happened so we see how far we've gone and gain an appreciation for the world we live in.
'Pulls out racist card'
White tears...
Original post by lolatmaths
Totally agree but you can't just dismiss historical events because 'the past is the past', it is important we do remember what happened so we see how far we've gone and gain an appreciation for the world we live in.

He didn't say we should dismiss it, we just said that it wasn't necessary bringing it up over a simple thing like tipping waitresses
Reply 68
Original post by Trapz99
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/rhodes-campaigner-oxford-university-student-refuses-to-tip-white-waitress-until-land-is-returned-in-a7009786.html

This is just another example of how bigoted and racist the Rhodes Must Fall campaign is. The past is the past, deal with it and move forwards to a better future, not one that divides people further.

Is the reasoning made up?
Or
Did he say I refuse because so and so?
Original post by Mojo Banjo
To be honest I don't tip people either. But thats just because I am stingy. Would she have cried if that was the reason?

And why the hell are people giving this girl so much money?!

Maybe it's like the American system where waiters only get paid about £2 an hour or something so they get most of their wage from tips?
Are you suggesting that his behaviour would have been fine if he had done it in a country where tips make up a smaller proportion of the pay of the waiter?
Original post by Good bloke
Are you suggesting that his behaviour would have been fine if he had done it in a country where tips make up a smaller proportion of the pay of the waiter?

I'm not suggesting anything, just trying to come up with an explanation why the tips are so large :facepalm:
The waitress, as the article says, did not get a tip (through the racism of the nasty man under discussion - who says blacks cannot be racist?) but was sent gifts amounting to £4,000 by well-wishers who heard about it.
The waitress, as the article says, did not get a tip (through the racism of the nasty man under discussion - who says blacks cannot be racist?) but was sent gifts amounting to £4,000 by well-wishers who heard about it.

Oh my bad, I didn't read the article properly, I thought that was what she usually got in tips hence my comment about tips and the American system

Why did they single her out? Was she the owner of all the land? A bit stupid if you ask me, what is one white waitress supposed to do? Instead of denying one waitress her potential wage there was at least 1000 things they could have done instead.

Why was she crying though? I don't get it. Surely being a waitress she must have come across nasty customers before?
Because they are vindictive racists with an extreme political agenda rather like that of Robert Mugabwe.

It took place in Cape Town, South Africa.
Original post by Plagioclase
Somebody already made a thread about this last week.

This is the same thread. :smile:
Because they are vindictive racists with an extreme political agenda rather like that of Robert Mugabwe.

It took place in Cape Town, South Africa.

That explains it

Mugawbe is hated even by his own people; I know this because I have a friend from Zimbabwe who can't go back because he said something against Mugabwe and then he had to leave the country.

In all fairness though, Africa was there's originally. I'm not excusing this racism but it's not like they don't have a fair point
That rather ignores the historical fact that black Africans have never been homogeneous and continue to be tribal, as evidenced by massacres and inter-racial trouble all over the continent.

This particular individual (judging solely by his name and point of origin) is a Zulu, and the Zulu were historically the most warlike, aggressive and colonialist of peoples imaginable who had no solidarity with their black brothers in Africa, rather the opposite.

He is a hypocrite and a racist, and probably ambitious to be the next Mugabwe.
Original post by JamesN88
This is the same thread. :smile:

It wasn't, it's now been merged.
I will tip when you give back the land - loool

Here is your bushmeat sir and 312,000 Hectares of government land, are you ok for drinks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending