The Student Room Group

Boaty McBoatface Vs RRS Sir David Attenborough

Poll

What should Britain's new polar research ship be called?

:cry2:

I adore Sir David, but seriously, the idea of this boat being called "RRS Boaty McBoatface made me so happy :lol:

The UK's new polar research ship is to be named RRS Sir David Attenborough, despite Boaty McBoatface previously topping a public vote.

A website inviting suggestions to name the vessel had attracted huge interest, with"Boaty McBoatface" being the clear favourite.

But Science Minister Jo Johnson said there were "more suitable" names.The £200m vessel will instead be named after the world-renowned naturalist and broadcaster, days before he turns 90.Full story here
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

[rant]This annoyed me way more than it should have. Why ask the public for a vote and then decide not to listen to them? Grrrrrrrrrrr.[/rant]
Original post by She-Ra
:cry2:

I adore Sir David, but seriously, the idea of this boat being called "RRS Boaty McBoatface made me so happy :lol:

The UK's new polar research ship is to be named RRS Sir David Attenborough, despite Boaty McBoatface previously topping a public vote.

A website inviting suggestions to name the vessel had attracted huge interest, with"Boaty McBoatface" being the clear favourite.

But Science Minister Jo Johnson said there were "more suitable" names.The £200m vessel will instead be named after the world-renowned naturalist and broadcaster, days before he turns 90.Full story here

Attenboring :colonhash:
not everyone thinks DA is a national treasure :nope:
Original post by Captain Jack
Attenboring :colonhash:

Go Boaty McBoatface!
i mean sure you could call the new cloakroom at the Natural History Museum the Attenborough Room...
Original post by iEthan

Don't get me wrong, I'm Pro-Attenborough (he's a legend) but why take away something as beautiful as Boaty McBoatface from the world?
Hey this direct democracy thing isn't working better do something about it like ignore the will of the people
Don't get me wrong, I'm Pro-Attenborough (he's a legend) but why take away something as beautiful as Boaty McBoatface from the world?

Preach it! I agree. He's an awesome bloke but… Boaty McBoatface is simply the best name for a boat ever. Sucks that some people don't have a sense of humour :unimpressed:
Why not simply RRS Attenborough?

"Please don't kill me"

"Please don't kill me"

This made me laugh a lot more than is should have!
I feel its official name should be RRS Sir David Attenborough so as not to upset too many academics present and future, and to fit in with previous names of research vessels. However it should be informally known as Boaty McBoatface to everyone on board and should always be called that.
Reply 14
Why bother with a poll asking for suggestions? Should have just given options people had to pick from.
It has to be Boaty McBoatface! :laugh: If it isn't, I'm definitely going to name my yacht that.
Obviously it was never really going to be called Boaty McBoatface. I can't believe people actually seem to be bitching, with no apparent irony, about the fact that they aren't calling it that.
Original post by iEthan
[rant]This annoyed me way more than it should have. Why ask the public for a vote and then decide not to listen to them? Grrrrrrrrrrr.[/rant]

Because if you'd read the terms of the poll, then it was never binding. They were just looking for suggestions. They now want Subby McSubface.
Original post by 999tigger
Because if you'd read the terms of the poll, then it was never binding. They were just looking for suggestions. They now want Subby McSubface.

I remain: :unimpressed:
Original post by Reue
Why bother with a poll asking for suggestions? Should have just given options people had to pick from.

Which is why they are discussing it in Parliament PR triumph or disaster. the rules were always that it was non binding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending