The Student Room Group

Am I being too tight with money?

Ever since meeting my boyfriend, who is worse than I am, I've become way more tight with my money to the extent where it's sending myself crazy.

I'm on a 8 hour a week job and earn just £200 a month, over a year I've managed to save £1,800. However this year I've spent my entire pay each month on something and I keep having to spend £100-£200 of my savings on top. This is because at the start of the year we decided to book a cheap holiday and I've spent £600 on driving lessons so far. Which I don't mind paying for since they're worthwhile.

I rarely buy luxuries for myself and I do go out but not often at all. I have friends that blow their money like it's nothing and I just can't, I get really anxious just spending £10 here and there. Myself and my boyfriend are moving into our own place this year and I should be able to get by with my savings, boyfriend works full time and I will get student loans. Trouble is, most people think I'm too tight and guilt tripping me, I just don't want to get into a financial situation given I've never rented before and I'm always thinking I can't spend much. I'm going crazy over money that it's controlling me, it's so stupid! I'm 20 now and my friends are 18, I just feel like I need more security since I don't live with my parents right now and I don't get any money from my parents either like some of them do.
What's important is having enough money to move in with your Bf, not other opinions! But saying that it's good to spoil yourself, just don't do that beyond your means!
Original post by nomadic_ash
Ever since meeting my boyfriend, who is worse than I am, I've become way more tight with my money to the extent where it's sending myself crazy.

I'm on a 8 hour a week job and earn just £200 a month, over a year I've managed to save £1,800. However this year I've spent my entire pay each month on something and I keep having to spend £100-£200 of my savings on top. This is because at the start of the year we decided to book a cheap holiday and I've spent £600 on driving lessons so far. Which I don't mind paying for since they're worthwhile.

I rarely buy luxuries for myself and I do go out but not often at all. I have friends that blow their money like it's nothing and I just can't, I get really anxious just spending £10 here and there. Myself and my boyfriend are moving into our own place this year and I should be able to get by with my savings, boyfriend works full time and I will get student loans. Trouble is, most people think I'm too tight and guilt tripping me, I just don't want to get into a financial situation given I've never rented before and I'm always thinking I can't spend much. I'm going crazy over money that it's controlling me, it's so stupid! I'm 20 now and my friends are 18, I just feel like I need more security since I don't live with my parents right now and I don't get any money from my parents either like some of them do.

The only thing that will trip is you if you don't manage your finances properly, i'm exactly the same as you, i never want to spend.
Save stuff and spend when only necessary.
TBH when i go to uni i probably won't get any money from my parents so yea super conservative me ftw. Who cares what everyone else says? If they can spend on useless stuff like drinking all the time then let them. You're not losing anything(maybe if they're your friend xD)
Considering you make £200 a month, I'd say there is no possible way you could be too "tight" with money.
Reply 4
Unless you have circumstances which make it impossible, perhaps try working more than 8 hours per week.

Tight is good.
I wish I could save that much.
Reply 6

No, I don't think you're being tight at all. In fact, I'm exactly the same. I don't live with my parents either, so I work 15 hours a week whilst studying at uni; while my friends spend so much money on things that aren't necessarily vital, I barely spend money on things that I don't really need. To me you're doing the right thing, I wouldn't worry about what others think :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks guys, it's definitely a case of saving for so long to just die a bit inside when it goes down :biggrin: It also doesn't help having family that are terrible with money, even my parents asking myself to lend them cash isn't the easiest.

VannR, believe me I beg work all the time for overtime... never anything available for me :frown: Besides I have no days free to find another part time job.
Stick to being tight, same as me. However, make sure you do not lose your friends over it. Compromise at least weekly and maybe go out with them? A boyfriend is great and all, but you've got to have friends too.

- Cam
I don't think you're being tight. It's wise to save your money if you can. And if you're earning £200 a month, you can't really afford to just throw money away.
Reply 10
I wish I could do that I pretty much spend my money as soon as I get it
Reply 11
Honestly, It's good your saving. I wouldn't regret saving as you probably need it for the future.
Yoy are doing well and its good to be responsible with money as it gives you options.

Try and find the balance where you dont overdo it though. Being mean is different from being careful.
Reply 13
Save but remember that you also need to enjoy life.

I like saving as well and it's great that you want to provide for a good future of security.

But remember **** can happen quickly in life, just don't regret anything you could've done because you didn't want to forgo money.

I normally disregard all material things, maybe the odd pair of trainers but when it comes to experiences, holidays, days out with friends, make the most of those things, they're what make us truly happen.

Some new shoes quickly wears off, as does a new car but when people leave this world, they're usually irreplaceable as a complete item :smile:.

A good savings ratio after the deduction of core spending (rent, fixed bills and day to day food) is 80-90% so you always spend 10-20% on something special and don't feel guilty :smile:
If you're struggling with money at uni, then I've written a blog post to pass on ideas about how to save money :smile: it sucks being a student as there's so much to pay for and often student loans just aren't enough to get by! Hope this helps :smile: https://adventuringwithlove.wordpress.com/2016/05/31/how-to-save-money-and-still-enjoy-your-life/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending