The Student Room Group

ALEVEL RETAKE advice (pls help!)

Hello

Im currently doing my A2 and I know I will get bad grades like Ds and possibly Es maybe a C. I know I know but I did like 0 work over the year and I recently found out i have a learning disability so it probably explains some of it but I'm also blaming it on my laziness lol.

OK ANYWAY I still want to go to uni, but Im taking a gap year first so I can retake all of my exams as a private candidate and hopefully come out with mostly As. But as Im applying for the 2017 course, will I have to put down my actual shitty A2 grades? For AS I got BCDE and my predicted for A2 are ABB so I was thinking what grades I will have to put down.

I also want to apply to AAB/ABB courses because these are the grades I'm aiming for but they will obviously reject me but if on results day I come out with As can I call them and ask if they will accept me? As you can see I'm very confused about this and ANY advice would be very appreciated because I'm really stressing out rn :frown: and I know I could go through clearing but thats a bit risky as Im planning to apply for Neuroscience which is quite competitive etc.

HELP! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

first of all you need to make sure that the universities that you want to apply to accept applications for deferred entry. this means a gap year.

secondly, you should be confident that you will get better grades the 2nf time around that you sit your exams. if this is not the case, then you may want to reconsider your options.

I have been in your position before, and I can honestly tell you, that if you get your head down and work hard then you will succeed.

hope this helps.:smile:
Original post by jasdhesi95
first of all you need to make sure that the universities that you want to apply to accept applications for deferred entry. this means a gap year.

secondly, you should be confident that you will get better grades the 2nf time around that you sit your exams. if this is not the case, then you may want to reconsider your options.

I have been in your position before, and I can honestly tell you, that if you get your head down and work hard then you will succeed.

hope this helps.:smile:

thank you for the advice! :smile:

i know i will work my ass off because i cant miss this opportunity!

can you tell me more about your application process?
Original post by confusedalevel
thank you for the advice! :smile:

i know i will work my ass off because i cant miss this opportunity!

can you tell me more about your application process?

Which part?
Which part?

what grades you put in, AS? A2 predicted or the actual A2 grades? And I think I heard that if you plan to retake A2 you can out one grade higher than your actual A2 grades. Sorry if i dont make any sense I'm just so confused :/
what grades you put in, AS? A2 predicted or the actual A2 grades? And I think I heard that if you plan to retake A2 you can out one grade higher than your actual A2 grades. Sorry if i dont make any sense I'm just so confused :/

You put in your GCSE's AS levels, predicted A2 grades since you wont have the actual A2 grades.
You put in your GCSE's AS levels, predicted A2 grades since you wont have the actual A2 grades.

but I'm doing my A2 exams next month so i will have them
but I'm doing my A2 exams next month so i will have them

yes, but you will not get your grade back straight away will you?
yes, but you will not get your grade back straight away will you?

I'm applying for the 2017 course this september and results day is in august so i will have them back. sorry should have been more specific :redface:
I'm applying for the 2017 course this september and results day is in august so i will have them back. sorry should have been more specific :redface:

Aaah, yes, you are taking a gap year.

Put in you predicted grades.
I don't actually understand your situation, so will you be re-sitting AS as well in your gap year? If so what predicted grades have you received, would they still apply to your entry because you re-sitting everything again?
Hello

Im currently doing my A2 and I know I will get bad grades like Ds and possibly Es maybe a C. I know I know but I did like 0 work over the year and I recently found out i have a learning disability so it probably explains some of it but I'm also blaming it on my laziness lol.

OK ANYWAY I still want to go to uni, but Im taking a gap year first so I can retake all of my exams as a private candidate and hopefully come out with mostly As. But as Im applying for the 2017 course, will I have to put down my actual shitty A2 grades? For AS I got BCDE and my predicted for A2 are ABB so I was thinking what grades I will have to put down.

I also want to apply to AAB/ABB courses because these are the grades I'm aiming for but they will obviously reject me but if on results day I come out with As can I call them and ask if they will accept me? As you can see I'm very confused about this and ANY advice would be very appreciated because I'm really stressing out rn :frown: and I know I could go through clearing but thats a bit risky as Im planning to apply for Neuroscience which is quite competitive etc.

HELP! :frown:

You have to put down EVERY GRADE! and then retakes

and yeah you can adjust up on results day assuming the uni is registered for adjustment.

Also, a learning disability doesn't mean you can't revise... I know people with dyslexia that are aiming for A's and I have Aspergers.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I don't actually understand your situation, so will you be re-sitting AS as well in your gap year? If so what predicted grades have you received, would they still apply to your entry because you re-sitting everything again?

No I'm not retaking AS next year
My predicted are ABB. And Idk! :frown: i really want to apply with my A2 predicted because they're not that bad

Original post by emiloujess
You have to put down EVERY GRADE! and then retakes

and yeah you can adjust up on results day assuming the uni is registered for adjustment.

Also, a learning disability doesn't mean you can't revise... I know people with dyslexia that are aiming for A's and I have Aspergers.

but I'm applying to uni this year and my retakes are next year..

I'm not saying i cant revise but i really let myself down this year
My predicted are ABB. And Idk! :frown: i really want to apply with my A2 predicted because they're not that bad

You are getting grades for this year and therefore you have to put down the A-Level grades for this year, even if you are retaking.
You are getting grades for this year and therefore you have to put down the A-Level grades for this year, even if you are retaking.

im so screwed then. is there even a point in applying with Ds ffs :s-smilie:

Firstly, it's okay. It happens but do you know what? It's not actually too late. You still have some time to sort yourself out, get your head down and work very, very hard. You may end up doing very well.

Are you re-sitting any AS exams this year to push your grade up? and can you get AAB/ABB without re-sitting AS exams?

If you want to just re-sit A2 next year then you may have to put down your AS's, I'm not 100% sure but because you are on a gap year you may have too.

If you want to re-sit everything next year, you have to take into account the system has changed therefore you will be re-sitting with a new syllabus.

If you want to apply for 2017, and you do very well then you can just go for adjustment on result's day to swap courses.
im so screwed then. is there even a point in applying with Ds ffs :s-smilie:

Well I applied with a failed EEUU AS year and an ABC second year so as long as you make it clear you are retaking and get a good reference with good predicted grades then it's definitely worth it!
Firstly, it's okay. It happens but do you know what? It's not actually too late. You still have some time to sort yourself out, get your head down and work very, very hard. You may end up doing very well.

Are you re-sitting any AS exams this year to push your grade up? and can you get AAB/ABB without re-sitting AS exams?

If you want to just re-sit A2 next year then you may have to put down your AS's, I'm not 100% sure but because you are on a gap year you may have too.

If you want to re-sit everything next year, you have to take into account the system has changed therefore you will be re-sitting with a new syllabus.

If you want to apply for 2017, and you do very well then you can just go for adjustment on result's day to swap courses.

You have to put down every single grade you have achieved so AS and A2... I'm not sure how to make this clearer.
You have to put down every single grade you have achieved so AS and A2... I'm not sure how to make this clearer.

Yes sorry I meant predicted grades, OP may not be able to use those predicted grades as he is on a gap year. Yes you do have to put down your AS's.

But there are other issues that came to mind when I answered OP's question.
Well I applied with a failed EEUU AS year and an ABC second year so as long as you make it clear you are retaking and get a good reference with good predicted grades then it's definitely worth it!

this sounds like a plan, thank you! :smile:

i know i will try my best because I'm actually scared that i will mess up my future omg
and yeah I'm retaking 1 AS exam to go from a D to B. and i dropped the E so its fine

im ok with putting down AS because they aren't that bad

and no i think (and hope!) youre wrong. they agreed last month that current year 13 students will have the opportunity to resit their A2/AS exams in summer 2017 which will be the last sitting. but thats as a private candidate of course

and thanks :smile: i will look more into adjustment as well

Quick Reply

Latest