The Student Room Group

Why do meninists think anyone cares what they have to say?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by giveupbeth
Perhaps that was the original intention, but many meninists, or MRAs, make comments which are truly offensive- it certainly isn't funny.

They aren't true meninists. True meninism is about equal rights, as I mentioned earlier.
Perhaps that was the original intention, but many meninists, or MRAs, make comments which are truly offensive- it certainly isn't funny.

Do you think your right to offence should limit their right to free speech?

And I would not conflate the two groups. One is comprised mainly of satirists and the other, advocates for male rights. Beyond that, you forgot the key word: some. And humour is subjective. You might not get the jokes but others do. I find a number of things amusing that others might be sensitive to as it hits close to home.

Can you provide examples for the things you're talking about?
Reply 42
Original post by ByronicHero
Where do we stand on frenemys?

[video="youtube;TcqAsNjryIc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcqAsNjryIc[/video]

??
Reply 43
Original post by spv
Feminism is about equality for EVERYONE.

Maybe you should give up, beth. :wink:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make
Reply 44
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Do you think your right to offence should limit their right to free speech?

And I would not conflate the two groups. One is comprised mainly of satirists and the other, advocates for male rights. Beyond that, you forgot the key word: some. And humour is subjective. You might not get the jokes but others do. I find a number of things amusing that others might be sensitive to as it hits close to home.

Can you provide examples for the things you're talking about?

I'm not attempting to infringe on anyone's free speech, merely making use of my own to bring attention to the ridiculousness of this movement. Any sensible person should see the ridiculousness of the claims many so called MRAs make, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Personally, I enjoy a good joke as much as the next person. I will laugh at pretty much anything- as long as it's not offensive. Humour should never be prioritised over the feelings of vulnerable groups.
I'm not attempting to infringe on anyone's free speech, merely making use of my own to bring attention to the ridiculousness of this movement. Any sensible person should see the ridiculousness of the claims many so called MRAs make, but unfortunately this is not the case.

Personally, I enjoy a good joke as much as the next person. I will laugh at pretty much anything- as long as it's not offensive. Humour should never be prioritised over the feelings of vulnerable groups.

And I of course respect your right to critique them. I'm not a hypocrite. But you contradict yourself when you say that comedians should self-censor. You seem to think that we all find the same things offensive when that is not true.

What vulnerable groups are being hurt by the actions of MRAs? :holmes:.

You've made a claim without giving some examples. No, it's not obvious to me :dontknow:. What are their ridiculous claims? That there should be more shelters for homeless and battered men? :beard:
Reply 46
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
And I of course respect your right to critique them. I'm not a hypocrite. But you contradict yourself when you say that comedians should self-censor. You seem to think that we all find the same things offensive when that is not true.

What vulnerable groups are being hurt by the actions of MRAs? :holmes:.

You've made a claim without giving some examples. No, it's not obvious to me :dontknow:. What are their ridiculous claims? That there should be more shelters for homeless and battered men? :beard:

Look I can't be bothered anymore, I'm tired and you're not willing to listen. I don't take receipts every time I see a meninist sending hate, but I'm sure you can find proof if you take the time to google it- which you would do if you were genuinely interested.

I am not contradicting myself by saying that people should consider what they are saying. Everyone has the right to think and say what they want, but they should be prepared for criticism and not claim their right are being infringed on when they receive it (which I have seen happen again and again). It's not having your freedom of speech infringed on to have someone say that you should think about what you say and it's impact before you say it.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Why do feminists think anyone cares what they have to say?

Because the rational majority are right.
How little confidence one must have to join such a "movement"...too funny
I'm a meninist
Original post by Anonymous
Because the rational majority are right.

No, they really aren't. If you want to help oppressed women, start with Islamic countries instead of the drivel most spout in the West about 'manspreading' or 'mansplaining'.
Look I can't be bothered anymore, I'm tired and you're not willing to listen. I don't take receipts every time I see a meninist sending hate, but I'm sure you can find proof if you take the time to google it- which you would do if you were genuinely interested.

You have proposed something so it's up to you to support it and besides, a few isolated examples would not prove that it was an inherit problem with the movement. Exceptions don't make the rule and there are always rude, belligerent people in the most noble of movements. But I understand if you can't be bothered making a case for it.

I'm still curious to hear what claims MRAs make that you find ridiculous.

I am not contradicting myself by saying that people should consider what they are saying. Everyone has the right to think and say what they want, but they should be prepared for criticism and not claim their right are being infringed on when they receive it (which I have seen happen again and again). It's not having your freedom of speech infringed on to have someone say that you should think about what you say and it's impact before you say it.

I agree that criticism is fine. However I disagree that someone shouldn't say something because another might be offended.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Why do feminists think anyone cares what they have to say?

Because unlike "Meninists" they have achieved a lot.
why do feminists think anyone cares what they have to say
My jimmies have been rustled.
Reply 56
Original post by EricPiphany
They aren't true meninists. True meninism is about equal rights, as I mentioned earlier.

I'm sorry but if they were truly for equal rights they would be feminists.
Reply 57
Original post by PrinceProsperity
I'm a meninist

I'm so sorry. I hope you get better soon.
Original post by V ugvg jhi
why do feminists think anyone cares what they have to say

Because they gave us the vote, the right to abortion, the right to contraception, the right not to be someones little house maid, great insight into literature etc etc etc.

:smile:
I'm sorry but if they were truly for equal rights they would be feminists.

I am for equal rights. If you are for equal rights, than you are also a meninist. There's no need to fight when we have so much in common.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending