The Student Room Group

general stationary points question

Usually in Maths exams, for AQA, i find when it asks me to Differentiate a function then find the stationary points, in the mark scheme Im only supposed to take the positive value, e.g. X^2 = 4 so X = 2 but shouldn't I take the negative as well?
Check the domain of the function.
Reply 2
Original post by SunDun111
Usually in Maths exams, for AQA, i find when it asks me to Differentiate a function then find the stationary points, in the mark scheme Im only supposed to take the positive value, e.g. X^2 = 4 so X = 2 but shouldn't I take the negative as well?

Post the question.
Reply 3

Assuming ur talking bout shape questions, u have to take the positive value of x for obvious reasons

otherwise like big E said above check da domain

gl
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
Post the question.

Original post by Goatt
Assuming ur talking bout shape questions, u have to take the positive value of x for obvious reasons

otherwise like big E said above check da domain

gl

dm read the question wrong thought it said x^2 = 4 it says x^1/2 = 4, but if your finding the equation of the normal at a stationary point, I think for the question X = 4 and Y = 8, wouldn't the equation by Y = 8, the mark scheme says X = 4
dm read the question wrong thought it said x^2 = 4 it says x^1/2 = 4, but if your finding the equation of the normal at a stationary point, I think for the question X = 4 and Y = 8, wouldn't the equation by Y = 8, the mark scheme says X = 4

Reply 6

blud we need infoooo like the function ur working with

& this point u refer to
Reply 7

What paper is it gg
Reply 8

What does the normal look like at a stationary point? Does it look like a vertical line or a horizontal line? What does the tangent look like?
Reply 9
Original post by Goatt
blud we need infoooo like the function ur working with

& this point u refer to

Original post by Goatt
What paper is it gg

June 2011 , C2 diff question, Q5.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
What does the normal look like at a stationary point? Does it look like a vertical line or a horizontal line? What does the tangent look like?

Verticle... Ohhhh ok so would it be X = 4 instead?
Reply 11
Verticle... Ohhhh ok so would it be X = 4 instead?

Yes.
Reply 12
June 2011 , C2 diff question, Q5.

[4,8] is the max that is right

What you need to do now is find the slope of the tangent at the point M then use the normal is perpendicular rule

Quick Reply

Latest