The Student Room Group

I'm stuck in a fixed-term tenancy, need advice!

Hey,

So I moved out recently, as I'll be going to university in London in Sept, or I'll be working there. But I signed up to a tenancy contract for 12 months that is frankly too high, given a family problem that has just occurred.

I looked everywhere online and the only company which offers to help me get out is [deleted, user has already provided me with a review of the site, and don't want to get banned for advertising] , but I wonder if there are better alternatives?

My landlord refuses to help me exit the tenancy!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Armpits
Hey,

So I moved out recently, as I'll be going to university in London in Sept, or I'll be working there. But I signed up to a tenancy contract for 12 months that is frankly too high, given a family problem that has just occurred.

I looked everywhere online and the only company which offers to help me get out is tenancytermination.co.uk , but I wonder if there are better alternatives?

That site looks like rubbish. You cna get another tenant to take your place with LL's consent. You need to read your agreement tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
That site looks like rubbish. You cna get another tenant to take your place with LL's consent. You need to read your agreement tbh.

Alright cheers

Does the landlord have an obligation to release me from the contract?
Reply 3
Original post by Armpits
Hey,

I looked everywhere online and the only company which offers to help me get out is tenancytermination.co.uk , but I wonder if there are better alternatives?

What does your tenancy agreement say about break clause?
Original post by Armpits
Alright cheers

No, but if the other person will take over the spot, you may have to pay an extra months rent but it should be okay?
Original post by Armpits
Alright cheers

No.
He isnt even under an obligation to permit you to replace yourself, but its important to read the tenancy.
Reply 6
Original post by Reue
What does your tenancy agreement say about break clause?

Says I have to keep on paying rent due under the lease
Reply 7
Original post by Armpits
Says I have to keep on paying rent due under the lease

That's not a break clause..

Does your agreement have one? What does it say about giving notice?
Reply 8
Original post by Reue
That's not a break clause..

Does your agreement have one? What does it say about giving notice?

I'm scanning it right now, I see no break clause.

It literally says I agree to pay the stated rent for the duration of the contract. Nothing specified.
Reply 9
It's fine I found a solution.
It will be under the heading termination.
As you are a student iits highly unlikely there will be a break clause that can be exercised by the tenant by serving notice.
If I was the LL I would wnat the money for all year to aboid situations like now and losing money.

And the solution is?
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
It will be under the heading termination.
As you are a student iits highly unlikely there will be a break clause that can be exercised by the tenant by serving notice.
If I was the LL I would wnat the money for all year to aboid situations like now and losing money.

And the solution is?

I'll probably advertise on student pages, or gumtree or something and try to find someone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending