The Student Room Group

Why do meninists think anyone cares what they have to say?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EricPiphany
I am for equal rights. If you are for equal rights, than you are also a meninist. There's no need to fight when we have so much in common.

It doesn't work like that. Meninsts appose women and they only seem to care about male rights when a feminist has pissed them off for being a feminist.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
It doesn't work like that. Meninsts appose women and they only seem to care about male rights when a feminist has pissed them off for being a feminist.

I think you are generalising from the few meninists you have met in the past. They are not true meninists.
Original post by HeimIX
Typical Feminist scum.

Lol did you fall for the b8
Reply 63
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You have proposed something so it's up to you to support it and besides, a few isolated examples would not prove that it was an inherit problem with the movement. Exceptions don't make the rule and there are always rude, belligerent people in the most noble of movements. But I understand if you can't be bothered making a case for it.

I'm still curious to hear what claims MRAs make that you find ridiculous.

I agree that criticism is fine. However I disagree that someone shouldn't say something because another might be offended.

I don't agree with everything she says but here is an article discussing some of the reasons that his movement is ridiculous, and another on why it is both unfunny and counterproductive, and some examples of it's stupidity are featured here.

You can do any more research yourself. If you are actually interested look it up yourself. I didn't make this thread to spend hours googling things you could look up yourself.
And feminists in the west fight non-existent or utterly unsolvable problems.
Because unlike "Meninists" they have achieved a lot.

Such as?

Second wave feminists maybe. Third wave? Nothing of substance at all.
Reply 66
Lol did you fall for the b8

I guess I did.
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Such as?

Second wave feminists maybe. Third wave? Nothing of substance at all.

1st and 2nd wave achieved a lot. I'm sure when both of those "waves" were going on it didn't seem like anything of substance was going to be achieved, it all about societies attitudes, I'm sure 3rd wave will also achieve something of substance.
Reply 68
I am for equal rights. If you are for equal rights, than you are also a meninist. There's no need to fight when we have so much in common.

If you genuinely are for equality, you are a feminist. I'm sorry, but saying that meninism is for equal rights when there is evidence to contrary is unhelpful. There is no need for a secondary equal rights movement when we already have feminism, and the majority of meninists aren't actually fighting for equal rights. It literally started as a parody account of anti-feminists.
Original post by HeimIX
I guess I did.

At least you've made someone's day.
I care about neither if that helps.
Original post by giveupbeth
If you genuinely are for equality, you are a feminist. I'm sorry, but saying that meninism is for equal rights when there is evidence to contrary is unhelpful. There is no need for a secondary equal rights movement when we already have feminism, and the majority of meninists aren't actually fighting for equal rights. It literally started as a parody account of anti-feminists.

Call me what you want, I call myself a meninist.
Menininism is good for women too BTW. It raises awareness to the culture of toxic femininity and the roles women are forced to play in society. It helps women become free individuals.
Reply 72
1st and 2nd wave achieved a lot. I'm sure when both of those "waves" were going on it didn't seem like anything of substance was going to be achieved, it all about societies attitudes, I'm sure 3rd wave will also achieve something of substance.

Third wave feminism has already achieved significant change in attitudes, primarily by promoting positive attitudes amongst young girls and women. In the past, there was such much hate between women but today this is changing. For every sexist pig claiming we are wasting our time, there are ten girls who now feel able to stand up for themselves thanks to third-wave feminism.

Feminists such as Malala Yousafzai are continuing to promote equality in countries where it is still severely lacking. Increasingly TERFs are becoming the minority and feminism is becoming more intersectional, continuing positive change toward equal rights for all women- not just white women.

But it wasn't just about the attitudes of society was it? Right to vote, abortion, equal opportunity etc.

Western women are one of the most privileged groups in the world now. Like I replied earlier, if feminists want to help women, help those that are being oppressed in Islamic countries. Or would that be 'racist'?
Reply 74
Call me what you want, I call myself a meninist.
Menininism is good for women too BTW. It raises awareness to the culture of toxic femininity and the roles women are forced to play in society. It helps women become free individuals.

This is going nowhere. I am glad you believe in equality but I believe you are siding with the wrong side in this debate. You disagree. That is fine. You aren't being rude or offensive, so let's leave it at this.
Third wave feminism has already achieved significant change in attitudes, primarily by promoting positive attitudes amongst young girls and women. In the past, there was such much hate between women but today this is changing. For every sexist pig claiming we are wasting our time, there are ten girls who now feel able to stand up for themselves thanks to third-wave feminism.

Feminists such as Malala Yousafzai are continuing to promote equality in countries where it is still severely lacking. Increasingly TERFs are becoming the minority and feminism is becoming more intersectional, continuing positive change toward equal rights for all women- not just white women.

No of course, of course!! I meant when 3rd wave ends and 4th begins, you will see the significance of the 3rd. I didn't make that very clear.

For the most part I think 3rd wave has changed attitudes of people, people have to now clarify they are not being sexist, people don't just come out with sexist things. People notice sexism more.

But when it comes to structural feminist and intersectional feminism, those ideas began with the 2nd wave.
This is going nowhere. I am glad you believe in equality but I believe you are siding with the wrong side in this debate. You disagree. That is fine. You aren't being rude or offensive, so let's leave it at this.

Good idea.

Spoiler

Original post by TheIr0nDuke
But it wasn't just about the attitudes of society was it? Right to vote, abortion, equal opportunity etc.

Western women are one of the most privileged groups in the world now. Like I replied earlier, if feminists want to help women, help those that are being oppressed in Islamic countries. Or would that be 'racist'?

What? I said it is societal attitudes that make you feel like 3rd wave isn't achieving anything.

How would that be racist?
What? I said it is societal attitudes that make you feel like 3rd wave isn't achieving anything.

How would that be racist?

No, it isn't achieving anything, except division between genders.

That's usually the first, go-to response by feminists when asked why they don't help Islamic women.

That's a circular argument. It's also clearly untrue. You can stand for equality without being in favour of positive discrimination or quotas. You can stand for equality with believing in things like the gender pay gap (which is a totally fictitious construct) or rape culture (which doesn't exist in Western Europe, or didn't until the influx of Middle Eastern and North African men). You can stand for equality whilst not thinking there is something wrong with men and women making different choices in career path, and believing that there are fundamental differences between the minds of men and women.

Saying you believe in equality, therefore you're a feminist, is equivalent to saying anyone who believes in a deity is Christian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending