The Student Room Group

16yr old wanting to get back into education.

Sorry if this is a little long, but any help will be appreciated.

I left school before I got my GCSEs because I had my son, who is now 1. I didn't want to leave, but I had no choice. I'd like to go to university one day (long shot I know) and hopefully become a paramedic. Im not really sure where to start since I've been out of education for a while. How can I get my GCSEs if I'm not in school? I don't have any friends so I have nobody to advise me. I live with my Mum and brothers but I'm moving into a mother and baby unit soon since the house is getting too cramped. My mum didn't get any GCSEs either. 2 of my brothers are on a plumbing apprenticeship and the other doesn't work so I really don't know who can help me. I really would like to pursue this but I have no idea where to start. I've looked at entry requirements and they all seem to be out of my reach and plus I don't know how I'll balance it all with a baby.

Please no mean comments but I know I'll get them anyway. Any suggestions would be great.
Original post by Anonymous

I left school before I got my GCSEs because I had my son, who is now 1. I didn't want to leave, but I had no choice. I'd like to go to university one day (long shot I know) and hopefully become a paramedic. Im not really sure where to start since I've been out of education for a while. How can I get my GCSEs if I'm not in school? I don't have any friends so I have nobody to advise me. I live with my Mum and brothers but I'm moving into a mother and baby unit soon since the house is getting too cramped. My mum didn't get any GCSEs either. 2 of my brothers are on a plumbing apprenticeship and the other doesn't work so I really don't know who can help me. I really would like to pursue this but I have no idea where to start. I've looked at entry requirements and they all seem to be out of my reach and plus I don't know how I'll balance it all with a baby.

Please no mean comments but I know I'll get them anyway. Any suggestions would be great.

Some councils offer evening classes for people who haven't got gcse's in maths and english, you could look into doing those.
Reply 2
Perhaps, online school, that way you can manage your time the way you need to?

http://www.ool.co.uk/general/course-price/gcse-igcse-a-level-course-price/
I know some sixth form colleges that offer GCSEs for people that couldn't take them for various reasons.
Or, as someone said above me, online course.
Could you PM me? I could tell you more about the college I attend, it might turn out you live somewhere around.
Good luck, everything is possible:smile:

I'm not sure personally, but I'm sure some other users will have some helpful advice.

I just wanted to say I think it's brilliant that you're going to get back into education, the results are likely to be life changing if you stick it through till the end. I wish you the best of luck :smile:
I am from Germany so I do not know much about the school system in the UK. But you are 16, that is still pretty young. I believe you can still finish any education you want. Probably your baby will give you the necessary strength to do so, no matter what the circumstances are.
Reply 6
Original post by spv
Perhaps, online school, that way you can manage your time the way you need to?

http://www.ool.co.uk/general/course-price/gcse-igcse-a-level-course-price/

I had a look at this, the prices are shocking. I didn't know I had to pay :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Some councils offer evening classes for people who haven't got gcse's in maths and english, you could look into doing those.

Will look into it. Thanks!
There should be an adult education college who can advise you? Depending on your situation, you shouldn't have to pay anything, or indeed that much.
I really don't know who you'd go to for advice, but I'm sure you will have some options given your reasons for not completing high school. You should still be able to take your GCSEs at a college or something, at least Maths and English and perhaps look at an access course. I'm sure there should be something in place to assist you with childcare so you can study and your education should be free at this point as legally you should be in education until the age of 18. It's definitely possible to still succeed, my cousin had a baby very young and still got her degree etc... it's certainly not going to be easy but if you're determined you can do it and make a really good life/set a good example for your child.

Perhaps you could contact local colleges and ask them or if you are in touch with any social care services (which I'm guessing you might be if you're moving into a mother and baby unit) you could ask whatever contact you have there. Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion of who could let you know all your options!
You could go to an adult education class/evening classes/online classes :smile:
Also connexions would help you too, and in the long run you can do an access course which will help you go onto do a university course (if you wanted to of course) :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a look at this, the prices are shocking. I didn't know I had to pay :frown:

It's unlikely that you'll have to. If you don't hold any Level 2 (GCSE-level) or Level 3 (A Level/IB/Scottish Advanced Highers) qualifications, then it should be free. @Carnationlilyrose, can you confirm?

As another user has said, you should look to see if there are any adult education colleges in your area and discuss your situation with them.

You can enrol for free at any sixth form /college who is offering GCSEs without paying up until your 19 you better enrol now. Get some application forms from colleges/sxith forms around you and phone them up.
You can't do access courses until you're at least 19. Or that's how it was when I was at college. They're one year long and for people who want to go to uni. The OP is only 16; so a bit too young for now.
GCSE's are very difficult. It would be easier to do a level 2 diploma in a subject you like and it will be equivalent to 4-5 GCSE's. Then progress to level 3 and then go to uni. You may want to begin at level 1 though if you haven't been in education for a while. You can always talk to an advisor at a college open day or enrolment day and they can help you by telling you all the options available to you then you can decide yourself what to do before enrolling on a course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I'm not sure personally, but I'm sure some other users will have some helpful advice.

I just wanted to say I think it's brilliant that you're going to get back into education, the results are likely to be life changing if you stick it through till the end. I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Thank you so much. I'll be sure to give it my best try!
Just want to say thank you to everyone that commented. I've read your comments am I'm so grateful for them all and I'm so happy that I have so many options:smile:
you should be able to if you are 16. if you go on to do level 2 pathway in year 12 sit your GCSEs in 2017 and when you turn 18 start y12 again with your GCSEs and from there you can do a course like level 3 diploma which you can do hopefully and get into paramedics. so by the time you're 19 you'll start university. you can pm if you like and ill tell you places around.
hope your dreams come true

1. Ofc you can get your GCSE's and go to university, all it takes is a bit of determination, so dont let anyone say you cnat.

2. Here are the details on paramedics
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/ambulanceparamedic.aspx
0800 100 900
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/paramedic

You can also open an account on national careers plus speak to a careers adviser

3. As they said above start at your local college and they can advise you how to build up your qualifications again. Good luck.
16 is very very young! plenty of time loads go back to education in their 40s so dont worry about age! i know someone who did paramedic science at 43 they actually like older. sit what you need to sit and youl be fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending