The Student Room Group

Opening a bank account?

I've never had a bank account but I need to make one ASAP so I can complete my student finance. The problem is I don't have any ID, my passport is my only Id and its expired. Are there any other forms of id I can use? Passport is the only form of id I can think of.
Reply 1
Do you have a provisional driving licence? Only thing I could think to suggest is applying for that asap as it'll be more than useful when you need ID.
Reply 2
Original post by melinae
Do you have a provisional driving licence? Only thing I could think to suggest is applying for that asap as it'll be more than useful when you need ID.

Barclays wouldn't accept my provisional. Has to be a full license.
Original post by melinae

I don't even have that :bawling:
Reply 4
Original post by spv
Barclays wouldn't accept my provisional. Has to be a full license.

How strange... I went with Santander and they weren't that fussy! :P

OP: What bank are you trying to get into? I'd say the only option is to ring them up and explain the situation. The help lines for banks are awful though so good luck! ;_;
Talk to someone in branch. Would be easier than phoning them up.
They all basically want the same.

Proof of ID and proof of address,

The Nat West version of ID is pretty good.

http://personal.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/what-do-you-need-to-open-a-current-account/Forms-of-ID-we-accept.html

TSB also accept

Benefits/state pension notification letter - issued in last 12 months and confirming rights to benefits

For under 18s:

Current Young Scot card

National Insurance card or letter

UK birth certificate

UK Medical Card/Certificate

HSBC will accept

Original notification letter from Benefits Agency / Local Authority on official headed paperconfirming your right to UK benefits from: –Benefits agency –Department of Work and Pensions (including Jobcentre Plus) –Child Benefit Office –Veterans Agency}Letter from a person in a position of authority this could be: –Hostel Manager –Social Worker –Armed service officer Minister of religion
General Practitioner

Barclays
Benefit entitlement letter (less than 12 months old, confirming benefit payable at time of issue

Santander
Notification of entitlement to tax credit**.n Notification of entitlement to pension from the DWP**.n Notification of entitlement to student loan/grant**.n Notification of entitlements to other government/localauthority grant**.n HMRC (Inland Revenue) coding/assessment/statement/taxcredit**(not P45/P60s)
Birth certificate/ drivers licence or provisional, your passport should be enough though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21
Birth certificate/ drivers licence or provisional, your passport should be enough though

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you look at the OP they say they dont have those.
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure I would be able to use my birth certificate?
Every bank will be different but generally they require something to verify your ID and also something to verify your address.

ID could be something like a student card or birth certificate, depending on your age, and address could be something like letters from HMRC or benefits letters, confirming how much you've earned or like a utility bill of some sort.

It might be handy to check the bank's website or even popping down to a branch and they can point you in the right direction.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Are you sure I would be able to use my birth certificate?

Every bank has a different list. Ive been through them for you.
You would be better off by selecting a bank you are interested in and then checking their required list. I have put down what I believe are the extra documents they might consider in addition to the normal obes i.e passport, driving licence an id card. As I pointed oit HSBC will accept a letter from minister of religion or GP, which should be easy enough to get.

A birth certificate is acceptable by TSB if you are under 18. Its more complicated for other banks as they only allow it in certain circs i.e if you are coming out of care.
Original post by 999tigger
Every bank has a different list. Ive been through them for you.
You would be better off by selecting a bank you are interested in and then checking their required list. I have put down what I believe are the extra documents they might consider in addition to the normal obes i.e passport, driving licence an id card. As I pointed oit HSBC will accept a letter from minister of religion or GP, which should be easy enough to get.

A birth certificate is acceptable by TSB if you are under 18. Its more complicated for other banks as they only allow it in certain circs i.e if you are coming out of care.

Thanks for the help.
If you tell me the bank i will go through the list for you,.
You can also try your parents bank as they might be more willing to open one for you.
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
I've never had a bank account but I need to make one ASAP so I can complete my student finance. The problem is I don't have any ID, my passport is my only Id and its expired. Are there any other forms of id I can use? Passport is the only form of id I can think of.

Cant you set up a bank account online anonymously?
Original post by Anonymoùs
Cant you set up a bank account online anonymously?

No, you need ID to prove you're you to prevent fraud and that. It has to be done at the bank in person

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending