The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev
Although Pakistan and Bangladesh are in virtually the same area of Asia as India is. In fact, they are both closer to India than they are to China, Korea, Japan.

But Pakistan and Bangladesh have a culture based around Islam. Now, I've no interest in bashing Islam, but it does seem to be the case that these cultures are less open to integration than the more secular cultures of China, Korea, India and Japan, amongst others.
Reply 21
Original post by nucdev
Or East African Gujju style - the fried mogo chips are ready :lol:

Mogooooo is SOOO GOOOD!
that's offensive but I guess you're right
Reply 23
Original post by Thanbir.33
that's offensive but I guess you're right

Are statistical facts offensive? :s-smilie:
Original post by nucdev
Or East African Gujju style - the fried mogo chips are ready :lol:

Original post by Zargabaath
fml i'm hungry now :lol:

You've got me hungry now, bhai :colonhash:

Spoiler

Original post by ravioliyears
You've got me hungry now, bhai :colonhash:

Spoiler

We derail like every thread on TSR talking about Indian food :rofl:
Reply 26

Some threads deserve to be derailed :rofl:
Indians established themselves much longer ago in the UK?

Original post by nucdev
Some threads deserve to be derailed :rofl:

Of course :lol: It's what we do best :u: Without us, there would be no derailed threads to do with Indian food XD
Because we're the best :u:
OP is an Indian who's butthurt that a Pakistani just got elected Mayor of London. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ravioliyears
Of course :lol: It's what we do best :u: Without us, there would be no derailed threads to do with Indian food XD

We should start and Indian food megathread :lol:
IFSOC - Indian food society :rofl:
Original post by HOLA255
Hello Cleverclogs, that article was 2014.

Two years is nothing, so I don't know what you're trying to imply
I would say the true reason, but i'll be banned
Reply 34
Original post by Serine Soul
Indians established themselves much longer ago in the UK?

They were similar in numbers to pakistanis in the 50's, only a few tens of thousands on each side. The massive migration followed after that. Same with British Chinese who are as successful as the Indians. But for some reason some cultures do far better than others. Hmmm, why do you think that is?
Original post by HOLA255
Are you obsessed with race, my dear?

...no?
...wait, indians and pakistanis aren't different races? pakistan is simply former north-west india
To answer the op, it's because the Indians who came here were much more educated than the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis who came here.

vhv.png

you could also argue it's partially due to culture, i.e. lota of immigrant women from Muslim countries choose to not work. But generally this is changing: Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are the only two groups who have improved in the last few years, according to the Economist:

IF BRITONS suffered after the 2008 financial crash, ethnic minorities suffered most. Their earnings slipped further and their household incomes fell faster than those of whites. For two groups, however—Pakistani and Bangladeshi Britons—things got better. Household incomes went up and earnings increased (see chart), while Bangladeshi children have most improved their circumstances. Both groups have long lagged behind other Britons. Why are they catching up now? The answer is that women from these communities have entered the workforce, and they have done so in droves.
http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21663233-pakistani-and-bangladeshi-britons-are-flourishing-reason-women-xx-factor

Both groups are also seeing big increases in education, for example there are now more Pakistanis going to university than Indians:
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/app_level_report_2015-dr2_024_05.pdf

2011 census:
The Bangladeshi and Pakistani groups saw thegreatest improvement in educational attainment with a19 and 16 percentage point decrease respectively in thosewithout any qualifications.
http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibrary/briefingsupdated/how-are-ethnic-inequalities-in-education-changing.pdf

Employment

Pakistani and Bangladeshi men have seen large fallsin unemployment over the period 1991 to 2011(respectively from 25% to 10% and from 26% to 11%),but unemployment rates for both these groups remainmuch higher than for White men

Pakistani and Bangladeshi women were the least likelyto be in the labour market, but also experienced thehighest rises in rates of economic activity between 1991and 2011 (from 24% to 43% for Pakistani womenand from 17% to 40% for Bangladeshi women).

:http://www.ethnicity.ac.uk/medialibrary/briefingsupdated/have-ethnic-inequalities-in-employment-persisted-between-1991-2011%20(1).pdf

Don't forget that most Pakistanis live in former industrial towns in the North and Midlands where there aren't that many opportunities, whereas most Indians and other minorities live in London or the South

tl;dr give it another 20 years or so and these discrepancies will have mostly gone.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Erebor
They were similar in numbers to pakistanis in the 50's, only a few tens of thousands on each side. The massive migration followed after that. Same with British Chinese who are as successful as the Indians. But for some reason some cultures do far better than others. Hmmm, why do you think that is?

Indians came here better educated? like Ravenous shows?

I know what you want me to say but I'd like to prolong it :lol:
Original post by BubbleBoobies
...no?
...wait, indians and pakistanis aren't different races? pakistan is simply former north-west india

As a Britiah Indian myself meaning my parents migrated here and i was born here obviously i believe indians are just alpha like that. But idk how it would feel different if i was from pakistan or bangladesh? Dont think it would. Personal will and spirit is what it is.

Pakistan is (i believe) a majority muslim country as in 1949 or whenever india got its independence from britain, the consequence was pakistan being formed. So yeah the difference is india is majority hindus and pakistan muslims.

My opinion is indians are kind, respectful people who help eachother and work hard- the end goal is to have a family, provide for them and move your children up a step in the ladder. I would assume this is the same for any human, but alas you cant assume anything anymore. So yeah. I still am not sure how this affects levels of unemployment in pakistani's/ bangladeshi's exceeding indians.
Original post by nucdev
Just waiting for this to turn into an India v Pakistan thread :colone:

:lol:

Instead, why not a South vs East Asia thread? :biggrin:

Original post by nucdev
Although Pakistan and Bangladesh are in virtually the same area of Asia as India is. In fact, they are both closer to India than they are to China, Korea, Japan.

^^^

Latest

Trending

Trending