The Student Room Group

trig question

The question is, 3Tanx - Tan^3x = 1 - 3 tan^2x

Im kinda confused on this i tried factorising it, but keep getting the wrong answers.
Original post by SunDun111
The question is, 3Tanx - Tan^3x = 1 - 3 tan^2x

Im kinda confused on this i tried factorising it, but keep getting the wrong answers.

Could you post how you factorised it?
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
Could you post how you factorised it?

I took a factor of Tan X out and put it as Tan x ( 3 - Tan^2x + Tan x ) = 1
Kept getting wrong answers from it.
Let y=tan(x)y = \tan(x). Now try factorising: 3yy3=13y23y-y^3=1-3y^2
i.e. y33y23y+1=0y^3-3y^2-3y+1=0
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Math12345
Let y=tan(x)y = \tan(x). Now try factorising: 3yy3=13y23y-y^3=1-3y^2
i.e. y33y23y+1=0y^3-3y^2-3y+1=0

wouldnt I use the factor theoram?
wouldnt I use the factor theoram?

Yep you can use that.
Reply 6
Original post by Math12345
Yep you can use that.

Right did it thanks, I kinda am stuck on an M1 question if you can help me. Basically 'The unit vectors I and J are directed North and east. A boat has initial velocity 4i + 6j ms and an initial position of 80I + 20j, it experiences an acceleration of -0.02i - 0.01j ms for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes the boat stops accelerating and continues with constant velocity for a further minute before hitting the bank and stopping, find the position of the point where the boat hits the bank.

Its quite long I know, but I worked out the position vector of the boat at Time T seconds, but im kinda struggling on how to work out the position vector for both times its really confusing.
Right did it thanks, I kinda am stuck on an M1 question if you can help me. Basically 'The unit vectors I and J are directed North and east. A boat has initial velocity 4i + 6j ms and an initial position of 80I + 20j, it experiences an acceleration of -0.02i - 0.01j ms for 4 minutes. After 4 minutes the boat stops accelerating and continues with constant velocity for a further minute before hitting the bank and stopping, find the position of the point where the boat hits the bank.

Its quite long I know, but I worked out the position vector of the boat at Time T seconds, but im kinda struggling on how to work out the position vector for both times its really confusing.

I've forgotten mechanics.
Reply 8

Outline:

You have acceleration - you integrate that to get velocity (remember the +c and using the point t=0, v = 4i +6j to find the +c)

You then have (initial position) + (velocity) - plug t = 4 * 60 = 240 seconds to get the position after 4 minutes.

Now set up the new position as (position after 4 minutes) + t(constant velocity) and then plug t = 1 *60 = 60 seconds

Quick Reply

Latest