The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

Since I will be entering y12 in September, I will have to choose my options. I have already decided that I want to do astrophysics at university but I am unsure about whether my suggested courses are good or not. The options are:
Maths A2
Physics A2
History A2
I am unsure about whether I should pick a fourth subject or not and if so, then what subject should I pick?
Original post by Reyman2k10
Since I will be entering y12 in September, I will have to choose my options. I have already decided that I want to do astrophysics at university but I am unsure about whether my suggested courses are good or not. The options are:
Maths A2
Physics A2
History A2
I am unsure about whether I should pick a fourth subject or not and if so, then what subject should I pick?

are you 100% sure you want to do an astrophysics degree - there are other options available to you such as a standard physics degree with some astro options which might open a few more doors to you in the future (I'd imagine most astrophysics careers would still be open to you, and other avenues that might be closed by doing specifically astro would also be open). Anyway for physics further maths would be a decent choice, but is by no means a requirement for most courses
Reply 2
I am not entirely sure about whether I will do astrophysics or not since it was the recommended option by my guidance officer and I may end up doing a normal physics degree with some astrophysics but I doubt I will be doing further maths for A-Level so are there any other subjects which can help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reyman2k10
I am not entirely sure about whether I will do astrophysics or not since it was the recommended option by my guidance officer and I may end up doing a normal physics degree with some astrophysics but I doubt I will be doing further maths for A-Level so are there any other subjects which can help me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly just a general tip, if you reply to people from their message directly (quote them) they get a notification telling them you've replied so its more likely they will see it. There aren't really any others that would be that helpful, which suggests that either chemistry or further maths are useful (fm is much more useful imo out of those 2) but you can always do something you enjoy
Reply 4
Original post by samb1234
Firstly just a general tip, if you reply to people from their message directly (quote them) they get a notification telling them you've replied so its more likely they will see it. There aren't really any others that would be that helpful, which suggests that either chemistry or further maths are useful (fm is much more useful imo out of those 2) but you can always do something you enjoy

Thanks for helping me out. I think I will talk to by guidance officer after my exams to see what options I should choose
Take a fourth sunject so you can drop a subject if you hate it- gives you options
You'll change ur mind on what you want to do after college trust me
Reply 6
Original post by Qmwnebrv
Take a fourth sunject so you can drop a subject if you hate it- gives you options
You'll change ur mind on what you want to do after college trust me

I think I will just do further maths since that's the only unreformed A-Level that would help and I can drop that after y12

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest