The Student Room Group

Area of a triangle(FP1 question)

2016-05-05 (1).png
So in part b, to calculate the triangle, the mark scheme said i need to use (base x height) all devided by 2. But i thought it has to be a right angled triangle to use the formula?
Original post by alesha98
2016-05-05 (1).png
So in part b, to calculate the triangle, the mark scheme said i need to use (base x height) all devided by 2. But i thought it has to be a right angled triangle to use the formula?

Not true. As long as it's the product of the perpendicular height and perpendicular base length (relative to each other) all divided by two, this will always give the area of a triangle
Reply 2
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Not true. As long as it's the product of the perpendicular height and perpendicular base length (relative to each other) all divided by two, this will always give the area of a triangle

When you said "perpendicular", does it not a right angled triangle? If you know, please tell me where are the perpendicular height and perpendicular base from the diagram?
Original post by alesha98
When you said "perpendicular", does it not a right angled triangle? If you know, please tell me where are the perpendicular height and perpendicular base from the diagram?

In this case, SN is the base length, and OP (ie the y co-ordinate of P) is the height. As you can see these two lengths are both perpendicular to each other, hence my previous point
Reply 4
Original post by TheFarmerLad
In this case, SN is the base length, and OP (ie the y co-ordinate of P) is the height. As you can see these two lengths are both perpendicular to each other, hence my previous point

ok thanks, so my concept was wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest