The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Muhammad Shehzar
Really good advice.. I would have also given advice like that but u have already done that.. which leaves nothing for me bro..

Jazak Allah khair brother....i am a girl btw.
Tbh i just quickly wrote what i was thinking then but i am glad it looks good to you. :smile:
The verse of Quraan which u r confused with.. Doe not mean that touching a girl makes a man impure.. but that refers to having ***...
& nobody can insist u to wear hijab but Allah has said that cover your every part of the body which may attract the one from other gender.. which then leads to a sin.. Allah knows everything the best..& May Allah bless all muslims & show them the right path including me..
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

First of all, I'd like to say this thread is very hard to make for me since I've always portrayed myself as a 'proud' Muslim. I have been feeling depressed for the past, say, 4 years of my life. I'm turning 18 in the summer, and I have never felt so ugly, so depressed, so not my self. Imagine realising that you're not going to be able to do what you want in life... that you're living just to wait for death. That is how I feel. I feel completely trapped.

My parents are conservative, very strict, very scary. My father moreso than my mother. My extended family are like that as well, you do one thing that they don't like and you're put under fire by the whole ****ing country. I have aunts and uncles here as well, and if I were to take it off all Hell would break loose.

I just can't try and find justifications for some of the things in Islam. Like this verse in the Quran:
"Men are (meant to be righteous and kind) guardians of women because God has favored some more than others and because they (i.e. men) spend out of their wealth. (In their turn) righteous women are (meant to be) devoted and to guard what God has (willed to be) guarded even though out of sight (of the husband). As for those (women) on whose part you fear ill-will and nasty conduct, admonish them (first), (next) separate them in beds (and last) beat them. But if they obey you, then seek nothing against them. Behold, God is most high and great." (4:34)
This verse is in the Quran, it is not a hadith so you can say "oh that's just someone talking ****", it is the unadulterated word of God Himself.

I just don't see a reason for covering my hair, I can be modest in my thoughts, I can be modest without a hijab. I love God and I hope he forgives me but I just don't understand why? If He made me the way I am and He loves me, why does He order men to rinse their hands from my touch?
"And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" (5:6) Am I created dirty?

I just don't see how this could be 'misinterpreted'. And it's not even just Islam itself, it is the Muslim community. The backwards thinking, the hypocrisy, the oppression hidden behind smiles and empty arguments to trick yourself into believing it's the right thing to do. I don't want to lie to myself, and to God and to my family and say I want to represent this and I believe in this and it makes me happy. It doesn't. I am depressed. I feel like ****. I feel like I am losing purpose. I feel like my dreams are too far to reach.

And I can't ignore it any more. It's been 4 years of constant **** and right now I am itching in my own skin. I am suffering so much and I know it might never end. Because I would be ridiculed and looked down upon and disowned by my own community/ family, nobody would want to marry me, I'm going to be pointed at my mothers who tell their children not to be like me. People are going to scowl in disgust when they hear my name. And I am a person who craves validation. If someone doesn't like me, I go out of my way to make them like me, so that would absolutely destroy me.

Funny how a cloth on your head can do that to ya huh? But I don't know how to live my life the way I want and not to hurt or be hurt by those I love and those I call "family". I just need help. I don't need someone telling me I will go to Hell. God is merciful and will forgive my sins. You are not God.

Any words of reassurance? Advice? Anything?

I understand this more than most,
Ex muslim here. If you ever need anyone to talk to just PM. No judgement nor will I try convert you.
I know how hard it can be, having doubts about your belief system and being in a very strict conservative family can take both a physical and mental toll on you.
Being uncovered will only lead to more misery and depression. Kaffir are hypocrites when they talk about freedom and liberation because they are first to criticise weight and facial appearance when these are not up to par; its actually far more liberating for a women to say ' f/u I'm not playing by your warped rules, let the sisters be covered and judge us on our Dawah/Fitwah rather than our physique'.
If u cant see a thing it does not mean that it does not exist.. We cant see u.. does this mean that u dont exist..???

Because the argument every athesist has for god not existing is simply "we cant see him"

What a terrible argument.

Unsure why you're trying to start a "debate" anyway, if you cant provide useful advice to the OP you're just wasting your time here.
Original post by UB2 Representin
Being uncovered will only lead to more misery and depression. Kaffir are hypocrites when they talk about freedom and liberation because they are first to criticise weight and facial appearance when these are not up to par; its actually far more liberating for a women to say ' f/u I'm not playing by your warped rules, let the sisters be covered and judge us on our Dawah/Fitwah rather than our physique'.

Excuse me.
"Kaffir are hypocrites when they talk about freedom and liberation because they are first to criticise weight and facial appearance"

Actually crying.

You dont think type of behavior occurs within islamic culture?
Because I forgot Islam never criticises a womens appearance... as long as they're covered of course. Wouldn't want a man to get the wrong idea would we. The amount of times ive seen muslim women and men criticising a womens appearance because their hair is showing is disgusting.

Also to add, muslim women still face beauty/physical appearance standards. Us Kaffirs are not special in that sense.

Not trying to cause an argument nor debate. But comments like that are completely distasteful and do nothing but reflect Islam in a more negative light.
Remove it and be proud of yourself for who you are.
Please do not start a discussion atheism vs. religion here. It really is not the right place.
Western international capitalism/marketing encourage the discrimination more than traditional lifestyles. Islam/Sharia acknowledges the frailties of the male psyche and works around them applying practical solutions. Compared with whites who are literally crippled with fear about inconsequential faux pas. Westernettes would be vastly happier under Sharia system and could rediscover their femininity rather than actually having to live daily life cheek by jowl with unrelated men and all the problems that inevitably brings.

(Original post by UB2 Representin)
Being uncovered will only lead to more misery and depression. Kaffir are hypocrites when they talk about freedom and liberation because they are first to criticise weight and facial appearance when these are not up to par; its actually far more liberating for a women to say ' f/u I'm not playing by your warped rules, let the sisters be covered and judge us on our Dawah/Fitwah rather than our physique'. Excuse me.
"Kaffir are hypocrites when they talk about freedom and liberation because they are first to criticise weight and facial appearance"

Actually crying.

You dont think type of behavior occurs within islamic culture?
Because I forgot Islam never criticises a womens appearance... as long as they're covered of course. Wouldn't want a man to get the wrong idea would we. The amount of times ive seen muslim women and men criticising a womens appearance because their hair is showing is disgusting.

Also to add, muslim women still face beauty/physical appearance standards. Us Kaffirs are not special in that sense.

Not trying to cause an argument nor debate. But comments like that are completely distasteful and do nothing but reflect Islam in a more negative light.

Enough. It will not help. Take it somewhere else.
Western international capitalism/marketing encourage the discrimination more than traditional lifestyles. Islam/Sharia acknowledges the frailties of the male psyche and works around them applying practical solutions. Compared with whites who are literally crippled with fear about inconsequential faux pas. Westernettes would be vastly happier under Sharia system and could rediscover their femininity rather than actually having to live daily life cheek by jowl with unrelated men and all the problems that inevitably brings.

Not debating.

However the western world would not benefit from sharia.
Lots of data out there which supports that. I'm sure you educated enough to do a simple google search to educate yourself.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
...why would an all-knowing god need to test somebody...? the whole point of "testing" is to learn, so oes that imply that an all-knowing god has more to learn about? isn't that contradictive? ("yes" )

You've ot it the wrong way round. God is testing us so we see the results. God isn't doing the test for his benefit.
Build yourself up for an escape OP. Save money and get ready to move away.

Don't be alone after that though. Make new tolerant friends and stay safe. Also find a partner who will protect you.
If u cant see a thing it does not mean that it does not exist.. We cant see u.. does this mean that u dont exist..???

fantastic argument, flawless.. i am now a devout believer in the giant cookie monster in the sky! may i be graced with magical baked treats when i die
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 53
If I were filthy rich, I would give money to/create a charity to help people trapped in tyrannical religious families. :s-smilie:

I was lucky to grow up in a liberal family that didn't force me to believe in a religion; I could wear and eat what I wanted. I didn't realise my luck at the time; if only I had known how terrible religious families could be, I would have been more grateful to my parents.

They say that "there is no compulsion", but they punish you if you deviate from their own interpretation of a book that they have probably never read cover to cover...

Hopefully, one day, the world will be free from superstition. :moon:

X

When you go to uni, you'll be able to remove your chains hijab and enjoy life.

From what you've said, it seems that you have been forced to be Muslim. I think that if this religion was true, it wouldn't be needed to force people to follow it.

Because I would be ridiculed and looked down upon and disowned by my own community/ family, nobody would want to marry me, I'm going to be pointed at my mothers who tell their children not to be like me. People are going to scowl in disgust when they hear my name. And I am a person who craves validation.

I must say that most non-Muslims do not care whether you have been disowned by your family for not being a submissive "good" Muslim. Being able to break your chains is an attractive quality for me. The filthy kuffars will accept, befriend, and love you - contrary to your own family.

Keep it up. You're on the good way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by champ_mc99
You've ot it the wrong way round. God is testing us so we see the results. God isn't doing the test for his benefit.

Normally, if he were really all-knowing, he wouldn't have to test us.
My advice is to rid your hijab for good (preferably burn it in a symbolic fashion as a statement against Islamic authoritarianism). As an ex-Muslim, I can honestly say that I'd never felt happier after leaving the religion for good, and now, being in America, I lament for the increasing Islamization of Britain (I presume that's where you reside). Islam, literally translating into "submit" looks at things from a "black/white" perspective, and in your case taking off the hijab is seen as a sin (albeit not really a huge one). But the point is, there's no room for freedom, no such thing as what you'd call "development" or "progress" in Islam (apostasy is punishable by death accoring to the Quran), and it's up to you whether you want to live under such a miserable ideology. :smile: - Good luck in whatever endeavor you pursue!

"Frailties of the male psyche"? Do you mean operating under the assumption that all men are opportunistic perverts, waiting for the opportunity to gaze at a woman's body? This is frankly an embarrassing assumption to hold about men.

Peace :smile:

"Frailties of the male psyche"? Do you mean operating under the assumption that all men are opportunistic perverts, waiting for the opportunity to gaze at a woman's body? This is frankly an embarrassing assumption to hold about men.

Peace :smile:
Original post by champ_mc99

god is testing us to see the results that supposedly he already knows... I'd say he's just playing with us... we're all just play-dolls for him
I thought wearing a hijab was a choice? I was clearly wrong.
In some ways a hijab can be very oppressive.

Latest