The Student Room Group

The Hezzlington Cooking Blog - A student that eats like a King

Scroll to see replies

@hezzlington i was hoping a little more king-ly
such as pan fried scallops served in a spiced coconut lime sauce
all you need is
cheap frozen scallops( 450g is about £6)
150ml coconut milk or cream (or both for indulgence)
2 limes, juiced and zested
5g of fresh grated ginger
a bouquet garni (made with star anise, a cinnamon stick and a couple of bay leaves)
1 tsp cornflour

1. in one saucepan mix the coconut and lime juice and heat to a simmer, add the bouquet garni, ginger and lime zest and allow to cook for 15 minutes
2. fry scallops in a shallow pan using butter for 3-5 minutes
3. remove bouquet garni, whisk cornflour into sauce and allow to thicken
4. transfer scallops to plate and apply sauce

tips
you can try
adding finely chopped fresh or dried chilli to the sauce for an extra kick
adding vermouth or sake to the scallops as they cook in the pan with some finely chopped garlic and shallots
Original post by jamesthehustler
@hezzlington i was hoping a little more king-ly
such as pan fried scallops served in a spiced coconut lime sauce
all you need is
cheap frozen scallops( 450g is about £6)
150ml coconut milk or cream (or both for indulgence)
2 limes, juiced and zested
5g of fresh grated ginger
a bouquet garni (made with star anise, a cinnamon stick and a couple of bay leaves)
1 tsp cornflour

1. in one saucepan mix the coconut and lime juice and heat to a simmer, add the bouquet garni, ginger and lime zest and allow to cook for 15 minutes
2. fry scallops in a shallow pan using butter for 3-5 minutes
3. remove bouquet garni, whisk cornflour into sauce and allow to thicken
4. transfer scallops to plate and apply sauce

tips
you can try
adding finely chopped fresh or dried chilli to the sauce for an extra kick
adding vermouth or sake to the scallops as they cook in the pan with some finely chopped garlic and shallots

Sounds awesome, I've never had scallops before.

It was no where near as kingly as I was hoping, didn't get to document the stuff I usually eat. I eat around 1 - 3 steaks a week. I wanted to make some beautiful consommés and other fun stuff, but my pressure cooker broke which restricted me.

the blog sucks I know hahaha, maybe I gave up too early..it's just for the next month i don't have enough time/space/money to do it all to the extent I was hoping.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hezzlington
Sounds awesome, I've never had scallops before.

It was no where near as kingly as I was hoping, didn't get to document the stuff I usually eat. I eat around 1 - 3 steaks a week. I wanted to make some beautiful consommés and other fun stuff, but my pressure cooker broke which restricted me.

the blog sucks I know hahaha, maybe I gave up too early..it's just for the next month i don't have enough time/space/money to do it all to the extent I was hoping.

money has restricted some of my other efforts
like some stuff i try to keep in the house at all times
brandy
vermouth
gold, silver and platinum leaf
frozen chicken, scallops and several steaks
canned chickpeas
coconut milk
vanilla pods
cinnamon sticks
good vanilla extract
saffron
some stuff is more possible so is harder
Original post by jamesthehustler
money has restricted some of my other efforts
like some stuff i try to keep in the house at all times
brandy
vermouth
gold, silver and platinum leaf
frozen chicken, scallops and several steaks
canned chickpeas
coconut milk
vanilla pods
cinnamon sticks
good vanilla extract
saffron
some stuff is more possible so is harder

I've cooked with vanilla pods, but it looked really bad so I didn't post it on here. Was about £1 per pod, Madagascan :sexface:

I love coconut milk and cream blocks. I really want to get into Thai cooking but i'm on a diet and man that **** is so high in fat/calories. What does vermouth taste like? Martini?? I'm trying to look for a nice sherry vinegar to add to the cupboard.

I haven't cooked with saffron yet, but will do soon. I don't know where to get good quality stuff, my local asda do some but it's expensive for a small amount (ofcourse - but who knows how good quality it is)
Original post by hezzlington
I've cooked with vanilla pods, but it looked really bad so I didn't post it on here. Was about £1 per pod, Madagascan :sexface:

I love coconut milk and cream blocks. I really want to get into Thai cooking but i'm on a diet and man that **** is so high in fat/calories. What does vermouth taste like? Martini?? I'm trying to look for a nice sherry vinegar to add to the cupboard.

I haven't cooked with saffron yet, but will do soon. I don't know where to get good quality stuff, my local asda do some but it's expensive for a small amount (ofcourse - but who knows how good quality it is)

i had some indian vanilla pods which were ok i paid £20 including shipping and had 250 pods turn up (i used some gave them away i eventually made a gallon of vanilla vodka to use the final hundred as they started to dry out)

vermouth think white wine for the more basic stuff but lillet blanc is a bit special and isn't too expensive £15 per bottle and is when chilled quite drinkable neat but works best in a cocktail like an americano, manhattan or martini

saffron i got mine for about 70p a pot from lidl of all places and proceeded to buy 10
(edited 7 years ago)
bump
Reply 226
He's the master chef indeed.
Cook us something, Hezzlington

Quick Reply

Latest