The Student Room Group

Stretch Marks!

Hi guys!

So after about a year of going out with my boyfriend of three years I gained a little bit of weight (due to pill) i got quite a few stretch marks. Mainly got them on the tops of my thighs, little bit of my boobs but then mostly on the back of my calves.

Now these are purple still after around 2 years, I've went to see a doctor and all they said is that they will fade over time. My other stretch marks have and they are a white colour. But the ones on my calves are still quite purple. I have tried EVERY cream,oil and scrub but nothing seems to be working on them.

I've sort of come accustomed to them now but it does make me self concious especially when i want to wear skirts and dresses.

Any help? Remedies that have worked for you? xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

Thank you very much!
Reply 3
Don't expect them to fade completely - not even laser therapy can do that.

If you want to improve their appearance, massaging is always the best option, preferably with some oil or cream. Exfoliation is also good, but make sure you don't hurt yourself.

I don't have stretch marks per se, but I do have some surgical scars and it's pretty much the same, and that's what I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I severely burnt one of my thighs as a child and used a gel called 'mederma'. What was a serious burn requiring a skin graft and sheets of silver, now is only a super super faint mark. Most people don't even notice my scar at all. The gel is really easy to use and works fab - I would 100% recommend it for any scar, including stretch marks.
I've heard bio-oil can help and was recommended it with my stretch marks :smile:
Original post by JS31294
Hi guys!

So after about a year of going out with my boyfriend of three years I gained a little bit of weight (due to pill) i got quite a few stretch marks. Mainly got them on the tops of my thighs, little bit of my boobs but then mostly on the back of my calves.

Now these are purple still after around 2 years, I've went to see a doctor and all they said is that they will fade over time. My other stretch marks have and they are a white colour. But the ones on my calves are still quite purple. I have tried EVERY cream,oil and scrub but nothing seems to be working on them.

I've sort of come accustomed to them now but it does make me self concious especially when i want to wear skirts and dresses.

You're looking for a fast quick solution to the problem however

"time is the best healer"
Original post by JS31294
Hi guys!

I feel I'm in a good position to give you advice as the same thing happened to me, and then I had a baby and got stretch marks all over my stomach!

Exercise is absolutely brilliant! It increases blood flow around your body which helps stretch marks fade faster. Weight loss obviously sees stretch marks fade too. It sounds strange but getting a spray tan hides stretch marks for some reason.
The most important thing though is that everyone has them at some point! You shouldn't be embarrassed or feel self conscious about them, they are a sign that you've changed in your life and you should rock that :smile:
I'm a guy with ALOT of stretch marks and I've used various oils and creams and nothing really seemed to work for me :frown: I guess you gotta be comfortable with it plus having strechmarks is a normal thing to have :smile:
BIO OIL CANNOT RECOMEND ENOUGH. I used it on my face for acne/chicken pox scars and they have faded completely. It says on the bottle that you can use it on stretch marks too.
Reply 10
Original post by *Stefan*
Don't expect them to fade completely - not even laser therapy can do that.

If you want to improve their appearance, massaging is always the best option, preferably with some oil or cream. Exfoliation is also good, but make sure you don't hurt yourself.

I don't have stretch marks per se, but I do have some surgical scars and it's pretty much the same, and that's what I do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, no i know they wont fade completely. The ones on my thighs are silver/white now and thats fine, its just the ones on my calves because they are still quite purple in colour.

Okay brilliant, thank you for your help!
Reply 11
Original post by Han-
I severely burnt one of my thighs as a child and used a gel called 'mederma'. What was a serious burn requiring a skin graft and sheets of silver, now is only a super super faint mark. Most people don't even notice my scar at all. The gel is really easy to use and works fab - I would 100% recommend it for any scar, including stretch marks.

Aww brilliant, i'll have a look into it! Thank you!
Reply 12
Original post by Slowbro93
I've heard bio-oil can help and was recommended it with my stretch marks :smile:

I've tried Bio-oil used it everyday for around 6months, helped the ones on my thighs/hips but not my calves. Thank you for your response!
Reply 13
Original post by thefatone
You're looking for a fast quick solution to the problem however

"time is the best healer"

I'm not looking for a 'fast, quick solution' because i've had them for around 2 years.
Reply 14
Original post by CarolGray91
I feel I'm in a good position to give you advice as the same thing happened to me, and then I had a baby and got stretch marks all over my stomach!

Exercise is absolutely brilliant! It increases blood flow around your body which helps stretch marks fade faster. Weight loss obviously sees stretch marks fade too. It sounds strange but getting a spray tan hides stretch marks for some reason.
The most important thing though is that everyone has them at some point! You shouldn't be embarrassed or feel self conscious about them, they are a sign that you've changed in your life and you should rock that :smile:

Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'll try those remedies and see if they help :smile:
Yeah I have become more accostumed to them and i embrace the ones on my thighs/hips now. Its just the ones on my calves because they are still quite purple in colour they make me feel more concious.
Reply 15
Original post by bhangal96
I'm a guy with ALOT of stretch marks and I've used various oils and creams and nothing really seemed to work for me :frown: I guess you gotta be comfortable with it plus having strechmarks is a normal thing to have :smile:

Yeah I think at some point you have to be grateful for the body you have and embrace them for what they are :smile:
Original post by JS31294
I'm not looking for a 'fast, quick solution' because i've had them for around 2 years.

i see.... well tbh we're in the same boat(i'm male) and i got lots of weird(what appear to be) stretch marks around my shoulders(both) and a large patch above my right man tiddy and a small patch above my left .....
Reply 17
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
BIO OIL CANNOT RECOMEND ENOUGH. I used it on my face for acne/chicken pox scars and they have faded completely. It says on the bottle that you can use it on stretch marks too.

See I used Bio-oil everyday for around 6months, it helped to fade the ones on my hips/thighs but didnt help with the ones on my calves. Thank youu!
Reply 18
Original post by thefatone
i see.... well tbh we're in the same boat(i'm male) and i got lots of weird(what appear to be) stretch marks around my shoulders(both) and a large patch above my right man tiddy and a small patch above my left .....

Ahh right
Original post by JS31294
Ahh right

it's weird but i'm sure it'll go but my dad keeps stressing me over it and i really just want him to **** off.(i really do hate my dad.)

Quick Reply

Latest