Attachment not found

I just don't understand the part I put a box around in the second picture
Reply 1
Original post by creativebuzz
Untitled.png

Attachment not found

Let's call it them (married couple 1) = MC1 and (married couple 2) = MC2

Then, in any two couples - you want P(only 1 husband and only 1 wife).

Which is P(MC1 both has degree)P(MC2 neither has degree) + P(MC2 both has degree + MC1 both has degree) + (stuff)

= 1124×43120+1124×43120=2(1124×43120)\frac{11}{24} \times \frac{43}{120} + \frac{11}{24} \times \frac{43}{120} = 2\left(\frac{11}{24} \times \frac{43}{120}\right)

The +(stuff) is the bit you already understand, I think.
Untitled.png

Attachment not found

Box part refers to the last two semicolon delimited items in the previous line.

If only one husband and one wife have a degree, then either.

a) the two with degrees are in defferent couples - the first two items in the pervious line, or

b) they are in the same couple. I.e. husband and wife of one couple both have degrees, and in the other couple neither has a degree.

Edit: I've been ninga'd. :eek:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ghostwalker

Nobody replies for an hour and then we both reply within the span of a minute. :lol:
Box part refers to the last two semicolon delimited items in the previous line.

If only one husband and one wife have a degree, then either.

a) the two with degrees are in defferent couples - the first two items in the pervious line, or

b) they are in the same couple. I.e. husband and wife of one couple both have degrees, and in the other couple neither has a degree.

But for the first part multiplication they did

2xp(only husband)xp(only wife) but don't they have to multiply that by P(not the other husband having it)x(not the other wife having it) to complete the sample set of (Husband A having a degree, Wife A having a degree, Husband B not having a degree, Wife B not having a degree)
Original post by Zacken
Let's call it them (married couple 1) = MC1 and (married couple 2) = MC2

Then, in any two couples - you want P(only 1 husband and only 1 wife).

Which is P(MC1 both has degree)P(MC2 neither has degree) + P(MC2 both has degree + MC1 both has degree) + (stuff)

= 1124×43120+1124×43120=2(1124×43120)\frac{11}{24} \times \frac{43}{120} + \frac{11}{24} \times \frac{43}{120} = 2\left(\frac{11}{24} \times \frac{43}{120}\right)

The +(stuff) is the bit you already understand, I think.

Oh I understand the second multiplication now, thanks! Would you mind giving me a hand on this question?

2.png

Attachment not found

I have no idea where I went wrong and what the hell they're doing :P

Attachment not found
Original post by Zacken
Nobody replies for an hour and then we both reply within the span of a minute. :lol:

Hey Zacken, hate to be a pain but could you give me a hand on the regression question I posted!
Reply 7
I'm about to go offline right now, so hopefully someone else will help you!
Oh I understand the second multiplication now, thanks! Would you mind giving me a hand on this question?

2.png

Attachment not found

I have no idea where I went wrong and what the hell they're doing :P

Attachment not found

Check your formula book or textbook. The first thing I notice is that you've confused xy\sum xy with SxyS_{xy} or sxys_{xy}.

Not checked beyond that.
Check your formula book or textbook. The first thing I notice is that you've confused xy\sum xy with SxyS_{xy} or sxys_{xy}.

Not checked beyond that.

No need to check anything else! That's where I went wrong (so stupid)! But thank you, I've got the answer right now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest