The Student Room Group

How many applications did it take you to get into GEM?

Hey guys,

So, I'm just about to finish my undergrad degree in Microbiology. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a GEM place this year but what I want to know is the following:

1) How many applications did it take you before gaining a GEM place?

2) What are your stats?

3) If it took more than 2 tries, what did you do on your year out?

Haha as you can probably tell this is to provide a little hope to all those who are still trying to get a GEM place..........

Cheers,

H
Reply 1
Original post by xxHJCxx
Hey guys,

So, I'm just about to finish my undergrad degree in Microbiology. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a GEM place this year but what I want to know is the following:

2) What are your stats?

Haha as you can probably tell this is to provide a little hope to all those who are still trying to get a GEM place..........

Cheers,

H

Just took me the one, but I've spoken to people on my course next year and some of them have applied 3 or 4 times! Plus, I only got one offer from four interviews - it's disgustingly competitive.
I got A*AB at A level (Chemistry, Physics and Maths), and a predicted 1st in Physiology and Pharmacology (Leicester). I got 747.5 in my UKCAT.
Nothing special on the work experience front, volunteering on a charity trolley in a hospital, and at a HIV clinic.
Hope any of that helped.
Original post by xxHJCxx

2) What are your stats?

Sorry things didn't go to plan this year but enjoy a year of actually working and being a normal adult before hitting 4 more years of school books!

1. 3rd time lucky
2. BSc 1st, PGcert & 705 UKCAT (AADbd from 2005 and 2A*9A1B from 2003)
3. I worked in postgrad medical education as part of deanery support team (8 months) until I got my medical photography post (will have done 18 months at the point I leave). I also started an MSc but it proved too expensive so just took the credits for a PGCert. I had 2 years out :smile:

Just smash the UKCAT and be appropriate in interviews :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by xxHJCxx
Hey guys,

2) What are your stats?

Cheers,

H

1) Got in at the first attempt.
2) 1st BSc, 702.5 UKCAT, 67 GAMSAT, HCA and volunteering for work exp.

Honestly just nail the entrance exams and have some social skills to pass an interview and you're fine. Doesn't matter how many eminent surgeons you've shadowed or well you did in your degree; if your UKCAT sucks, they're gunna reject you.
Reply 4
Thanks for the responses guys, it's interesting to see what individual people did.

I got 697 UKCAT this time round, alas it was just too short of Warwicks/Newcastles cut-off. Hopefully I'll be more lucky in the next application cycle.
Reply 5
First attempt
UKCAT: 742.5
Alevels: AAB (Bio, physics Maths- this was before A*)
Degree: Genetics 2.1
1.5 years volunteering at hospital (done couple years before even applying to bulk up my graduate job applications during 1 degree before knowing I even wanted to apply for medicine :u:), work shadowing at 2 different hospitals, started a HCA job the week after submitting my UCAS application

UKCAT cutoff were crazy high my year, so rejected from all but one before interview becuse I didn't meet cutoff, but one was all I needed, and was my first chocie anyway!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Thought I'd reply as an unsuccessful, yet hopeful, applicant:

1) Applied twice, fell short on entrance exam (GAMSAT) both times

2) GAMSAT: 53 (first application), 58/59 (second application (actually sat the exam twice scored 58 in March and 58/59 in September)). No A-levels (arts student so have a BTEC), BA 2.2. Work experience - 4hrs p/w care work since Nov 2013, 4hrs p/w volunteering at local hospital Jan 2014 - May 2015. 7 days shadowing doctors August 2014. Full-time HCA since May 2015 - present (quit my marketing full time marketing job).

3) Currently doing a Masters to help boost my application as with a 2.2 it's incredibly difficult. Fortunately I am track for a merit which opens up some more options for my application this year and the course is almost finished \o/ . However, doing a full-time Masters and working full-time has been pretty strenuous and required many social sacrifices, but I suppose GEM won't be much different haha. Also I am trying to arrange some more shadowing with some of the doctors from the hospital I work at, which will hopefully be this summer some time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by xxHJCxx
Hey guys,

2) What are your stats?

Cheers,

H

Hey there,

It took me 3 tries. So if you really want it, keep at it.

I got 720 on the UKCAT with a 1st. In my year out I did bar work and science tutoring.

The only sure way to get into one of these courses is to do really well on the UKCAT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by jackjohnstone
Hey there,

It took me 3 tries. So if you really want it, keep at it.

I got 720 on the UKCAT with a 1st. In my year out I did bar work and science tutoring.

The only sure way to get into one of these courses is to do really well on the UKCAT.

Thanks for the reply man, I will stick with it but if you don't mind me asking, what did you do in the other two application cycles? Or were you studying your undergrad?

Also where did you get into in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending