The Student Room Group

5th May Elections Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pro Crastination
Labour have done appallingly in Scotland.

And the funniest thing is that it has nothing do with Corbyn; it's protest voting against whassername. The news media is having a fit.
Certainly a mixed night. It is very good to see the SNP stalling and the Tories almost certainly being the second party in Holyrood, on the flip side I must commend Labour for doing so well in the council elections. Ideally losses would be greater, with more Tory gains, but I cannot say I am disheartened to see ukip and lib dem gains. It will be nice to see Tory opposition in Wales but things aren't too great there. Well done to ukip there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neverdie
And the funniest thing is that it has nothing do with Corbyn; it's protest voting against whassername. The news media is having a fit.

It was expected that labour would fall in Scotland, perhaps the bigger thing there is the SNP doing nowhere near as well as expected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Galloway for mayor!!!!!!

Trolololol
SNP have more or less stalled in Scotland, only up 1% of the vote. Tories storming it though, up about 8% and just behind Lab for vote share.
Original post by Rakas21
:colone:

You could regret those words in the morning.

It's unfortunate that there is no seat calculator for locals but Labour will have had a good night if the vote share averages to within 5% i think.

Honestly, not sure about you, but I'm feeling very safe at the moment :biggrin:

Original post by Jammy Duel
Certainly a mixed night. It is very good to see the SNP stalling and the Tories almost certainly being the second party in Holyrood, on the flip side I must commend Labour for doing so well in the council elections. Ideally losses would be greater, with more Tory gains, but I cannot say I am disheartened to see ukip and lib dem gains. It will be nice to see Tory opposition in Wales but things aren't too great there. Well done to ukip there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You probably won't be the official opposition in Wales - you've come third behind Plaid Cymru and it looks as though with an unexpectedly strong showing of 29 seats, Labour will run another minority administration rather than enter coalition.
Original post by Saoirse:3
Honestly, not sure about you, but I'm feeling very safe at the moment :biggrin:

You probably won't be the official opposition in Wales - you've come third behind Plaid Cymru and it looks as though with an unexpectedly strong showing of 29 seats, Labour will run another minority administration rather than enter coalition.

I was expecting things slightly better in Wales to at least tie with PC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats to the Conservatives (and Greens) in Scotland, some impressive results north of the border. Labour have done pretty abysmally, but I think the party did a good job in lowering expectations so that the non right wing press won't just be talking about their failures. I think the Lib Dems have stabilised now and are finally showing signs that they are on the way back to recovery (but this will take multiple general elections) , the most recent projected national share of the vote finally puts them back in 3rd place at 15% of the vote and UKIP at 11%. UKIP have made some modest breakthroughs in England, though I don't think their gains have had too much of an effect on the overall picture in terms of councils being held and lost; I think UKIP will be most happy with the Welsh Assembly results.

Overall I'm (as a Lib Dem) indifferent to mildly optimistic, and quite chuffed at the Scottish constituency level results. (I'm also wondering if we might possibly be able to take Brecon and Radnorshire in 2020 after the kind of result Kirsty Williams got last night.)
I was expecting things slightly better in Wales to at least tie with PC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, not disastrous by any means but definitely a dissapointment for the Welsh Conservatives after their relative success at the General Election. And if you could have forced Labour into coalition with Plaid I'm sure the national party would definitely try to make something out of Labour working with someone as left-wing and controversial as Leanne Wood - "First they tried to sell you out to the SNP, now they're in the pocket of a loony seperatist who thinks Wales should be independent, hates Britain and wants to abolish the monarchy!"
****ing hell, after all that Labour destroyed the Conservatives in everywhere locally and nationally bar Scotland, where the Scots are only pissed with Dugdale.

Count on democracy to, more or less, cut out all the crap and deliver the people's true verdict on parties and leaders.
****ing hell, after all that Labour destroyed the Conservatives in everywhere locally and nationally bar Scotland, where the Scots are only pissed with Dugdale.

Count on democracy to, more or less, cut out all the crap and deliver the people's true verdict on parties and leaders.

Labour destroyed the Conservatives? They lost 9% of the vote in Wales and polled just 31% in England (the same as last year).

It was the worst result for an opposition party in England since 1985.
Original post by Rakas21
Labour destroyed the Conservatives? They lost 9% of the vote in Wales and polled just 31% in England (the same as last year).

It was the worst result for an opposition party in England since 1985.

Well the results as it stands, which would take quite something to show something different:

Councils - Labour have 57, Conservatives are scraping over half that. So far Labour have net lost 1, Conservatives are breaking even.

Councillors - Labour have 1,278, Conservatives have 753. And the Conservatives have lost plenty more in net than Labour. That's incredible.

London Mayor: Labour's candidate easily won, with I think not only the largest majority of votes in both rounds than the Conservatives managed, but since 2000!

Wales: Labour have triple the Conservatives', losing only 1, while Conservatives lost 3.

They may even have a bigger vote share than the Conservatives. So much for a disaster! Despite the resurgence of Lib Dems and UKIP, it's the Conservatives that they've hurt. What a turn up!
Well the results as it stands, which would take quite something to show something different:

Councils - Labour have 57, Conservatives are scraping over half that. So far Labour have net lost 1, Conservatives are breaking even.

Councillors - Labour have 1,278, Conservatives have 753. And the Conservatives have lost plenty more in net than Labour. That's incredible.

London Mayor: Labour's candidate easily won, with I think not only the largest majority of votes in both rounds than the Conservatives managed, but since 2000!

Wales: Labour have triple the Conservatives', losing only 1, while Conservatives lost 3.

They may even have a bigger vote share than the Conservatives. So much for a disaster! Despite the resurgence of Lib Dems and UKIP, it's the Conservatives that they've hurt. What a turn up!

The number of councilors and councils is somewhat irrelevant because different bits of the country hold their elections in different years. The Tories have a massive majority in next years councils for example which does not mean Labour did badly in 2013, just that the ones up for grabs are all in the Shires. What matters is the average vote and swing.

The Tories saw a small net gain. Labour saw a small net loss. What results are you reading?

Yes, Labour did very well in a city which is completely unrepresentative of the country at large and failed to go blue even in 2010 or 2015.

Yes, pretty much all the Lab and Con lost votes went to Ukip which is why the seat totals stayed similar even though actually Labour shed a lot of votes. The Welsh results actually delivered a net swing from Lab to Con.
Original post by Rakas21
The number of councilors and councils is somewhat irrelevant because different bits of the country hold their elections in different years. The Tories have a massive majority in next years councils for example which does not mean Labour did badly in 2013, just that the ones up for grabs are all in the Shires. What matters is the average vote and swing.

The Tories saw a small net gain. Labour saw a small net loss. What results are you reading?

Yes, Labour did very well in a city which is completely unrepresentative of the country at large and failed to go blue even in 2010 or 2015.

Yes, pretty much all the Lab and Con lost votes went to Ukip which is why the seat totals stayed similar even though actually Labour shed a lot of votes. The Welsh results actually delivered a net swing from Lab to Con.

Can't link from mobile but BBC showing Labour net loss of 24 compared to Tory net loss of 35.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise the world does exist outside of London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You do realise the world does exist outside of London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't even mention London in that post.
I didn't even mention London in that post.

So the only place with any swing to labour is the only place where there was no domination?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the only place with any swing to labour is the only place where there was no domination?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Swing? The numbers say Labour trounced the Conservatives in the councils, councillors, London Mayoral election and Wales.
Swing? The numbers say Labour trounced the Conservatives in the councils, councillors, London Mayoral election and Wales.

They made losses or no net gains everywhere. Wales: down 8pc in constituency seats, 4pc in list seats, the Tories also down but not as much.

Councils: Tories, no change in vote share on 2012, labour down a few per cent. The only net change in councils, one from labour to NOC

London Assembly: I don't know vote share figures, but in terms of AMs Tories and lib dems down 1, UKIP up two. Likely a case with the lib dems of losing one to labour and then labour losing one to ukip, or lib dem to con and two con to UKIP.

The only labour net gains from the Tories was for London mayor.

Police and Crimea commissioners, con take Bedfordshire from lab. Tory gains in Cleveland. Derbyshire, massive Tory gains. Looking at the list so far though there has been 1 lab to con, 2 con to lab and 6 Ind to con and likely a net swing to the Tories from labour in terms of vote shares

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply