The Student Room Group

Quitting my full time job and starting uni. Does that sound crazy?

I'm currently going through a slight quarter life crisis. I really want to consider going to University and studying an English degree. I'm 27 years old and I work in a college full time with a good liveable wage coming in each month. I live with my partner in a rented property and it isn't possible for me to live with my parents as they do not live in the UK. Is it possible for me to quit my job and go full time at uni and still be able to live in my rented property and still pay rent, eat and live reasonable comfortable (by that I mean stay warm, buy the things I need)

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, I have no idea where to turn and this issue is the only thing holding me back.
Difficult to answer. Does your partner work?
Reply 2
Yes but he only works at a grill restaurant. Its hard to shift him into doing something better. I'm more the ambious one then him. I mean even if i can do part time somewhere and still go to uni. But still totally unsure.
Original post by Manga_Lover
I'm currently going through a slight quarter life crisis. I really want to consider going to University and studying an English degree. I'm 27 years old and I work in a college full time with a good liveable wage coming in each month. I live with my partner in a rented property and it isn't possible for me to live with my parents as they do not live in the UK. Is it possible for me to quit my job and go full time at uni and still be able to live in my rented property and still pay rent, eat and live reasonable comfortable (by that I mean stay warm, buy the things I need)

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, I have no idea where to turn and this issue is the only thing holding me back.

You just need to do the math.

Work out your current outgoings or better still the essential outgoings.

Compare that with how much student grant you might get and whether you can sipplement that with a p/t job.
You can also look to see if there are any bursaries offered by the Uni.

If the math doesnt work out for full time, then consider p/t or the open University.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=6463-Full-time-students
Kinda irrelevant but where are you looking to take your degree?
Reply 5
Become an editor or a publisher or even become a primary school teacher. On of the two.
Ok thanks 999tigger. That definately sounds like a better way to go around it. Just need to plan as you've said. Thanks
As a full time student, you're entitled to 25% council tax discount.
Become an editor or a publisher or even become a primary school teacher. On of the two.
Ok thanks 999tigger. That definately sounds like a better way to go around it. Just need to plan as you've said. Thanks

Money will be the issue, but if doing a degree is really your ambition, then you can do one. As you dont seem to wnat to move, then you shuld start looking at the web page for English degrees at he Unis nearby and they can inspire you.

You dont mention what academic hurdles you might have, but you can get past them by doing an access or foundation course if your A levels arent good enough.

It is all possible, just a case of doing the research and then maybe svaing a bit of money plus getting your finances sorted out.
Could you try the Open University?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to see how much student finance would give you, which you can do going by this calculator
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

As you are over 25 your partners household income will be assessed to determine how much you could get. On top of that, universities offer bursaries to those from low income backgrounds- typically under £30,000 although some will have higher thresholds, each amount differs and will be listed on a universities finance webpage.

At most universities you should find yourself with enough free time to get a part time job if you needed some extra cash- many students work in shops, pubs or cafes/restaurants either at their university or in the university town.

Or, as others have said, try the Open University. It's designed for those who can't attend a brick uni, because for example they need to carry on working full time. You can't get a maintainance loan though.

Hi

You are in the same position as I was a year ago! I was (still am until September 2016) in an okay paid job but I was miserable. I really wasn't happy with my career. So I decided to start researching into what else I would like to do. This was November 2014. I decided on Primary Education. I don't have a degree and my Alevels weren't great so in April 2015 I started an access course via distance study while working full time. I applied to 3 universities for their BEd Primary Education with QTS and received an offer for my first choice. I finished my access course 2 weeks ago and have nearly completed all the conditions. I handed in my notice at work and finish in September ready to begin my degree.

Financially, I was concerned, so I did my homework. I am going into this with eyes wide open. I am in a relationship but I don't live with my girlfriend. I put my details into the gov calculator and it said that living alone I would receive about 6,900 and with my partner (just for info purposes) 7,000 a year. What I am actually able to borrow for living costs is £8,600.

Obviously, you are in a different set of circumstances to me but this should show you that you can make it work. You do need to talk to your partner as his income will affect what you can borrow. Also, do look into how much you pay out. I would apply for the uni place and then apply for the student finance and see if what they give you is workable. Could you save any money?

Basically just do your research but please don't let your age or circumstances put you off. This has been a hellish year for me working full time and studying effectively full time to get on to the degree but its doable and so worth while.

Oh and I am 27 years old too!
Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ljayne89
Hi

You are in the same position as I was a year ago! I was (still am until September 2016) in an okay paid job but I was miserable. I really wasn't happy with my career. So I decided to start researching into what else I would like to do. This was November 2014. I decided on Primary Education. I don't have a degree and my Alevels weren't great so in April 2015 I started an access course via distance study while working full time. I applied to 3 universities for their BEd Primary Education with QTS and received an offer for my first choice. I finished my access course 2 weeks ago and have nearly completed all the conditions. I handed in my notice at work and finish in September ready to begin my degree.

Financially, I was concerned, so I did my homework. I am going into this with eyes wide open. I am in a relationship but I don't live with my girlfriend. I put my details into the gov calculator and it said that living alone I would receive about 6,900 and with my partner (just for info purposes) 7,000 a year. What I am actually able to borrow for living costs is £8,600.

Obviously, you are in a different set of circumstances to me but this should show you that you can make it work. You do need to talk to your partner as his income will affect what you can borrow. Also, do look into how much you pay out. I would apply for the uni place and then apply for the student finance and see if what they give you is workable. Could you save any money?

Basically just do your research but please don't let your age or circumstances put you off. This has been a hellish year for me working full time and studying effectively full time to get on to the degree but its doable and so worth while.

Oh and I am 27 years old too!
Good luck!

Ohh thank you that is very helpful and yes very similar circumstances. I'm glad that its possible.
Ljayne89, What access course did you do? I do have an interest in getting into Primary education. What did you need to do? I currently have a Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and education which is equivalent to 3 A levels.
Ljayne89, What access course did you do? I do have an interest in getting into Primary education. What did you need to do? I currently have a Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and education which is equivalent to 3 A levels.

Sorry, only just noticed this. I completed Access to Primary Education (Science). They also offer English which might be more of an interest to you.

http://www.distancelearningcentre.com/career/teaching-primary/I would contact the admissions offices of the university's that you want to apply to. I have other level 3 qualifications which I could have used but I wanted to apply with something to show I was interested in primary (I currently work in accountancy and all my qualifications are based around this). They may accept your Childcare and education diploma as its linked and a level 3 in which case I would apply with that and not worry about access. Depends on what you want to study.

Other things that I had to accommodate for:
- relevant work experience in a school
- QTS tests in numeracy and literacy
- GCSE English and Maths at grade C (some may ask for B's)

One other thing... are you a British Citizen? I noticed you stated that your parents don't live in the UK. If you aren't this might affect what you receive in terms of student maintenance loan. Something to look into.

:smile:
Reply 14

Life's too short, do it. If it doesn't feel right, and deep down you will know if it doesn't feel right, then don't.

I would suggest trying to find a part time job or a reasonably low demand job just to keep things ticking over.
Also - different routes into teaching...

You could do an degree in a subject that interests you (English as you mentioned) and then do a PGCE. Will take you 4 years.

OR

Do a degree in Primary Education with QTS (the QTS bit is what allows you to teach after the degree is completed) which will take 3 years.

Someone mentioned above about the open uni which is a viable option if going to a bricks and mortar uni is out of the question for whatever reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending