The Student Room Group

Q=mcT in a solution, which mass?

Say you're mixing two aqueous compounds together, and they react in either an exo/endothermic reaction.
If a chemistry question tells you that c=4.2 kJkg^-1K^-1 but it doesn't tell you which solution this applies to, how do you know which mass to use in the equation Q=mcT to calculate the enthalpy change?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurasaur
Say you're mixing two aqueous compounds together, and they react in either an exo/endothermic reaction.
If a chemistry question tells you that c=4.2 kJkg^-1K^-1 but it doesn't tell you which solution this applies to, how do you know which mass to use in the equation Q=mcT to calculate the enthalpy change?

eyy it's quite common to get this wrong,

but m=mass of water
Reply 2
Original post by thefatone
eyy it's quite common to get this wrong,

but m=mass of water

Thank youuuu! :h:

So would you use the total volume of water heated by the reactants, assuming 1cm^3 = 1g to work it out?

E.g. if you had 10cm^3 of aqueous "X" and 20cm^3 of aqueous "Y", the mass used in the equation is 30g?
Thank youuuu! :h:

So would you use the total volume of water heated by the reactants, assuming 1cm^3 = 1g to work it out?

E.g. if you had 10cm^3 of aqueous "X" and 20cm^3 of aqueous "Y", the mass used in the equation is 30g?

yes you would.

This brings me back to kck_c and hess's law..... oh the memories xD
Reply 4
yes you would.

This brings me back to kck_c and hess's law..... oh the memories xD

You're a life saver, thanks! 1.7 years of a-level chemistry, and now I finally understand enthalpy :colondollar:
You're a life saver, thanks! 1.7 years of a-level chemistry, and now I finally understand enthalpy :colondollar:

I'm so doomed for chem too :cry: i haven't revised enough bc i spend all my time on physics ._.
Reply 6
I'm so doomed for chem too :cry: i haven't revised enough bc i spend all my time on physics ._.

I feel ya there, physics is intense.:ahhhhh:

Keep going, you can do it!!!!!!! :hugs:
I feel ya there, physics is intense.:ahhhhh:

Keep going, you can do it!!!!!!! :hugs:

The only i can do is get a U >.> no matter how hard i try
Reply 8
The only i can do is get a U >.> no matter how hard i try

I'm sending you some positive vibes :hippie:
Don't give up, and anyway you've got a summer holiday to look forward to afterwards.
I would bake cake and cookies for you if I could, they make everything better!!
I'm sending you some positive vibes :hippie:
Don't give up, and anyway you've got a summer holiday to look forward to afterwards.
I would bake cake and cookies for you if I could, they make everything better!!

I know everyone irl and on here tres to make me positive but i will stay pessimist forever.

A summer holiday where i just work on A level stuff, find a job and searh for a course i wanna do at which uni(not fun.....)
Reply 10
I know everyone irl and on here tres to make me positive but i will stay pessimist forever.

A summer holiday where i just work on A level stuff, find a job and searh for a course i wanna do at which uni(not fun.....)

Go outside and play with a puppy or something 😂
Go outside and play with a puppy or something 😂

I know i'm being such a huge ****
but

I hate going outside and i don't want to do exercise. There is only more physics...
Reply 12
I know i'm being such a huge ****
but

I hate going outside and i don't want to do exercise. There is only more physics...

Then I shall hunt you down and sushi you :h:
7f8ade068c8f1da87fb5e1036bd4d1cd.jpeg
Then I shall hunt you down and sushi you :h:
7f8ade068c8f1da87fb5e1036bd4d1cd.jpeg

That fits so well with your avatar xD

Spoiler

Reply 14
That fits so well with your avatar xD

Spoiler

Aww, any kind of smile will do :tongue:

smile's from me are normal rarity
true meaning of the smile given though is a very different question
Reply 16
smile's from me are normal rarity
true meaning of the smile given though is a very different question

Well, I do prefer certain smile-meanings...like :grin: rather than :perv:

you know you're sxcrewed for physics when you get 40% in a 2009 specimen paper.....
Well, I do prefer certain smile-meanings...like :grin: rather than :perv:

LOL perv face xD
Reply 19
you know you're sxcrewed for physics when you get 40% in a 2009 specimen paper.....

All I can say is to use the resources available to you. The textbook is okay, but physics videos are more interesting https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzatyx-xC-Dl_VVUVHYDYw

For past papers, are you going wrong on the maths or the wordy questions? If the answer is the maths, try using isaacphysics.org for practice. If it's the wordy stuff, go through the textbook for a better understanding, and use mark schemes to structure any notes (memorise the way they explain things).

Quick Reply

Latest