The Student Room Group

Thoughts on Overwatch...

I never knew there was such hype for this game but I got to play it and dayum :congrats:

I'm not the best judge of games (due to my liking of most games I play minus horrors and COD Ghost :puke: ) but this game is unbelievable (to meh :wink:) and has an interesting take on FPS games (lol. Felt like I went into review mode)

With that said... What are your thoughts? (whether you played it or know it or a devoted follower... I'm curious on why there was hype for it :holmes: but an educated guess would probably say #Blizzardfangirls :biggrin: )

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeyK
I never knew there was such hype for this game but I got to play it and dayum :congrats:

I'm not the best judge of games (due to my liking of most games I play minus horrors and COD Ghost :puke: ) but this game is unbelievable (to meh :wink:) and has an interesting take on FPS games (lol. Felt like I went into review mode)

With that said... What are your thoughts? (whether you played it or know it or a devoted follower... I'm curious on why there was hype for it :holmes: but an educated guess would probably say #Blizzardfangirls :biggrin: )

Since you got to play it, how are the outrageous health pools? I've been watching streams and it looks excellent but the health pool just seems nasty.. Unless it's terrible accuracy?

Can you confirm which of those are true? :smile:
Boring. Turned it off after 1 match.
Reply 3
I think it has potential, but right now it's a bit repetitive and idk, just lacks something. I'm not denying that it is fun by any means though, I rather enjoyed it, but I just got bored after a few hours tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Binary Freak
Since you got to play it, how are the outrageous health pools? I've been watching streams and it looks excellent but the health pool just seems nasty.. Unless it's terrible accuracy?

Can you confirm which of those are true? :smile:

Honestly I haven't noticed the health pools "issue"?
It's probably (it actually is) one of those games where damage can vary depending on who you are up against #medicssuckballs :rip:

And this is legit a team game.. noone can clutch win the game (yet :colone:)
Youtube videos of it look cool but I'm concerned about the replay value
I am surprised how much I like it. The beta sold me on it. I had very little interest in it before the beta. Day one.
Reply 7
The Hype started a while back, yes one of the main reasons is the fact its made by Blizzard but its a new genre of FPS, classed as Hero FPS and It is looked at moving into the competitive scene, It has very close competitors in the Hero FPS genre, which before now has only be housed by Team Fortress 2. The competitors are Battleborn and Paladins, both of which are similar, Paladins extremely so and Battleborn play more like a MOBA. Essentially, Overwatch is like TF2 yet TF2 was released in 2007, the genre hasn't had a new game in forever, especially one that wants to jump into the competitive scene.

Hey, Its 'new' who doesn't like 'new'

Plus I think the fact that its Activision Blizzard, its able to market itself pretty well
Played it for several hours. It was fun, sort of, but... it's not fun enough to bother buying. I spent most of my time wishing it had something else to it, more content, more game modes, more heroes, and less of an obsession with delivering cookie cutter, derivative gaming and high polish.

I think I'm just tired of Blizzard at this point. They haven't done anything truly amazing, truly breathtaking, since vanilla World of Warcraft. Everything since then has left me feeling very much like I've played their games somewhere before they came out. Overwatch is no different. It's like a middle ground between TF2 and Smite, but TF2 is better and Smite is far more fun.
I loved it. It seems to be reasonably balanced and it has enough content to keep me occupied for a while. A better TF2 (but I love TF2 still <3).
Reply 10
Love it, and I tend to hate fps games. A little annoying that anyone with 200 or less health can be pretty much one shot by everyone, and the fact that every play of the game is a bastion. Despite that it's still really fun and I am generally a huge fan of moba games.
I did enjoy it, but it seems likely it'll get repetitive after a month or two. Team Fortress 2 is a very similar game, and yet that seems like it had much more staying power than this.
Reply 12
It really is great. I tried to play it the most I could during the beta.. But it it worth the price they offer it??? In my opinion at least, no.

Id probably wait for a sale on it, plus I got battleborn recently and they're slightly similar.
Battleborn is more of MOBA from what I've heard, whilst Overwatch is a straight-up team based FPS. I'm actually quite interested in many aspects of Overwatch, such as the characters, the art, the story, the cinematic (which are Pixar-level gorgeous), the least of which is the game at this point, despite how fun it is. Hopefully that'll change.
Reply 14
I really like the characters in overwatch as well. But I really like the story mode in battleborn, which I wished for Overwatch to have since the story is so nice. Mostly from their short movies. You also don't get to know much about the characters unless you search it up yourself.
I did like it , It is very interesting. Hope it will out soon. lol
Very excited to play it. Resisting until after exams tho :lol:
Played it during the open weekend because I couldn't be bothered with Dark Souls / Diablo and I was very surprised how much I enjoyed it.

The sheer variety of characters and playstyles is great and I think being able to change hero and adjust to the game mid fight is its key strength, despite what some people seem to think.

Don't have the money to buy it at them moment but I think it is worth it, considering new heroes, maps, etc will all be free.
Original post by Alexion
Very excited to play it

hence your sig:lol:
Original post by ForestShadow
hence your sig:lol:

of course :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest