The Student Room Group

AS Exams - Failing is Destiny

I cant even go to sleeeep. so today my dad had a big go a me today and I don't blame him, I'm the one failing my exams. Today has just been hell, I looked at specimen papers and my word I just wanted the ground to swallow me up so I wouldn't look at that crap again.

I'm so gutted in myself, I have a physics test tomorrow and am crapping myself, because when my dad finds out I'm failing that one too, he'll probably kill me and send me to a boarding school or whatever.

Send help pls. AS exams are making me a miserable human being

Sorry that you had to read this crap xD
what grade r u currently working at?
Reply 2
Original post by KyleBroflovski
what grade r u currently working at?

Currently... no grade at all
Original post by runningcat
I cant even go to sleeeep. so today my dad had a big go a me today and I don't blame him, I'm the one failing my exams. Today has just been hell, I looked at specimen papers and my word I just wanted the ground to swallow me up so I wouldn't look at that crap again.

I'm so gutted in myself, I have a physics test tomorrow and am crapping myself, because when my dad finds out I'm failing that one too, he'll probably kill me and send me to a boarding school or whatever.

I'm not going to give you any sympathy, because it's not going to help. I was in your position two years ago, I did absolutely **** all in lessons and did no revision and I used to complain about how I was going to do awful and people would just give me sympathy.. And I did awful.

Realise that you need to work hard now in these next few weeks and do your absolute best to get some revision done. Anything is better than nothing. Try being productive and staying in college/sixth form as long as possible doing work and surround yourself with people who actually want to revise/do well until the exam period is over. Cliché, but it's your own time you're wasting. If you fail miserably and aren't allowed to stay on to A2 or even worse, not allowed to restart AS again, you have essentially wasted one year of your life and you will be one step behind all your friends if you've all got plans to go to uni etc.

It's the harsh truth, but speaking from experience, sympathy from others will only make you sink further into the rut which (for whatever reason, valid or not) you've managed to get yourself in. Pull your fingers out and start working hard. You'll be pleased if you manage to surprise yourself on results day.

pump out past papers like a b****, memorize the mark schemes, only shot you've got this late.

your best option is to retake , as revision in theses last few weeks will not change alot

I agree with the others, they've given very good advice. Can I just add something though, physics is a new A level so none of your real exams would be on this year for that subjects but mocks (for your new subjects). So I'd advise as we're late in the year, just aim for a pass. It may sound low but a pass (E grade) would allow you enter A2. So once you're in A2 you'd need to work very hard and stay focused as all your real exams would be in that year. Don't worry about predicted grades- each year people do get higher than their predicted grades.
Original post by Cherry82
Don't worry about predicted grades- each year people do get higher than their predicted grades.

^This.

As every other post I make seems to say, after doing absolutely no revision during AS, I somehow managed to scramble out with CCDU, and considering my circumstances (I was put on an attendance and work contract - basically if I missed one lesson or missed on piece of homework I'd get kicked out, no exceptions) I was given generous predicted grades of BCC.

At the end of A2 I came out with BBC (the D went up to a B) and after dropping out of a good university (but not RG) this year becuase I didn't enjoy the course or uni that much, I'm off to a Russell Group uni in September to do a course I didn't meet the requirements for.

My story might seem like BS to you, but there have been far more impressive success stories than mine. You've just got to make it work. You can sit in denial all you want about how hard your exams are - and yes, they are hard, I know, I've been there - but you're not alone. Everyone is feeling the pressure to do well and hates revising and exams. You just need to grind through it and reap the rewards at the end. Although your AS grades don't have a huge impact when applying to university, it goes without saying that if you do better this year, it will make next year a lot easier for you.
___
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by pizzanomics
I'm not going to give you any sympathy, because it's not going to help. I was in your position two years ago, I did absolutely **** all in lessons and did no revision and I used to complain about how I was going to do awful and people would just give me sympathy.. And I did awful.

Realise that you need to work hard now in these next few weeks and do your absolute best to get some revision done. Anything is better than nothing. Try being productive and staying in college/sixth form as long as possible doing work and surround yourself with people who actually want to revise/do well until the exam period is over. Cliché, but it's your own time you're wasting. If you fail miserably and aren't allowed to stay on to A2 or even worse, not allowed to restart AS again, you have essentially wasted one year of your life and you will be one step behind all your friends if you've all got plans to go to uni etc.

It's the harsh truth, but speaking from experience, sympathy from others will only make you sink further into the rut which (for whatever reason, valid or not) you've managed to get yourself in. Pull your fingers out and start working hard. You'll be pleased if you manage to surprise yourself on results day.

I appreciate this, thank you, at least you're being honest and talking from experience. people have been giving me a lot of sympathy and honestly the people who are in my class our I am with, just seem to do nothing all the time, I'm getting away from all that, wish me luck for these next few weeks, hopefully I get through this year and on to the next. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Cherry82
I agree with the others, they've given very good advice. Can I just add something though, physics is a new A level so none of your real exams would be on this year for that subjects but mocks (for your new subjects). So I'd advise as we're late in the year, just aim for a pass. It may sound low but a pass (E grade) would allow you enter A2. So once you're in A2 you'd need to work very hard and stay focused as all your real exams would be in that year. Don't worry about predicted grades- each year people do get higher than their predicted grades.

The minimum I want to get is a pass in physics and higher in my other subjects. I hear what you're saying and agree. next year I will look back on this year and remember not to leave things to the side until the very end
Reply 11
Original post by pizzanomics
^This.

As every other post I make seems to say, after doing absolutely no revision during AS, I somehow managed to scramble out with CCDU, and considering my circumstances (I was put on an attendance and work contract - basically if I missed one lesson or missed on piece of homework I'd get kicked out, no exceptions) I was given generous predicted grades of BCC.

At the end of A2 I came out with BBC (the D went up to a B) and after dropping out of a good university (but not RG) this year becuase I didn't enjoy the course or uni that much, I'm off to a Russell Group uni in September to do a course I didn't meet the requirements for.

My story might seem like BS to you, but there have been far more impressive success stories than mine. You've just got to make it work. You can sit in denial all you want about how hard your exams are - and yes, they are hard, I know, I've been there - but you're not alone. Everyone is feeling the pressure to do well and hates revising and exams. You just need to grind through it and reap the rewards at the end. Although your AS grades don't have a huge impact when applying to university, it goes without saying that if you do better this year, it will make next year a lot easier for you.

Its not BS, I get it, I'm just trying not to make this any harder than it already is. I got my exam timetable today and am going to make sure I am doing my very best until the very end
Its not BS, I get it, I'm just trying not to make this any harder than it already is. I got my exam timetable today and am going to make sure I am doing my very best until the very end

Good. Keep up that attitude too. It's only 2/3 weeks of your life, you can eaaaaaasily grind through that and just keep your head down and work. After exams are done you'll have a super lax month left doing easy work and just touching on A2 topics, then you'll have a huge summer to waste doing whatever you want. Totally worth it for 3 weeks working hard.
Reply 13
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Hey I'm in the same situation, good luck! I hope we manage to put ourselves back on track somehow.

I hear you! Good luck to you too! Positivity is key! How are you finding revision and specimen papers? The specimen papers are a load of -
Reply 14
Original post by NeverGrowUp
trust me :frown: the bio and them ones make me want to jump off a cliff. I made a timetable to cram everything in my one week for study leave. If i even mess a single day up then it's gonna be like a domino effect. :s-smilie:How are you revising?

I really hope its possible for all of us to get a good grade. As for revising, I've been going over my notes and doing questions.

standard stuff I guess, I just don't know what else to do.

Update on the specimen mock, well our teachers said that it was so horrible they aren't even going to mark us on it, they're also hoping it isn't going to be that hard in the actual exam... although, for some reason I doubt it.
Original post by algerianstar23
your best option is to retake , as revision in theses last few weeks will not change alot

If I do well, I'll be living proof that your theory is incorrect.

I really hope its possible for all of us to get a good grade. As for revising, I've been going over my notes and doing questions.

standard stuff I guess, I just don't know what else to do.

Update on the specimen mock, well our teachers said that it was so horrible they aren't even going to mark us on it, they're also hoping it isn't going to be that hard in the actual exam... although, for some reason I doubt it.

GL, remember in physics it's a 2 year course so this years grade does not matter so much. Just aim for a pass or above!
Understanding is the key for all exams. Understand why you went wrong and you won't go wrong next time. Hence past papers. Examiners reports are kinda meh, so rely on worked answers/solutions, your teacher to explain and the mark scheme.
I do a lot of maths, and you can only mess up when you don't understand what the question is asking (interpret incorrectly) or don't know the content.
You knock out two birds with one stone by past papers (revision + gives you a range of questions).
Obviously revise the theory/content first before you start because you need to have at least some idea of what to do in a question.

Also, don't use the excuse of the specimen paper was hard so grade boundaries will be low.
No this is not true.
People all over the country are in the same boat as you, and you know what they are doing?
Banging out revision. My friend who's doing has a guy who's done that specimen paper 3 times over till he got an A in it.
Don't risk it on luck- now is your time for bang out revision :P
Reply 16
Original post by pereira325
If I do well, I'll be living proof that your theory is incorrect.

GL, remember in physics it's a 2 year course so this years grade does not matter so much. Just aim for a pass or above!
Understanding is the key for all exams. Understand why you went wrong and you won't go wrong next time. Hence past papers. Examiners reports are kinda meh, so rely on worked answers/solutions, your teacher to explain and the mark scheme.
I do a lot of maths, and you can only mess up when you don't understand what the question is asking (interpret incorrectly) or don't know the content.
You knock out two birds with one stone by past papers (revision + gives you a range of questions).
Obviously revise the theory/content first before you start because you need to have at least some idea of what to do in a question.

Also, don't use the excuse of the specimen paper was hard so grade boundaries will be low.
No this is not true.
People all over the country are in the same boat as you, and you know what they are doing?
Banging out revision. My friend who's doing has a guy who's done that specimen paper 3 times over till he got an A in it.
Don't risk it on luck- now is your time for bang out revision :P

It's true what you're saying. I don't rely on luck, but am just hoping that these weeks actually pay off. I am actually revising as much as I can with whatever I can. I know that people are in the same boat as me but, I need to get the best of my ability, which will probably be shown in these last 2 weeks. Hopefully we all do well!
It's true what you're saying. I don't rely on luck, but am just hoping that these weeks actually pay off. I am actually revising as much as I can with whatever I can. I know that people are in the same boat as me but, I need to get the best of my ability, which will probably be shown in these last 2 weeks. Hopefully we all do well!

These weeks definately will. If that doesn't guarantee you good grades, then idk what does :P

Quick Reply

Latest