The Student Room Group

New Mayor of London shows most people don't support the racist agenda

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daimonos
Islam is a race because when most people think of a muslim they imagine someone of a certain race.

And Christianity is a race, because when most people think of a Christian they think of a white person :rolleyes:
Original post by TheTechN1304
And Christianity is a race, because when most people think of a Christian they think of a white person :rolleyes:

No.
Khan's vote is simply in line with general support for Labour in London.

Boris was able to win because he was a celebrity candidate who a lot of people were willing to vote for who would not have voted for any other Conservative candidate. The Tories probably won't be able to repeat that performance.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
A big majority of Londoners voted for a Muslim Mayor of London. Far, far more than just the Muslims living in London.

It's no wonder that we are seeing a rash of xenophobic and racist-oriented UKIP-style threads on TSR this morning, as the far right go into shock that a clear majority of people don't share their views, won't react to their dog whistle politics and believe that a tolerant, multiracial London is not just possible but a current reality.

Will the right wing headbangers please take a lesson from this and stop trying to fill TSR with hate messages every morning? Pretty please?

If that's the case, we should get rid of the word "Islamophobic" (at least in London), because it seems the majority of us do not see Islam/Muslims in a negative light.

I hope we didn't vote for Sadiq Khan because he's Muslim though, I hope we voted him in because he can do the job right...
Original post by Daimonos
No.

Really? So if you ask a British person for the image of a 'typical Christian' they're going to tell you a Chinese person are they? Your argument is invalid.
Of course it's not a race. Sadly that doesn't stop the racists from assuming it is.

The only people who refer to Islam as a race are Muslims themselves.

Everyone decent knows that Islam is a religion/cult.
Original post by Dodgypirate
The only people who refer to Islam as a race are Muslims themselves.
Surely not? Muslims believe that Islam is and ought to be the world religion - the universal belief of everyone, not just some particular group.

Considering Islam to be a race comes from white leftists who half understand Islam but know for sure that it is a jolly good thing.
Original post by Tempest II
I don't really think it's a surprise that the Labour Party candidate won. It took Boris Johnson, arguably the Conservative's most popular (if not popular then most recognisable) politician to gain control of the London Mayor job off of Ken Livingston who once again recently showed how much of a muppet he is. I think there's plenty of people in London who naturally vote Labour regardless as people in urban areas tend to do & it's no secret that Labour do better among most ethnic minority groups.

There is a talent issue here. The Conservatives struggle to attract politicians who want to be Mayor of London.

Archer was the Conservatives' original choice in 2000 before his fall. At that point he was a serious political player though with a slightly similar air of the absurd to Boris. He was replaced by "Slasher" Norris who was widely seen as a political joke though with a genuine interest in transport. Despite realising that Norris just wasn't up to it, the Conservatives just couldn't find anyone better in 2004.

By 2008 the Tories were desperate for a big name and the roll call of who turned them down was far more distinguished:- John Major, Greg Dyke, Commission of the Met John Stevens. Fortunately Boris came to their rescue.

Again look at the Labour candidates for 2016:- one cabinet minister Jowell, two junior ministers Khan and Lammy, one shadow cabinet member Abbott, another MP Gareth Thomas and railway campaigner and author Christian Woolmer.

Then look at the Tories: Sol Campbell (a name but no relevant experience), Ivan Massow (perhaps the pick of a poor bunch), 1 MEP, 1 backbench MP (Zac) and three councillors.
Original post by Observatory
Surely not? Muslims believe that Islam is and ought to be the world religion - the universal belief of everyone, not just some particular group.

Considering Islam to be a race comes from white leftists who half understand Islam but know for sure that it is a jolly good thing.

So it's a cult then.
Not from London but glad that Sadiq Khan won, Now I hope he stops the social cleansing of poor people in London. Just shows that the majority of the people of London arent racist.
Khan's vote is simply in line with general support for Labour in London.

Boris was able to win because he was a celebrity candidate who a lot of people were willing to vote for who would not have voted for any other Conservative candidate. The Tories probably won't be able to repeat that performance.

In a race of minnows, Khan was the biggest fish.
Original post by nulli tertius
In a race of minnows, Khan was the biggest fish.

Maybe, but surely not by much. Sadiq Khan may have been a junior minister but Zac Goldsmith is also much more of a force in the Tory party than simply describing him as a backbencher would suggest.

He was close to the Cameron project from an early stage. He is also young and personable. He is also much more of a sop to London's actual ideology than Boris was, being from the far left of the Tories.

For the Tories to win in London their candidate has to be considerably more appealing to floating voters than his opponent. That is not necessarily the same as being a political big fish - Cameron or Osborne would surely also have lost to Khan.
Maybe, but surely not by much. Sadiq Khan may have been a junior minister but Zac Goldsmith is also much more of a force in the Tory party than simply describing him as a backbencher would suggest.

He was close to the Cameron project from an early stage. He is also young and personable. He is also much more of a sop to London's actual ideology than Boris was, being from the far left of the Tories.

For the Tories to win in London their candidate has to be considerably more appealing to floating voters than his opponent. That is not necessarily the same as being a political big fish - Cameron or Osborne would surely also have lost to Khan.

Obviously I am not a Londoner, but he was very low down in my consciousness. I knew of his existence (but I suspect that was as Jimmy and Annabel's less famous child). I am not convinced I knew he was an MP before he stood and I am not convinced I would have said he was a Tory. I would have lumped him with Jonathan Porritt and Matt Ridley as someone with a bee in his bonnet about the environment.

The Tories might have won with Baroness Brady
(edited 7 years ago)
Sadiq Khan ran an excellent campaign with a very attractive policy. London has always been a labour stronghold and ppl voted conservative because Boris Johnson was a very appealing man.

On the other hand Zac Goldsmiths smear campaign failed tremendously and people saw through his lies and the lies Rupert Merdoch's establishment was feeding them. People who voted Zac basically thought everyone was bad and voted for the moderate conservative.
OP still struggles to grasp that Islam isn't a race
Original post by nulli tertius
There is a talent issue here. The Conservatives struggle to attract politicians who want to be Mayor of London.

Archer was the Conservatives' original choice in 2000 before his fall. At that point he was a serious political player though with a slightly similar air of the absurd to Boris. He was replaced by "Slasher" Norris who was widely seen as a political joke though with a genuine interest in transport. Despite realising that Norris just wasn't up to it, the Conservatives just couldn't find anyone better in 2004.

By 2008 the Tories were desperate for a big name and the roll call of who turned them down was far more distinguished:- John Major, Greg Dyke, Commission of the Met John Stevens. Fortunately Boris came to their rescue.

Again look at the Labour candidates for 2016:- one cabinet minister Jowell, two junior ministers Khan and Lammy, one shadow cabinet member Abbott, another MP Gareth Thomas and railway campaigner and author Christian Woolmer.

Then look at the Tories: Sol Campbell (a name but no relevant experience), Ivan Massow (perhaps the pick of a poor bunch), 1 MEP, 1 backbench MP (Zac) and three councillors.

I notice Ken didn't get a mention in your piece - is he a Name We Do Not Mention at the nulli tertius residence? :giggle:

Norris definitely did have an interest in transportation, for example, right after the worst rail crash in living memory which was later proven to be the fault of his company, he blamed it publicly on sabotage, something that existed only in his head. Sounds ideal Tory material!

Anyway, Boris proved that a Tory can win the London Mayor role if he makes an effort to identify with ordinary people and has a personality. Most politicians on both sides lack the charisma of Ken and Boris in their respective heydays.
Original post by lolatmaths
London has always been a labour stronghold

Which is why the Tories ran the GLC from 1967 to 1973 and from 1977 to 1981.
Original post by VV Cephei A
OP still struggles to grasp that Islam isn't a race

Sigh. Try reading the thread? I didn't say "Islam is a race". My point is that racists are happy to get on board with Islam-bashing. To organisations like the EDL, Islam may as well be a race, since they approach it the same way. In the tabloids, Muslim-hating has clearly become another racism. To say it isn't a race is now a mere technicality, not a real thing.
Reply 98
A big majority of Londoners voted for a Muslim Mayor of London. Far, far more than just the Muslims living in London.

It's no wonder that we are seeing a rash of xenophobic and racist-oriented UKIP-style threads on TSR this morning, as the far right go into shock that a clear majority of people don't share their views, won't react to their dog whistle politics and believe that a tolerant, multiracial London is not just possible but a current reality.

Will the right wing headbangers please take a lesson from this and stop trying to fill TSR with hate messages every morning? Pretty please?

It's good news for everyone!
I'm happy about it.
I notice Ken didn't get a mention in your piece - is he a Name We Do Not Mention at the nulli tertius residence? :giggle:

I don't think the Tories ever considered inviting Livingstone to stand for them, albeit that over the years he must have been one of the Conservative Party's greatest electoral assets and even now he seems like the gift that keeps on giving.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending