The Student Room Group

Help with drinking?

Hi guys,

So I'm a 17 year old girl with no drinking experience. Last night I went out with some friends to the pub with the intention of getting drunk. I don't really know what "a lot" of alcohol is considered to be, but I feel I drank a substantial amount. Yet I only got tipsy? Or at least what I think to be tipsy - I could walk in a straight line, I was still very aware and in control and wasn't slurring or anything. I just felt a little bit lighter and more carefree, and a bit less stable when I got up to go to the toilet etc. I thought seeing as it was my first time drinking it wouldn't take much?

In a space of about 5 hours I drank:

4 glasses of prosecco
Vodka and coke single
Vodka and coke double
Vodka and coke double
2 pints cider
Vodka and coke double
Vodka and coke single
Jack Daniels and coke single

Does anyone know how many units this is?

Woke up this morning and feel absolutely fine! I'm just concerned because I want to go out and have fun but I don't want to ruin my body by having to drink a ridiculous amount to get drunk.

Any comments, knowledge of advice would be much appreciated!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Obviously you're not a complete lightweight, but its not a huge amount either. Especially as it was over the period of 5 hours, thats a long time for your body to be breaking down the alcohol.

I wouldn't worry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LetsLoseOurMinds
Hi guys,

So I'm a 17 year old girl with no drinking experience. Last night I went out with some friends to the pub with the intention of getting drunk. I don't really know what "a lot" of alcohol is considered to be, but I feel I drank a substantial amount. Yet I only got tipsy? Or at least what I think to be tipsy - I could walk in a straight line, I was still very aware and in control and wasn't slurring or anything. I just felt a little bit lighter and more carefree, and a bit less stable when I got up to go to the toilet etc. I thought seeing as it was my first time drinking it wouldn't take much?

In a space of about 5 hours I drank:

4 glasses of prosecco
Vodka and coke single
Vodka and coke double
Vodka and coke double
2 pints cider
Vodka and coke double
Vodka and coke single
Jack Daniels and coke single

Does anyone know how many units this is?

Woke up this morning and feel absolutely fine! I'm just concerned because I want to go out and have fun but I don't want to ruin my body by having to drink a ridiculous amount to get drunk.

Any comments, knowledge of advice would be much appreciated!!

18 units in five hours so allowing for five to break down still 13 units you can handle your drink
on my birthday back when i worked in a local restaurant/cocktail bar i drank 45 units in around 3 hours and was totally unaffected

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jamesthehustler
18 units in five hours so allowing for five to break down still 13 units you can handle your drink
on my birthday back when i worked in a local restaurant/cocktail bar i drank 50 units in around 3 hours and was totally unaffected

Unaffected after the equivalent of 21 pints? 7 pints an hour? 50 measures of spirit?

I think someone might be slightly exaggerating.
Original post by pjm600
Unaffected after the equivalent of 21 pints? 7 pints an hour? 50 measures of spirit?

I think someone might be slightly exaggerating.

spirits and no the power of eating a lot first, sweating- a lot and being of an elite history of hardcore drinkers on both sides of the family tree give me the ability to drink alot with no affect
I'd just really like to know how I can get drunk without drinking too much and damaging my body, and without spending too much money.
I'd just really like to know how I can get drunk without drinking too much and damaging my body, and without spending too much money.

That's not really how it works I'm afraid.
Original post by jamesthehustler
spirits and no the power of eating a lot first, sweating- a lot and being of an elite history of hardcore drinkers on both sides of the family tree give me the ability to drink alot with no affect

I wouldn't say I'm quite your standard but I can certainly out-drink my 6'4" boyfriend! It can get annoying though..

If you're actually wanting to get drunk you basically have to avoid pints, singles and weaker shots and stay on the strong stuff which gets boring and expensive!

I've been known to order doubles and a couple of shots and pour them in to no avail :frown:

To get drunk you have to drink the higher percentage stuff. To avoid damaging your body, you have to drink small amounts of the low percentage stuff. To keep it cheap, you either stick to soft drinks in bars or buy all your alcohol and mixers from the supermarket and drink before you get to the bars so that you're just keeping it topped up later on.

Unfortunately there is no balance! If you want to get drunk, you will spend lots of money, and you will damage your body. Though "damage" doesn't mean much because everyone goes through a heavy drinking stage at about 18-25, and as long as it just doesn't continue past that you won't see it cause any visible damage.
Reply 9
I'd say have fun, but take it easy until you know your limits, make sure you've got mates around you too to look after you as you are a girl!

How to get drunk without drinking too much?! You do realise the actual definition of drunk is "drinking too much" in the past tense?

Go to a well managed bar, they'll stop serving you at the point where you're deemed to be visibly "drunk".
Reply 11
Original post by carrotstar
Though "damage" doesn't mean much because everyone goes through a heavy drinking stage at about 18-25, and as long as it just doesn't continue past that you won't see it cause any visible damage.

That's bad advice. I understand that generally speaking people drink 'too much' and without long term effects in our current age bracket. However that it a general term to say, if you binge drink daily between those ages for example you would no doubt have long term health issues. Moderation to an extent is the key.

Quick Reply

Latest