The Student Room Group

Norman Finkelstein defends Naz Shah's reposting of his meme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
I've read religious books and have liked them before, but at the same time, I am still an atheist. Am I endorsing religion? I don't think I am, rather I am attempting to understand the argument for the other side. I think it important we always challenge our views, especially on controversial topics

Appreciating the literature is fine, I've heard the King James Bible is finely written, but saying you liked the content is an endorsement of it and the ideas behind it.

Example, you are a teacher marking a student's essay, perhaps it's a racist essay, but it meets the literary requirements for an A. You appreciate that and give it a good grade, it's not the same thing as saying you liked it.

You could also like to be a contrarian, devils advocate, if only to promote discussion. It doesn't mean you have to like the positions it forces you to take. To like it, to openly praise the position you have taken, is to endorse it.
Original post by anarchism101
Raul Hilberg, on the other hand, praised the book and said that he "totally agree[d] with Finkelstein's breakthrough". In later interviews, he continued to hold that Finkelstein was "one hundred percent correct" with regard to his claims about Swiss and German banks, and "I would say that his place in the whole history of writing history is assured, and that those who in the end are proven right triumph, and he will be among those who will have triumphed, albeit, it so seems, at great cost."

Source?
Reply 22
Finkelstein is spot-on, as usual, especially with this: "What are they doing? Don’t they have any respect for the dead? All these desiccated Labour apparatchiks, dragging the Nazi holocaust through the mud for the sake of their petty jostling for power and position. Have they no shame?"
Original post by the bear
you must not use the W word :spank:

these people's ideas have their own validity which may not be the same as yours

:facepalm2:

No they don't. Makes as much sense as space lizards.
Original post by anarchism101
One step ahead of me, it seems :wink:

I was going to make a thread but it is very hard and tedious to talk about Israel/Zionism/anti-Semitism without being accused of either being antisemetic or being in cahoots with the Jewish conspiracy :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Norman Finkelstein's works are those only bought into by people who were already anti-Semitic and want to be able to say to people "see! even this Jewboy agrees with me, so you can't say nuffin'!"
Original post by KimKallstrom
Norman Finkelstein's works are those only bought into by people who were already anti-Semitic

Which is precisely why various high profile and well regarded academics have praised his work.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by admonit
Source?

Not sure exactly where the original first quote was, but it's on the back cover blurb of The Holocaust Industry. The other two are here:
http://www.democracynow.org/2007/5/9/it_takes_an_enormous_amount_of
http://www.logosjournal.com/issue_6.1-2/hilberg.htm
Original post by viddy9
Finkelstein is spot-on, as usual, especially with this: "What are they doing? Don’t they have any respect for the dead? All these desiccated Labour apparatchiks, dragging the Nazi holocaust through the mud for the sake of their petty jostling for power and position. Have they no shame?"

Absolutely. As he's pointed out, the memory and representation of the Holocaust within Israeli/Zionist narratives simultaneously both raises it up to a unique incomparable event and brings it up for incredibly minor events.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending