The Student Room Group

Why are the left overly joyed with the fact we have a Muslim mayor?

Firstly, I knew he was going to win, it was guaranteed from the start, so I have no problem with the left celebrating a "left winger" winning, but that's not the case.

They are specifically celebrating that he as a "Muslim" won, they actually are turning his religion into the main story.

This forum is the best example but take social media, left wingers all over the country are celebrating the fact we have a Muslim mayor, they highlight the fact he is Muslim in particular. Left wingers are actually saying this is a win for Islam, what does that have to do with anything.

Why are the left more happy a Muslim left winger won, than any other type of left winger? That is the main question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is there a special connection between the left and Islam that I am missing?
Original post by Omen96
Is there a special connection between the left and Islam that I am missing?

No, but they're celebrating integration. He is the first Muslim mayor. Just as headlines hit worldwide when the first black president was elected and all of the headlines commented on his race. There is no correlation between the left and Islam. They're using it as a political ploy for integration as it highlights and contrasts with the opposing Tory views of inherent segregation - with the whole immigration stance from right wingers.

You're not missing any link and any links there may be will be tenuous and misconstrued to support opposing parties evidence of 'radicalisation' associated with Islam.

It was a media and political ploy, basically. Political to show the differences between labour and tories. Media because if they can't focus on something which is wholly seen as negative, then they can't spark a controversy and ultimately won't sell newspapers.

How bland does 'new mayor of London elected' next to 'first ever Muslim mayor of London elected despite claims of links to terrorism' ?

It's a vice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
A lot of left-wing people are very preoccupied with issues of discrimination, and like to stick up for minorities in general. Muslims are very "in" as a minority to stick up for because obviously they get a lot of flack for the actions of a few of them.
Reply 4
yes there is a connection between the left and Muslims i know someone who is a lefty and a atheist and claims that cologne and problems alike are false and just government propaganda deluded fool he is .
The win for Islam thing is because of the stigma around the religion; its apparent association to terrorism. Khan said 'choosing hope over fear,' and they take the fact he won that people are not blindly being led by the media and doctrinarians and believing the crap that they spout. They are a party that encourage diversity and integration so they're simply playing the win to their advantages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
As a Muslim, i dont get is why people have to mention Islam with people in the limelight. You wouldnt mention religion if he was a christian or jew so why mention if he is muslim. Next thing you know, if he fails, people will be saying he failed London for the victory of islam or some balony like that. Its ridiculous. Only small minded people think like that. Either way, I dont care if he is mayor or not. Mayoral roles nowadays are redundant, because we all know mayors are small fish in the hiarchy of the government
Reply 7
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
A lot of left-wing people are very preoccupied with issues of discrimination, and like to stick up for minorities in general. Muslims are very "in" as a minority to stick up for because obviously they get a lot of flack for the actions of a few of them.

Muslims are only a minority in Europe its not like there a world minority look at India for example white people are the true world minority in terms of numbers yet left wing people don't care about that fact .
Reply 8
Original post by mstone12
yes there is a connection between the left and Muslims i know someone who is a lefty and a atheist and claims that cologne and problems alike are false and just government propaganda deluded fool he is .

Why does that not surprise me?
Reply 9
Original post by GiyasU
As a Muslim, i dont get is why people have to mention Islam with people in the limelight. You wouldnt mention religion if he was a christian or jew so why mention if he is muslim. Next thing you know, if he fails, people will be saying he failed London for the victory of islam or some balony like that. Its ridiculous. Only small minded people think like that. Either way, I dont care if he is mayor or not. Mayoral roles nowadays are redundant, because we all know mayors are small fish in the hiarchy of the government

I've been saying that for weeks on this forum. London mayor is merely a face for a city owned predominately by the international elitist community and a city with its own life force. You can't control the affairs of London, it changes according to current and global affairs, it's too big now.

But the point is, why are the left emphasising the victory because he is Muslim? I only saw on Twitter today a left winger saying "For years we have needed a Muslim Mayor, this should have happened a decade ago", what does that even mean?
Reply 10
Original post by Omen96
I've been saying that for weeks on this forum. London mayor is merely a face for a city owned predominately by the international elitist community and a city with its own life force. You can't control the affairs of London, it changes according to current and global affairs, it's too big now.

But the point is, why are the left emphasising the victory because he is Muslim? I only saw on Twitter today a left winger saying "For years we have needed a Muslim Mayor, this should have happened a decade ago", what does that even mean?

Brother, I do not know myself. The fact of the matter is, that in now time, media outlets will play on the fact on that he is a muslim if and when he makes bad decisions. It is all brick work for creating negative PR, thats the sad truth of the world we live in.
Reply 11
Original post by GiyasU
Brother, I do not know myself. The fact of the matter is, that in now time, media outlets will play on the fact on that he is a muslim if and when he makes bad decisions. It is all brick work for creating negative PR, thats the sad truth of the world we live in.

Expected from media undoubtedly but many left wingers are making personal opinions on the matter, that's the problem
Reply 12
Muslims are only a minority in Europe its not like there a world minority look at India for example.

LMFAO
Muslims ARE a minority in India. They make up about 15% of the population :lol:
Mr Cameron said at the GG2 Leadership Awards sponsored by the Daily Mail: ‘One day I want to hear that title “Prime Minister” followed by a British Asian name.

‘In Britain today there are still too few ethnic minorities in top positions. Let us think big about what Britons of all backgrounds can achieve. When I hear “sir”, “your honour” or “right honourable”, I want them to be followed by a British Asian name.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2822894/David-Cameron-says-wants-Britain-s-Asian-PM-lifetime-warns-lack-diversity-holding-country-back.html
Muslims are only a minority in Europe its not like there a world minority look at India for example white people are the true world minority in terms of numbers yet left wing people don't care about that fact .

White people are the real minority in terms of numbers...

...but... still manage to inspire fear and hatred, colonised the f*ck out of the world with their inherent superiority, forced a race they deemed as 'inferior ' because of the colour of the skin to participate in forced labour and mutilated/severely abused the people they had a 'power' over, segregated POC so insanely, make up most of the worlds governing body, think they have a right to interfere in the business of countries that they have no affiliations with...

But white people are still a minority 'in terms of numbers' despite the profound effect they've had on the world... Ok then.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462636600.082426.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Clintbarton
No, but they're celebrating integration. He is the first Muslim mayor.

He is also the first mayor with a Pakistani ancestry and nobody mentions that, whilst I think it is more relevant.
Original post by Josb
He is also the first mayor with a Pakistani ancestry and nobody mentions that, whilst I think it is more relevant.

They stopped (well, not stopped, but do it less frequently now) demonising Pakistan in the media when they had another reason - Islam - to blame.

It's nothing to do with relevance in any modicum of the sense. It is literally what will sell for their insipid newspaper articles.

Khan doesn't shy away from it in his speeches though. If the media don't represent him as a Pakistani, he sure as hell knows how to do it himself. The amount of times he says 'the son of a Pakistani bus driver' is sure to get the message across. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omen96
Firstly, I knew he was going to win, it was guaranteed from the start, so I have no problem with the left celebrating a "left winger" winning, but that's not the case.

They are specifically celebrating that he as a "Muslim" won, they actually are turning his religion into the main story.

This forum is the best example but take social media, left wingers all over the country are celebrating the fact we have a Muslim mayor, they highlight the fact he is Muslim in particular. Left wingers are actually saying this is a win for Islam, what does that have to do with anything.

Why are the left more happy a Muslim left winger won, than any other type of left winger? That is the main question

They have a special relationship

Why do people who insult using "leftie" and "deluded fool" always have terrible grammar? :colone:
Reply 19
Original post by Clintbarton

Khan doesn't shy away from it in his speeches though. If the media don't represent him as a Pakistani, he sure as hell knows how to do it himself. The amount of times he says 'the son of a Pakistani bus driver' is sure to get the message across. :smile:

Precisely, he mostly says that he is "the son of a Pakistani bus driver", so I don't get why media and people people say he's Muslim above all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending