The Student Room Group

Are these results good enough for medicine

Hello guys,

this is my first post so bare with me :smile:

Basically I am in year 11 and as every other school I got my mock exam results a couple days ago.
The most weird thing is my results have been the same since the year 10 mock exams. I know wth but yes these results have been the same and I am 95% sure these are going to be my results in August this year. The results are:
Mathematics A
English literature A*
English language A*
Science double A,A
Geography A*
History A*
Business study A
Punjabi A*

So are these results good enough to study Medicine and become a cardiothoracic surgeon. Also what should I study in sixth form and where is the best university to apply.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nihang
Hello guys,

this is my first post so bare with me :smile:

Basically I am in year 11 and as every other school I got my mock exam results a couple days ago.
The most weird thing is my results have been the same since the year 10 mock exams. I know wth but yes these results have been the same and I am 95% sure these are going to be my results in August this year. The results are:
Mathematics A
English literature A*
English language A*
Science double A,A
Geography A*
History A*
Business study A
Punjabi A*

So are these results good enough to study Medicine and become a cardiothoracic surgeon. Also what should I study in sixth form and where is the best university to apply.

Thanks

These are excellent grades WELL DONE!!!! The only improvement I would make, is to increase science and maths to an A*

Almost all medical schools require you to do Biology and Chemistry and either maths or physics (or both) at A-Level. :smile:

Original post by surina16
No. Terrible results. You should give up on your dream right now and start applying for Burger King midnight shifts.

:rolleyes: Don't be mean :spank:
Reply 2
Original post by homeland.lsw
These are excellent grades WELL DONE!!!! The only improvement I would make, is to increase science and maths to an A*

Almost all medical schools require you to do Biology and Chemistry and either maths or physics (or both) at A-Level. :smile:

Finally some nice people :smile: thanks a lot
Lots of info here about Applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

PS. Just 'grades' are not enough. You also need to have the right work experience and be able to write a sensible Personal Statement. And then, if you get one, pass the interview.

Sorry, can't help it :colondollar:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Oblivion99
punjabi? OMG HAHAHAAH, good work

Yh lol they gave us the opurtunity to study it and my parents insisted I chose it as I already know how to read, speak and write it :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of info here about Applying for Medicine : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

PS. Just 'grades' are not enough. You also need to have the right work experience and be able to write a sensible Personal Statement. And then, if you get one, pass the interview.

Thanks a lot that page is very informative
Reply 7
Sorry, can't help it :colondollar:

Spoiler

Really I didn't know that I always thought you had to do all the sciences and maths at a level for every uni
Original post by Nihang
Really I didn't know that I always thought you had to do all the sciences and maths at a level for every uni

Nope not at all! :smile:
Bio + chem + other (can be either 1 or 2 subjects due to reforms)
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
The fact you didn't pick up the obvious sarcasm is quite worrying. And no, you don't need maths/physics.

Maybe you didn't get the eye roll emoji...it's ok :console:

And for the majority of courses and unis I've read about and asked about, it is useful to have either maths or physics...:h:
Reply 10
Nope not at all! :smile:
Bio + chem + other (can be either 1 or 2 subjects due to reforms)

Thanks for the info

And for the majority of courses and unis I've read about and asked about, it is useful to have either maths or physics...:h:

Did not see that, sorry about that.
I would agree with you that Maths is potentially useful but not mandatory, but I don't think Physics does any use. I would advice personally Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and something varied (a language would be good)

You really don't need maths or physics (as long as you have biology and chemistry) apart from at Cambridge.
They are great results.
They require both biology and chemistry a level.

They like maths but you can do another subject you enjoy. A language is always a bonus too.
Start revising now
Do lots of work experience and extracurricular don't get too stressed out but do what you love

As for uni you have time to look around during AS year but all medical schools are very good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
You really don't need maths or physics (as long as you have biology and chemistry) apart from at Cambridge.

I see, well I spoke to a Cambridge admissions tutor so that's where I was getting most of my info from :smile:, which must explain why you have said that.....:confused:
:getmecoat:
I see, well I spoke to a Cambridge admissions tutor so that's where I was getting most of my info from :smile:

And Cambridge is the only exception to the rule. Nowhere else cares about maths.
Original post by ForestCat
And Cambridge is the only exception to the rule. Nowhere else cares about maths.

Right in the feels :frown:
Original post by Nihang

Those results are amazing, you can do whatever you want lol

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by TheALevelStudent
Those results are amazing, you can do whatever you want lol

Spoiler

Akaaalo faujo Budha dal rakba jathedar baba joginder Singh wbu very happy to see another fauj on here
Original post by Nihang
Akaaalo faujo Budha dal rakba jathedar baba joginder Singh wbu very happy to see another fauj on here

Gur bar akaaaaluhhhhh. I had a strong nihang influence when i first came into sikhi, but i wouldnt affiliate myself with any jathebandi now.
I would say I was closest to Bidhchand dal and AKJ, purely because the singhs i grew up with have strong links to them.
Mad respect for Buddha Dal though still.

Same aha, very happy.

Quick Reply

Latest