The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
They are. Again, wrong thread.

Again, they're not and the logical incompatibility has been explained. Simply saying they are doesn't mean they are.
Original post by BubbleBoobies
surely free will implies self-determinism. but if god already knows the outcome, then our actions are determined not by ourselves but by the fate of the universe which god has supposedly created, with a plan in mind. so either we *do* have free will and god *doesn't* have a divine plan or omniscience, or we don't, and he does. it wouldn't make sense otherwise. I'm not even trying to create a false-dichotomy; how can a god give us free will if he knows what we will do with it? if he has knowledge of future consequences, how is that "knowledge" if they may or may not happen via our own free will to determine these outcomes ourselves? it doesn't mak sense to think that god is testing us if he is all knowing

+hijabs are oppressive and patriarchal

1/10 Go troll another question.
Wasabis,
In hijabis,
Are walking down the stairs...
Hi, I'm a proud Muslim and don't wear hiqab. Many people ask why I don't wear a hiqab (aka non-muslims) but it is not required to wear a hiqab in the Qur'an. What is required is to be modest and to love Allah.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

First of all, I'd like to say this thread is very hard to make for me since I've always portrayed myself as a 'proud' Muslim. I have been feeling depressed for the past, say, 4 years of my life. I'm turning 18 in the summer, and I have never felt so ugly, so depressed, so not my self. Imagine realising that you're not going to be able to do what you want in life... that you're living just to wait for death. That is how I feel. I feel completely trapped.

My parents are conservative, very strict, very scary. My father moreso than my mother. My extended family are like that as well, you do one thing that they don't like and you're put under fire by the whole ****ing country. I have aunts and uncles here as well, and if I were to take it off all Hell would break loose.

I just can't try and find justifications for some of the things in Islam. Like this verse in the Quran:
"Men are (meant to be righteous and kind) guardians of women because God has favored some more than others and because they (i.e. men) spend out of their wealth. (In their turn) righteous women are (meant to be) devoted and to guard what God has (willed to be) guarded even though out of sight (of the husband). As for those (women) on whose part you fear ill-will and nasty conduct, admonish them (first), (next) separate them in beds (and last) beat them. But if they obey you, then seek nothing against them. Behold, God is most high and great." (4:34)
This verse is in the Quran, it is not a hadith so you can say "oh that's just someone talking ****", it is the unadulterated word of God Himself.

I just don't see a reason for covering my hair, I can be modest in my thoughts, I can be modest without a hijab. I love God and I hope he forgives me but I just don't understand why? If He made me the way I am and He loves me, why does He order men to rinse their hands from my touch?
"And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" (5:6) Am I created dirty?

I just don't see how this could be 'misinterpreted'. And it's not even just Islam itself, it is the Muslim community. The backwards thinking, the hypocrisy, the oppression hidden behind smiles and empty arguments to trick yourself into believing it's the right thing to do. I don't want to lie to myself, and to God and to my family and say I want to represent this and I believe in this and it makes me happy. It doesn't. I am depressed. I feel like ****. I feel like I am losing purpose. I feel like my dreams are too far to reach.

And I can't ignore it any more. It's been 4 years of constant **** and right now I am itching in my own skin. I am suffering so much and I know it might never end. Because I would be ridiculed and looked down upon and disowned by my own community/ family, nobody would want to marry me, I'm going to be pointed at my mothers who tell their children not to be like me. People are going to scowl in disgust when they hear my name. And I am a person who craves validation. If someone doesn't like me, I go out of my way to make them like me, so that would absolutely destroy me.

Funny how a cloth on your head can do that to ya huh? But I don't know how to live my life the way I want and not to hurt or be hurt by those I love and those I call "family". I just need help. I don't need someone telling me I will go to Hell. God is merciful and will forgive my sins. You are not God.

Any words of reassurance? Advice? Anything?

Well , I will be honest I wasn't able to read everything u wrote cuz I am so lazy xD
But I am a Hijabi too and I sometimes go through this phase
Don't worry its super normal
Just don't take it to depression
And before I explain how you should go through there is a quote I read once and I really think it could help anyone reading it : If you feel like giving up on something , think y did u do it on the first place .
Why did you first wear it ?
- If I was being asked this question , I would say I wore it cuz I thought I am mature now and I should be a more responsible muslim . It started as an experiment and never got to take it off since then .
If u have a similar reason , then I guess its easy for u to get in to loving it and reverse the process . but if ur reason is cuz I was forced to do so by my parents or whoever forced u to then u'll have to get exploring hijab .
- What should I do if it was the first reason ?
Simple as drinking water , open YouTube search for all Hijab tutorials and all advantages of being a hijabi which are really too much out there . You might also go through social experiments and stuff like that which makes it easier for u to accept the idea that hijab isn't actually that bad . Then go get ur scarves and plan that u need to make it look better by inventing new type of hijab which follows all the rules of islam and at the same time stylish and suits u . Don't worry , u r going to fail several time and might end up searching on YouTube and even shopping for ready made ones . At the end u already set a goal which will make it easier to u to begin liking it . Ik at this point u'll still want to show off ur beauty , I am still young wat the hell am I doing ? well , this is devil work but its okay . Tend to hangout to places wer ladies only are allowed in there and dress up the way u would dress up if u just took ur hijab off . u might also invite them to home or go shopping together then go back home trying all ur outfits .
This will get u in to enjoying ur life and sticking to ur hijab at the same time

- What if it was the second reason ?
Then start reading about what is hijab and y do we wear it . What r the scientific advantages ? wat are the social advantages ? wat r the advantages of wearing it in general other than looking religious and that's it
then u can go through all the procedures above

-What u should actually not do during this phase ?
Stay away from searching for the disadvantages cuz u already know loads of them to put u in this phase . U can also try to watch music videos and movies that makes u feel like u really wanna take it off asap .

I hope this really help
May god bless you
Original post by student.feed
1/10 Go troll another question.

how am I trolling? what, just for disagreeing? piss off
If Allah was going to punish you with eternity in hell, I wouldn't want to be a muslim. Take it off if your not happy with it.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello!

First of all, I'd like to say this thread is very hard to make for me since I've always portrayed myself as a 'proud' Muslim. I have been feeling depressed for the past, say, 4 years of my life. I'm turning 18 in the summer, and I have never felt so ugly, so depressed, so not my self. Imagine realising that you're not going to be able to do what you want in life... that you're living just to wait for death. That is how I feel. I feel completely trapped.

My parents are conservative, very strict, very scary. My father moreso than my mother. My extended family are like that as well, you do one thing that they don't like and you're put under fire by the whole ****ing country. I have aunts and uncles here as well, and if I were to take it off all Hell would break loose.

I just can't try and find justifications for some of the things in Islam. Like this verse in the Quran:
"Men are (meant to be righteous and kind) guardians of women because God has favored some more than others and because they (i.e. men) spend out of their wealth. (In their turn) righteous women are (meant to be) devoted and to guard what God has (willed to be) guarded even though out of sight (of the husband). As for those (women) on whose part you fear ill-will and nasty conduct, admonish them (first), (next) separate them in beds (and last) beat them. But if they obey you, then seek nothing against them. Behold, God is most high and great." (4:34)
This verse is in the Quran, it is not a hadith so you can say "oh that's just someone talking ****", it is the unadulterated word of God Himself.

I just don't see a reason for covering my hair, I can be modest in my thoughts, I can be modest without a hijab. I love God and I hope he forgives me but I just don't understand why? If He made me the way I am and He loves me, why does He order men to rinse their hands from my touch?
"And if ye are unclean, purify yourselves. And if ye are sick or on a journey, or one of you cometh from the closet, or ye have had contact with women, and ye find not water, then go to clean, high ground and rub your faces and your hands with some of it" (5:6) Am I created dirty?

I just don't see how this could be 'misinterpreted'. And it's not even just Islam itself, it is the Muslim community. The backwards thinking, the hypocrisy, the oppression hidden behind smiles and empty arguments to trick yourself into believing it's the right thing to do. I don't want to lie to myself, and to God and to my family and say I want to represent this and I believe in this and it makes me happy. It doesn't. I am depressed. I feel like ****. I feel like I am losing purpose. I feel like my dreams are too far to reach.

And I can't ignore it any more. It's been 4 years of constant **** and right now I am itching in my own skin. I am suffering so much and I know it might never end. Because I would be ridiculed and looked down upon and disowned by my own community/ family, nobody would want to marry me, I'm going to be pointed at my mothers who tell their children not to be like me. People are going to scowl in disgust when they hear my name. And I am a person who craves validation. If someone doesn't like me, I go out of my way to make them like me, so that would absolutely destroy me.

Funny how a cloth on your head can do that to ya huh? But I don't know how to live my life the way I want and not to hurt or be hurt by those I love and those I call "family". I just need help. I don't need someone telling me I will go to Hell. God is merciful and will forgive my sins. You are not God.

Any words of reassurance? Advice? Anything?

Sounds painful. You need to understand that you can not make everyone happy. You need to think about your own benefit. What makes you happy and healthy. You have already shown sound reason and logic as to why you are unhappy and now you need to use sound logic and reason to make yourself happy. Your life can't dictated by your community for the rest of your life.
how am I trolling? what, just for disagreeing? piss off

/this isn't a thread for disagreement. This girl has a problem and your not helping so follow your own advice you keyboard warrior.
Reply 189
OP, be warned if you do take it off, you will be a target for the Muslim and left wing community
/this isn't a thread for disagreement. This girl has a problem and your not helping so follow your own advice you keyboard warrior.

she said "I want to take my hijab off" - I'm agreeing with HER and disagreeing with those that are reinforcing the compulsion to wear the hijab
but even if I WAS disagreeing with her - are you saying that his thread should be a ****ing echo chamber or something? :lol:
she said "I want to take my hijab off" - I'm agreeing with HER and disagreeing with those that are reinforcing the compulsion to wear the hijab
but even if I WAS disagreeing with her - are you saying that his thread should be a ****ing echo chamber or something? :lol:

No. What I am saying is that this forum should be answer by people that are actually going to help :K::K:
OP is probably is male BNP and Donald Trump supporter in real life. And faked this thread to make Muslims look bad. Pshhh.
(edited 7 years ago)
No. What I am saying is that this forum should be answer by people that are actually going to help :K::K:

if people never hear valid criticism, how will they ever learn?
Original post by ammarabbas
also you're bare confusing man..the thread starts with you bashing the quran now you're siding with it loool make your mind up pls.

NOOO I'm another person
NOT the ORIGInAL POSTER
if people never hear valid criticism, how will they ever learn?

Leave the chat pls. I have been saying help this poor girl and you say that she should take off her hiqab and now your saying about valid criticism, have some respect! What is there to criticise about taking of a hiqab? I don't know if your Muslim or not but I don't think you would understand.
Leave the chat pls. I have been saying help this poor girl and you say that she should take off her hiqab and now your saying about valid criticism, have some respect! What is there to criticise about taking of a hiqab? I don't know if your Muslim or not but I don't think you would understand.

I am helping her by telling her to take it off - she was thinking about it and I supported her. and I have to be a muslim to understand how stupid hijabs are? do I have to be a communist to understand how stupid communism is as well?
first of all, where tf did you get those interpretations from?
I definitely don't know the tafseer off by heart, but what I do know is that those the way you analysed them and made up those conclusions is definitely wrong. Quran isn't easily interpreted...I'm arab but I still struggle with knowing the tafseer of the quran. Be careful because you might get sins for misinterpreting it.
second of all, imagine if you die the day you took your hijab off. So after all these years of being patient, it's all gone to waste because of one day??
I'm not judging you but please think twice before doing something like this
(edited 7 years ago)
I am helping her by telling her to take it off - she was thinking about it and I supported her. and I have to be a muslim to understand how stupid hijabs are? do I have to be a communist to understand how stupid communism is as well?

Hijabs aren't stupid. There is a reason as to why there are hiqabs. Are you trying influence her decision just because you personally don't like hiqabs. I agree that if she wants to take it off, she should but it is HER decision and there are reasons for hiqabs. There is more to why she wants to get rid of her hiqab she is also questioning her faith. So I understand that you are trying to help but don't try to pressure your belief on others.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Again, they're not and the logical incompatibility has been explained. Simply saying they are doesn't mean they are.

I have explanations to believe they are. So they are.

Latest

Trending

Trending