The Student Room Group

Health and Social Care (gcse)

How do you revise for it? Should I bother learning the pies for each life stage as there are so many? What's the best revision for this subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes and no
For life stages you really just need to know generally what happens in each and have an idea of what you will write if that life stage comes up.
The main exceptions to this are infancy and menopause (middle adulthood). Your really need to go over infancy in detail so you know what happens mainly physically and intellectually and when, and perhaps do this for early childhood as well.
As for the menopause, you NEED to know at least the physical affects, and it would be best if you knew what happened intellectually, emotionally and socially as well.
Realistically, you really need to know how to relate PIES to their age and just have a general idea of what happens in each life stage depending on the circumstances.
So yes, you do need to revise the PIES for each life stage, but no, you don't need to memorise them, maybe try putting each part of PIES on a Q card for each life stage and try to get someone to quiz you on them, and put some notation at the bottom referring to the fact that it can be anything reasonable that may happen.
But yeah, I made a lot of Q cards at the start of this year when I finished some coursework early with EVERYTHING from unit 1 on, so I'd probably advise doing something like that, and remember to include PEEPS (physical, environmental, economic, psychological and social cultural factors) on the cards, and ANYTHING that has even the smallest chance of coming up.
Alternatively, it may be good to do some past papers, especially the 8 and ten markers, not so much the 1 markers at the start. Also, in my lessons sometimes we'll make up a random person and something that happens to them, and then just talk about what may happen to them and do that for a long time bouncing ideas off each other, or even just doing that for a 10 marker, either way, maybe try and do that with a small group of people (our class only has 9 people, so maybe a group similar to that, 2 max though really otherwise people will get left out).
I really hope this helps, but in reality, people revise in different ways, and some people do better doing different things, so maybe try experimenting with making mood boards or mind maps, just a couple of ideas, but seriously, I don't think that there's any one way to revise health and social care, and its what finding what works for you best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Beth Mitchell
Yes and no
For life stages you really just need to know generally what happens in each and have an idea of what you will write if that life stage comes up.
The main exceptions to this are infancy and menopause (middle adulthood). Your really need to go over infancy in detail so you know what happens mainly physically and intellectually and when, and perhaps do this for early childhood as well.
As for the menopause, you NEED to know at least the physical affects, and it would be best if you knew what happened intellectually, emotionally and socially as well.
Realistically, you really need to know how to relate PIES to their age and just have a general idea of what happens in each life stage depending on the circumstances.
So yes, you do need to revise the PIES for each life stage, but no, you don't need to memorise them, maybe try putting each part of PIES on a Q card for each life stage and try to get someone to quiz you on them, and put some notation at the bottom referring to the fact that it can be anything reasonable that may happen.
But yeah, I made a lot of Q cards at the start of this year when I finished some coursework early with EVERYTHING from unit 1 on, so I'd probably advise doing something like that, and remember to include PEEPS (physical, environmental, economic, psychological and social cultural factors) on the cards, and ANYTHING that has even the smallest chance of coming up.
Alternatively, it may be good to do some past papers, especially the 8 and ten markers, not so much the 1 markers at the start. Also, in my lessons sometimes we'll make up a random person and something that happens to them, and then just talk about what may happen to them and do that for a long time bouncing ideas off each other, or even just doing that for a 10 marker, either way, maybe try and do that with a small group of people (our class only has 9 people, so maybe a group similar to that, 2 max though really otherwise people will get left out).
I really hope this helps, but in reality, people revise in different ways, and some people do better doing different things, so maybe try experimenting with making mood boards or mind maps, just a couple of ideas, but seriously, I don't think that there's any one way to revise health and social care, and its what finding what works for you best :smile:

Okay thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jodie_mort
How do you revise for it? Should I bother learning the pies for each life stage as there are so many? What's the best revision for this subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what I do is use mindmaps from get revising :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest