The Student Room Group

What are the differences between nerves/neurones?

Another thing that I am confused about in core biology......
Reply 1
Original post by Perfection Ace
Another thing that I am confused about in core biology......

I don't think there is one. The definition for a neurone is a specialized cell that transmits nerve impulses, e.g a nerve cell.
Reply 2
A nerve is usually a bundle of lots of fibres and cells, while a neuron is a single cell.
Original post by luciie
I don't think there is one. The definition for a neurone is a specialized cell that transmits nerve impulses, e.g a nerve cell.

Ooo, okay! Thanks very much for your help! :smile:
Original post by alkyone
A nerve is usually a bundle of lots of fibres and cells, while a neuron is a single cell.

Ohh, alright thanks bro! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Perfection Ace
Ooo, okay! Thanks very much for your help! :smile:

No, she is wrong. A neuron (also called a nerve cell) is a cell that processes and transmits electrical impulses. It has several parts, with one of them being the axon, a long projection that the neuron uses to transmit the impulses to other neurons or cells.

A nerve is a bundle of such axons in the peripheral nervous system. It contains parts of many neurons (the axons), but not entire neurons itself.

So a nerve is not a neuron.
Original post by Sir Fox
No, she is wrong. A neuron (also called a nerve cell) is a cell that processes and transmits electrical impulses. It has several parts, with one of them being the axon, a long projection that the neuron uses to transmit the impulses to other neurons or cells.

A nerve is a bundle of such axons in the peripheral nervous system. It contains parts of many neurons (the axons), but not entire neurons itself.

So a nerve is not a neuron.

Ohhhhh, okay! Damn, nervous system is a complicated topic! Thanks for the help though!

Quick Reply

Latest