The Student Room Group

Best young driver second-hand car?

Hi guys!
I will be getting my driving license in a week's time. My parents told me that they're OK with buying me a car that's 1000 pounds or cheaper.
I've been looking in autotrader etc. and there's some good volkswagen golfs for 500 quid.
Is it a good car for a 18 year old lad? Any suggestions?
Cheers for anwering!
Reply 1
If your budget can stretch, I'd suggest a G-Wiz.
Original post by DMar15
Hi guys!
I will be getting my driving license in a week's time. My parents told me that they're OK with buying me a car that's 1000 pounds or cheaper.
I've been looking in autotrader etc. and there's some good volkswagen golfs for 500 quid.
Cheers for anwering!

i will do my test in summer time... :awesome:
any advice you wanna give me... i find theory test a bit difficult, i tried some online and dont understand hazard tests at all
how this whole thing work???
Reply 3
Original post by fatima1998
i will do my test in summer time... :awesome:
any advice you wanna give me... i find theory test a bit difficult, i tried some online and dont understand hazard tests at all
how this whole thing work???

Theory test is actually really easy, it's mostly about memorisation with some stuff and the rest is very logical. I think the best way to practice for the hazard test is to get an app, so you can get used to the real test as the videos are quite similar.
Original post by DMar15
Hi guys!
Cheers for anwering!

Golf Insurance :colone:
Original post by fhm97
Theory test is actually really easy, it's mostly about memorisation with some stuff and the rest is very logical. I think the best way to practice for the hazard test is to get an app, so you can get used to the real test as the videos are quite similar.

how did you revise for theory test???
Reply 6
how did you revise for theory test???

I bought an app from the play store and kept going through every question, after a while they repeat and they should be the same questions for your real test.
Original post by fhm97
I bought an app from the play store and kept going through every question, after a while they repeat and they should be the same questions for your real test.

what's that app called?
any specific things i need to revise for theory test?
Original post by DMar15
Hi guys!
Cheers for anwering!

Just something to bear in mind is insurance. I don't know what budget you've got available for that, but especially for much older cars, and new driver etc, it can be incredibly pricey, so it's worth looking at quotes before buying the car just in case, imo!
Reply 9
what's that app called?
any specific things i need to revise for theory test?

It's called Driving Theory Test by Deep River Development not sure if it's the best one but that was the one I used.
There's nothing much else you can do apart from that, think of it like another exam.
Reply 10
you want to go to a dealership, not autotrader unless you want a car with fake milage, no warranty, no service history etc
Original post by Gr16R
you want to go to a dealership, not autotrader unless you want a car with fake milage, no warranty, no service history etc

Proof?

Plenty of cars within AutoTrader are of great quality and have full dealership service history, I guess you're too stupid to find them though.
Reply 12
Original post by fr0sr_
Proof?

Plenty of cars within AutoTrader are of great quality and have full dealership service history, I guess you're too stupid to find them though.

plenty of expensive cars that are sold at good dealerships do yea, but if your on a budget and looking at cheap cars then your gonna get **** unless you go to a dealer with cars that have guaranteed mileage.

Also, allot of people on autotrader put fake pics up not showing scratches etc about the car and then when you get their you see how **** the car really is and realize you have just wasted your time.
Original post by mobbsy91
Just something to bear in mind is insurance. I don't know what budget you've got available for that, but especially for much older cars, and new driver etc, it can be incredibly pricey, so it's worth looking at quotes before buying the car just in case, imo!

This is a good piece of advice.
It always makes sense to do this.

Quick Reply

Latest