The Student Room Group

Boaty McBoatface Vs RRS Sir David Attenborough

Scroll to see replies

Why does everyone have this mock-everything ideology..... No one actually cares that the ship s supposed to be used to conduct important research. Calling it something so deliberately stupid is just a slap in the mcboatface and is actually disrespectful to everyone involved.

In light of this, I'm sure that everyone will rush to support it.

Mini-Rant over. Mostly.
Original post by iEthan
[rant]This annoyed me way more than it should have. Why ask the public for a vote and then decide not to listen to them? Grrrrrrrrrrr.[/rant]

Because what the public said was bizarre, idiotic, childish and confused? :dontknow:
Original post by Observatory
As opposed to HMS Cromwell (Thomas or Oliver?), HMS Queen Elizabeth (I or II?), HMS Churchill (John or Winston?)?

I am afraid naming ships for precision rather than art is a rather ugly American import.

Can we at least agree that "Sir" isn't necessary?

I find myself agreeing on your last point.
What about a compromise - David McDaveface?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Observatory
Why not simply RRS Attenborough?

Because of this perhaps?

https://youtu.be/RpRIz3Ev9GQ?t=3532
Reply 45
I don't get this Jo Johnson guy.
1. Make a poll
2. Completely disregard it.
3. Choose your own name, effectively slapping all the voters across the face.
4. Democracy???
Original post by gwagon
I don't get this Jo Johnson guy.
1. Make a poll
2. Completely disregard it.
3. Choose your own name, effectively slapping all the voters across the face.
4. Democracy???

Johnson didn't make a poll. As the minister responsible, he has merely had to clear up the mess.
Reply 47
Original post by nulli tertius
Johnson didn't make a poll. As the minister responsible, he has merely had to clear up the mess.

There was hardly any mess to clear up when the top contender was literally 100,000 votes up from the next one...
Original post by gwagon
There was hardly any mess to clear up when the top contender was literally 100,000 votes up from the next one...

Of course there was a mess to clear up.

100,000 votes is an insignificant proportion of the total numbers of UK taxpayers who were paying for this vessel, the majority of whom would have been unaware of the existence of the poll and would not have given a fig if it was named after Attenborough, Scott or Shackleton. Do you think the Daily Mail wouldn't have got many more than 100,000 to protest about a joke choice if such was made?

Moreover the scientific community would have gone ballistic if they thought their work was being belittled.

There is now going to be a Parliamentary enquiry but I can tell you now that the outcome will be that public bodies must never again have open competitions which are vulnerable to hijacking. The government dodged a bullet with a humorous name. As was seen with the hijacking of the pop charts following Margaret Thatcher's death, they could have ended up with the RRS Blair is a War Criminal.

As it was, it was perfectly obvious that the choice RRS Catalina De Aragon was made by Spanish participants in the Gibraltar issue rather than by folk celebrating a queen of England with no known interest in exploration.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think that this is a good compromise as Sir David Attenborough has done a lot for science and for making science accessible to the public with many regarding him as a national treasure, myself included and apparently they are naming a submarine which is going to be on the boat the Boaty Mcboatface so its not like they are completely disregarding what the public wanted.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reue
Why bother with a poll asking for suggestions? Should have just given options people had to pick from.

Oh come on, it wasn't exactly a full-on referendum..they were just getting suggestions - and I'm sure it'll always be known as that informally
Reply 51
Original post by medapplicant2016
Oh come on, it wasn't exactly a full-on referendum..they were just getting suggestions - and I'm sure it'll always be known as that informally

Well that certainly helps me sleep better at night
I'm glad they won't be calling it Boaty McBoatface. Ridiculous name for a ship that will do such important work. If people care so much about having a ship called Boaty McBoatface then they can raise the money and pay for it themselves.
Democracy has failed, next stop North Korea.:biggrin:

I think naming it after Henry Worsley would have been quite fitting, it would have been my choice.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Because what the public said was bizarre, idiotic, childish and confused? :dontknow:

lol wow, well put.

Did some people seriously think that the NERC was going to act on a joke suggestion -- let alone that they should act on it?

I found the suggestion pretty funny originally, but that was on the assumption that everyone knew it wasn't going anywhere...
It's a decent save tbh, everyone's loves DA and they've named a side vessel boaty. Still, that's democracy for you, democracy WHEN IT SUITS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That Bearded Man
It's a decent save tbh, everyone's loves DA and they've named a side vessel boaty. Still, that's democracy for you, democracy WHEN IT SUITS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually democracy is about which people are in charge, not what you call boats.

"The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight."

W S Churchill

Fascist FoS at it again :rolleyes:

Original post by Snufkin
I'm glad they won't be calling it Boaty McBoatface. Ridiculous name for a ship that will do such important work. If people care so much about having a ship called Boaty McBoatface then they can raise the money and pay for it themselves.
On the radio some guy called in to say he was naming his canal boat instead. I wish people got as angry about things that actually matter as they did about this :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Fascist FoS at it again :rolleyes:

On the radio some guy called in to say he was naming his canal boat instead. I wish people got as angry about things that actually matter as they did about this :s-smilie:

It serves the same role as football, distraction for the angry masses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending