The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omen96
You have not addressed the question at hand. Why do the left actively defend and promote Islam?

I have, at least part of your question. I can defend it on grounds of freedom of believe and expression.

As for actively promoting Islam. What do you mean? I take promoting to mean "hey Islam is great, start worshipping Allah" or something comparable. I don't see many non-Muslims actively promoting Islam.

(which is completely false for the left, only look to America, the left hold violent protests at every peaceful trump rally, freedom of expression my ***, but strangely the left never protest at Islamic rallies which promote sharia law, death of homosexuals, strange, one would think the left support these), and another thing to make out Islam is a peaceful, loving, tolerant religion.

How often do you protest at these Islamic rallies?
Reply 41
Original post by ivybridge
I think the entire premise is absurd. You're wrong.

/thread addressed. Move on.

I am wrong to say Islam is barbaric? You have just proved the point of the thread- how the left have grown to a accept and love Islam. Thank you for your input, you have me exactly what I wanted :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman
Non sequitur, much? That logic would disqualify the opinions of the religious themselves, for being inevitably biased in the opposite direction.

If admit to hating all other religions then yes. If you hate something, what you say and think about it is based on emotion and not facts or fair evidence.
Original post by Trapz99
LOL I think rainy Islam is a bit more peaceful tho

Spoiler

Reply 44
Original post by Quantex
I have, at least part of your question. I can defend it on grounds of freedom of believe and expression.

As for actively promoting Islam. What do you mean? I take promoting to mean "hey Islam is great, start worshipping Allah" or something comparable. I don't see many non-Muslims actively promoting Islam.

How often do you protest at these Islamic rallies?

I have never attended a protest in my life or a strike. I have finances and academia to contend with to waste my time on such things. I find it strange how the left have time to protest against "the right" but not Islamic rallies. At least I don't protest at all
Why generalise the entire left as people that love Islam? So you're saying the likes of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Stephen Fry etc aren't left wingers?
Original post by GdotMdot
If admit to hating all other religions then yes. If you hate something, what you say and think about it is based on emotion and not facts or fair evidence.

Again, this is a complete non sequitur. This would only be the case if somebody hated something before looking at it objectively. Hatred for something can and frequently does follow on from looking at it objectively. By your logic, it's impossible to rationally hate anything at all, which is patently false.
Reply 48
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Why generalise the entire left as people that love Islam? So you're saying the likes of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Stephen Fry etc aren't left wingers?

I forgot to add as a disclaimer, "majority of the left" but my post was moreso directed at the left wingers on TSR who can't bring themselves to say Islam is a barbaric ideology
Original post by Hydeman
Again, this is a complete non sequitur. This would only be the case if somebody hated something before looking at it objectively. Hatred for something can and frequently does follow on from looking at it objectively. By your logic, it's impossible to rationally hate anything at all, which is patently false.

But the original poster is no longer looking objectively or debating objectively. Therefore his current comments are based on emotion. I have better things to do than continue this debate on a saturday night so I'm not replying anymore.
Original post by Omen96
I have never attended a protest in my life or a strike. I have finances and academia to contend with to waste my time on such things. I find it strange how the left have time to protest against "the right" but not Islamic rallies. At least I don't protest at all

And I find it strange that you complain about people not protesting against the more regressive elements of Islam yet you are not prepared to do so yourself.
Reply 51
Original post by Quantex
And I find it strange that you complain about people not protesting against the more regressive elements of Islam yet you are not prepared to do so yourself.

I have stated the point twice and you have missed it entirely lol. I said why do the left have time to protest against the "right" but not extremist Muslims? I hope that the 3rd time makes it clearer

The point is I'm not the hypocrite, the left are. I don't protest against one group over another, the left do
Original post by GdotMdot
But the original poster is no longer looking objectively or debating objectively.

And what's your evidence for this? Your initial assertion was that it's impossible for him to do so because of his dislike for religion. That has clearly been shown to be false, and making up further claims to try to avoid conceding a mistake won't help here.

I have better things to do than continue this debate on a saturday night so I'm not replying anymore.

Ah, what a surprise.

Who would love to stick him on a plane back to where he came from, with all his family.
Original post by Omen96
I have stated the point twice and you have missed it entirely lol. I said why do the left have time to protest against the "right" but not extremist Muslims? I hope that the 3rd time makes it clearer

The point is I'm not the hypocrite, the left are. I don't protest against one group over another, the left do

No, I haven't missed it. I just prefer people who take action. They change the world, sitting at your keyboard complaining about things achieves nothing.
Reply 55
Original post by Quantex
No, I haven't missed it. I just prefer people who take action. They change the world, sitting at your keyboard complaining about things achieves nothing.

So we both agree the left are hypocrites for always protesting against the "right" but not Islamic fascist events?
Reply 56
Original post by Dan Jarvis
I would stand on the policy of deporting every asian to start with- then the eastern European. Australians and Kiwi's can stay because a large percentage of them was originally British (British convicts from years ago) What i will not take is foreigners taking a pop at my country after choosing to come here. Islam is a threat because of homegrown terrorism i will give you some cities where i think Home grown potential terrorists live en masse

1.Bradford
2. Luton
3. Leicester
4 Birmingham

Are you suggesting to me, when the press did a release which suggested it is thought that there is around 450 ISIS fighters- or citizens who went to Syria and returned. This report suggests since ISIS has been a sufficient force in the middle east 450- have gone and returned from Syria.(http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/619639/450-jihadis-UK-homegrown-terrorists-copycat-attacks-ISIS-Paris)

Whilst it would be speculative to say that they are all ISIS members - a lot of them potentially could be and if they split in to regional groups and then go on recruitment drives, they could potentially be radicallising muslims in their regions, they have a potential army of around 4 million if they convince all muslims- very unlikely because some are good people , it has to be said if they can recruit a further 600 radical muslims from the UK a army of potentially 1000 suicide bombers is frightening, and you dismiss Islam as being a threat. Before you go off on one saying ISIS are no longer muslims, they have read the Qu'Ran in Saudi Arabia , the grand puppet of radical islam. That is my final contribution in regards to answering you . The policy of deporting every foreigner would see me win 400 out of 650 seats in the UK

Don't waste your time, ivy bridge is one of the born again Muslims, an example of the left I'm talking about, and even better he's a homosexual defending Islam, a religion which would execute him, you couldn't make it up
Original post by Oblivion99
It has 1.7 billion followers, surely some have the common sense to depart and eridacate from such an ideology if it was so bad?

Some have: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3156455. :tongue:
Original post by Omen96
First of all, I would be happy if a moderator could confirm if I'm allowed to tag users on TSR who represent the topic at hand, with their quotes of course? I don't want to have the thread deleted as a result.

Secondly, before you bring up Christianity or Judaism, im a strict atheist and hate all religion, the reason we focus on Islam is because the left have a special relationship with the ideology.

Now, on a number of my previous threads and on other threads we have see left wingers defend and express their support for Islam. They will say stuff like "these actions are not representative of Islam", "islam is peace", "islam is tolerant"...only previously a user asked me for evidence when I suggested the majority of the Islamic world are opposed to homosexuality because she believed it was only a small handful minority, that's the level of denial the left have reached, they will not accept homosexuals are persecuted in the Islamic world.

Why do the left defend Islam? It is barbaric and like any religion is responsible for the deaths of catastrophic numbers. There is nothing peaceful about the Quran or tolerant or loving. The Hadiths are worse. Yet the left will attack you for admitting that.

I challenge a left winger to say Islam is a barbaric ideology. I will say the same about any of these ideologies if you ask

Because in this day and age it is the left that most often defends the rights of the minorities. And Muslims as a minority have face great discrimination and prejudice in the west and fighting that discrimination is fair and noble and one that I support. The issue is sometimes that effort leads to murk pay waters, eg working with extremist and stifling legitimate critism of the Muslim community and of Islam.

Original post by sfaraj

you said most are against homosexuality, where did you get that from? i dont remember taking part in a survey as to whether or not i agree with homosexuality...also if that were to be true, im pretty sure the muslims in my school would have protested against having an lgbt society, and no muslims would have attended it, however, there are muslims that go to the lgbt society and nobody has protested against it
f

Study after study has shown Muslims world wide and in britian are simply not accepting towards homosexuality and are in fact hostile towards it

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/living%20apart%20together%20-%20jan%2007.pdf
Reply 59
Background, I'm a muslim, and live in the muslim world. I always tend to slide left in politics even in Pakistan and in western politics I'd always choose left. I'm not going to generalise the entire western left wing, so I'm going to focus on mostly the SJW leaning left. You know, the lefties that tend to annoy right wingers and give them the impression that the entire left is an Islamic Apologists Anonymous.

It's because the modern left seems to be hell bent on the idea that "we (as in, white people) need to kill all prejudice and stand up for the oppressed". Their crying chant has been that "Europeans have done the world a crime with the empires, and now we must never make that mistake again". Wherever there is a minority, they'll stand up.

That's where muslim comes in. They're a minority. They get harassed. Ergo, they need help. Bear in mind, that in this way, the more the right "hates" muslims, the more the left "loves" them.

Now this both annoys me and satisfies me. On one hand, it's great that there will always be people who will support me against any harassment I receive if I were to go to the west. I don't plan to force Sharia or mock them for their lifestyle, so I won't feel guilty as I didn't do anything wrong.

It annoys me, however, because I realise that the only reason the SJW lefties love me is because I'd be a minority in the "white, christian world". The Quran and Bible agree so much, yet its okay to make jokes on the Bible only.
It also annoys me because it seems to give muslims a oppressed complex. As if there aren't minority rights worse in Pakistan. As if the Arabs never traded slaves. Of course, this goes more towards Pakistan and most of the Middle East. There are muslim countries which have great minority rights. It's just that while lefties in the white world are shouting about every flaw in their system and having it fixed, us muslims are looking at those flaws and being like "ugh white people can't treat muslims well" and don't say a word about our own countries and leaving our countries unfixed. I wish there was such a left revolution in Pakistan, where we numb on every flaw in our system and have it fixed. That's why this whole "white jokes are okay" annoys ME, because it acts like only white people are on the top and oppressing people. I kinda strayed off topic, sorry.

(btw, still pissed at the right wing for Iraq and the bombs on Syria and the excessive hate towards us. It's not like i love you now lmao dw)

I still end up agreeing with the left, though, because at least they don't want me kicked out and my right to harmlessly believe attacked.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending